Quicken frequently crashes during one step update &/or accepting downloaded transactions

Options
jston
jston Member ✭✭

Running latest Quicken Premier (R51.12 B27.1.51.12) on fully updated Windows 10 Home PC equipped with 11th Gen Intel i7 & 32GB RAM.

Quicken data has been successfully validated & super-validated multiple times without issue and has even been trimmed. It's not a PC system/capacity problem. But does have the feel of a (Quicken-specific) memory/capacity issue - as behavior often happens shortly after PC reboot with no other apps running and the PC using less than 20% of memory during such instances.

One step update (multiple financial institutions) takes much longer than it used to and appears to "spin" about halfway thru list, whereas it previously seemed to make steady progress thru accounts/institutions.

Crash will occasionally occur during update, but more common issue is immediately post-update, while accepting downloaded transactions. Either as a straightforward crash during download acceptance or frequently as a transaction that software fails to accept (transaction stays on download list & program must be closed/reopened to continue accepting transactions). Again - very much the feel of some unidentified memory/capacity limit within the software.

Based on prior discussions over an extended time frame, this is a widely shared issue - what has been done to fix?

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @jston,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did the issue start happening?  Which version of Quicken were you using when it started? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jston
    jston Member ✭✭
    Options

Issue has existed for probably a year, at times more frequently than others. No idea what Quicken version it originated on. Active file is on C:drive, with backup on external hard drive. No cloud/network involved or any surge issues.

As mentioned, issues involve straightforward crashes during download as well as post-download (i.e. accepting downloaded transactions) issues where program simply stops accepting downloaded transactions until restarted. Again - feels very much like some sort of memory/capacity constraint within software (not on PC, which retains ample memory capacity during such incidents).

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

I can see you spoke with Quicken Support back in October about this issue and they recommended trying making a copy/template of your file. Did making a copy of the file help?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jston
    jston Member ✭✭
    Options

No - problem remains persistent.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1) Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND
    2) do you actually use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web browser-based app?

The Sync process has been suspected of a number of weird happenings with Quicken.
    Could your problem be caused by Sync?

If you answer "yes" to the 1st question and "no" to the 2nd question, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If you answer "yes" to both questions, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

How to reset Sync to Cloud

• Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Sync your desktop file to the cloud
    • Now log back into your mobile app

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• jston
    jston Member ✭✭
    Options

sync radio button is & has always been set to off

• JohnClark
    JohnClark Member
    Options

@jston Your story sounds exactly like mine. Usually by One Step Update crashes the first time it runs but will run OK the second time.

The only difference between my setup and @jston is that I am on Windows 11 Home edition.

• mjxm
    mjxm Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Is there anything new to report about this issue? Has anyone had any luck in what the cause may or may not be, and how it may be addressed or at least worked around?

• kpelters
    kpelters Member
    Options

Looking for a solution as well. Same issues, shuts down and closes Quicken after attempting to use "update now" for transactions. Tried three different bank accounts and result is the same. It is new, haven't had this issue before. Quicken is loaded on my external drive, and I'm not using the mobile app.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One Step Update, and subsequently accepting transactions, never crashes for me. The first troubleshooting step would be to reboot your computer, run Quicken, create a new data file, enter some online financial institutions, and try some test One Step Updates with the new test data file. The results will indicate whether it's a data file issue, or a Quicken installation/configuration issue.

• jston
    jston Member ✭✭
    Options

RalphC - appreciate the post, but what is your suggestion around my years of legacy data?

• cdw1
    cdw1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem. Windows 10, data on C drive, no syncs with mobile or external apps or files. Always update to most recent Quickens release. Started a few updates ago. Have run all the suggested validate file, super validate file and so forth with no success. Also have noticed the extended time for the One Step Update to work. Have 4 accounts running on Express Web Connect. When there are only 1-3 transactions, the accept downloaded transactions will usually work. 4 or more and it hangs then crashes Quickens forcing a close and start again. I have to manually enter each transaction so that it will match before I can move forward.

This has to be a problem with Quickens. Please help.

• J_Rapp
    J_Rapp Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh where oh where are the developers,
    Oh where oh where can they be?
    No activity for two weeks, system crashes on One Step Update all over the place.
    No reference or help to users.
    I see there was a long time user of Quicken who has given up on the product, lack of support.
    How about a post as to where you are with this problem, thanks in advance.

