Net worth report -$92-quadrillion after entering stock transaction(edited $)

Options
Joe6
Joe6 Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Reports (Windows)

A single purchase of stock was entered and the net worth report show -$100M

After deleting the transaction the report is back to normal.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Enter the transaction correctly the next time. Make sure the shares and the price and the price history information are all correct and consistent with each other.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did this problem occur right after you entered the purchase, or were there other transactions, a software update, sync to mobile, etc. before it occurred?

Is everything OK after re-entering the transaction as @q_lurker describes?

QWin Premier subscription
  • Joe6
    Joe6 Member ✭✭
    Options

Occurred right after the purchase was entered.

I deleted it and it goes away

I reenter it and it goes -$100M

It's a money market with a price of $1.00 that doesn't change.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Go to Tools > Security list and click on the name of the security in question to open its Security Detail page