• J_Rapp
    J_Rapp Member ✭✭
    Options

Checking back here to see if there are any updates to this reported problem.
    I am in the exact same sinking ship that I was in two weeks ago.
    Version R52.20 Build 27.1.52.20
    I have no gadgets to worry about, I am NOT using SYNC, entirely turned off.
    How about developers find a solution to this problem.
    I have reportted to you that you are loosing long term customers due to inability to address things that were working and have broken along the way, without proper quality control release procedures in place.

• J_Rapp
    J_Rapp Member ✭✭
    Options

Checking back AGAIN on OCtober 2nd to see if there are any updates to this reported problem.
    I am in the exact same sinking ship that I was in a month ago.
    Now on Version R52.28 Build 27.1.52.28
    I have no gadgets to worry about, I am NOT using SYNC, entirely turned off.

After performing one QFX import, quicken immediately crashes upon the import of that file. 😪😥👺

How about developers find a solution to this problem.
    I have reportted to you that you are loosing long term customers due to inability to address things that were working and have broken along the way, without proper quality control release procedures in place.

• J_Rapp
    J_Rapp Member ✭✭
    Options

I have also copied my file over to a non-ONEDRIVE file system, and the behavior of performing an QFX import again CRASHES QUICKEN. I have also performed a SUPER FILE VALIDATE, and this does not solve the problem either.
    I really need some quicken support to correct these crashes.

• J_Rapp
    J_Rapp Member ✭✭
    Options

Called into Tech support yesterday and worked with a level 3 support person.
    Though we spent a bit less than three hours trying to get Quicken to stop crashing, we had no luck.
    Prior information entered here is still accurate.
    Performed check of the windows version, validated quicken version and still even does not work with QW27.1.52.28MPatch.exe loaded from the support website.
    Created another clean quicken data file TEST123, then did a QFX import into the brand new file, without any success - - - we still crash on each import; very annoying. 😥
    Also turned off virus checking (per log files these never were an issue within processing on Norton).
    … Will have to call in again, but I am very doubtful that the problem will be resolved. 😥
    Not sure if quicken has the underlying tools to identify the problem (maybe it's a microsoft .net update, who knows) and without some sniffing software on their end, will be hard to identify the culprit. At least the file processes and I can restart after a QFX import or a One-Step Update.

• jston
    jston Member ✭✭
    Options

J_Rapp -genuinely appreciate your efforts (& shared frustration). Remains curious to me that Quicken has spent meaningful dev resources updating their branding, while simultaneously degrading their brand with those most likely (but definitely not guaranteed) to continue to pay for it…

I am not a software developer, but continue to believe that this is some sort of cache/memory issue within/caused by the transaction download element of the Quicken software.

My experience is that it is far more likely (but not 100%) to occur after a large transaction batch downloads and frequently allows me to accept many transactions before "refusing" to accept any more, if not crashing outright. Virtually all the time, I am able to restart Quicken and accept the remaining transactions. I have also seemed to have success closing/reopening Quicken after a download - but before accepting any transactions - which usually allows all downloaded transactions to be accepting in the subsequent session.

There is some hidden cache or other limit the downloads element of the program is bumping up against. I just wish we had any sense that Quicken management was indicating ANY effort to find & resolve it.

• J_Rapp
    J_Rapp Member ✭✭
    Options

Hey @jston
    Thanks for providing the commentary - I justed backed you up with the same from me. Frustration is 1) that no one is checking the community for updates, 2) They say one thing from the release notes (R52.20 What's Fixed: Issues causes application errors/crashes) but appears no checking of the update was made or they fixed one thing causing another problem, 3) The superusers connected to the community are not going their job by providing a forum for gettings fixed rather than putting a kabosh on problems/issues.

I think there may be something in the windows home version that is colliding with programmed functionality. I don't think they have multiple computers to test releases to validate those releases. They need to hire someone from Microsoft who can tell them how to perform their jobs better and provide customers the quality product they deserve. This bug started sometime in late July or early August, but no one is investigating and there must be tons of time customers are spending calling the support desk.

Like your comment: I just wish we had any sense that Quicken management was indicating ANY effort to find & resolve it.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@J_Rapp you may want to review this FAQ to see what roles super users and others have on this forum:

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hung during OSU, Crash at Startup or other unexplainable malfunctions in Quicken for Windows

Please verify this:

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP user variables point to a valid and existing folder,
    typically C:\Windows\Temp or C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ (or create one) e.g., C:\Temp, and reboot Windows.

If the Temp folder is located on a too-small SSD C: - drive and you have an internal standard hard disk, too, move the Temp folder to the internal hard disk and change the TEMP and TMP variables
    If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by MS OneDrive or other cloud backup software at all.

Run CHKDSK C: /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab).

• J_Rapp
    J_Rapp Member ✭✭
    Options

Hey @jston
    You will never guess what funtionality is now working, and seems that we are the testers of the functionality, which appears to give us a system crash as what we think it is, but it is designed to be a Quicken shutdown / crash / purposefully to have that funtionality after the processing of an imported file.

Looks like the moderator @Quicken Kristina and superuser @UKR missed this functionality as a feature, we considered it a bug.
    Quite frankly, I do not ever recall having that setting as blank, but when it is blank, it behaves like an application crash.

From the menu, select Edit > Preferences.
    Then find the 8th row called Web Connect.
    Mark the checkbox Keep Quicken open after Web Connect completes.

Do let me know if this works. And maybe the other superusers and moderators can update other community questions that others have under the same with "windows" and "crashes" like we had in our tags. Total time spent on this topic has been over six hours, ouch. Certainly interested as to why this is now happenning as I don't believe I have ever cleared this flag which was hopefully marked with a positive checkbox previously in past release applications.

Sincerely

• mshiggins
    Options

@J_Rapp the title of this discussion is “…crashes during one step update…”. Downloading transactions via Web Connect is not the same as One Step Update.

• J_Rapp
    J_Rapp Member ✭✭
    Options

Hey @mshiggins
    The normal user would not care if the functionality invoked is "One Step Update" (quicken behaves like it crashes), Downloading transactions via Web Connect (quicken behaves like it crashes), or directly accessing the menu command File→ Import→ Web Connect (quicken behaves like it crashes). When working with product support AND development, all operations lead to quicken behaves like it crashes.
    - There you go again… Why is there so much defending from superusers…
    - Get with the program, Superusers need to be supporting the "quicken community" and act like a resource (paid or unpaid) to help those who put questions out there that need solving
    - This problem as I see it was easily solvable, yet no one really delved a decent question to the original reporter, and this went without a solution for exactly two months
    - I joined the existing discussion on this title “…crashes during one step update…” because I was getting the same behavior there as well as the other two paths to the same feature/function. Makes sense from a normal user to do so, and we don't have the capability once added to improve the title of discussions (though we would like to go back sometimes and do so)
    - @mshiggins, not sure what/who your comment is trying to justify. The title of this issue is "Quicken frequently crashes during one step update &/or accepting downloaded transactions". You comment [["the title of this discussion is “…crashes during one step update…”. Downloading transactions via Web Connect is not the same as One Step Update."]] - What good is this type of commentary into the community except to bash both the reporter of the message and the participants. Anyway, it seems to me that the reporter of the message when he reported ["&/or accepting downloaded transactions"] did an outstanding job of covering his/her bases as the problem where QUICKEN CRASHES after completing an importation procedure.
    - I also ignored your Who's Who in the Community FAQ. It was a putdown. You could have instead posed a question, delved into the problem a bit more, but no, you choose to get a pin in your bonnet by putting the user in their place instead of picking the user up and elevating the community support. If I said directly "I hope you get to a training class on how to interact with users" you might feel like I felt when what FAQ appears as the first thing from you on this issue.

I've learned something about providing good customer service that was instilled to all of my CSRs.
    The rule is… DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.
    - You did an excellent job of breaking the first rule of good customer support.
    - You are not the only one with this similar behavior.
    I read many articles here where many of your compatriots have similar inclinations. What is going on with this company where support is overwhelmingly clouded with a superiority complex and those implied messages ferret to the user community. @quicken community

• mshiggins
    Options

@J_Rapp thanks so much for your guidance.

• BHOutfitter
    Options

Keep Quicken open was already checked. My program closes anyway. Syn log data shows the latest date, but nothing was updated.

• jston
    jston Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks to J_Rapp and others for their persistence/color.

I have reviewed the recent notes and unfortunately, they are not solutions to the issue I'm seeing. Temp file is set up as suggested and web connect box was checked when I opened setting.

Crashes are not consistent, but they are still happening under circumstances originally described. Main indication issue is unresolved is that Quicken download continues to hang for several minutes in middle of process (before eventually crashing or completing). Again, if no crash during update, work-around appears to be closing/reopening Quicken post-download. Still convinced this is a memory issue with the way Quicken compiles transaction download that gets "refreshed" upon reopening program.

Regardless - really just want acknowledgement from development team that they are working to solve the issue…

This discussion has been closed.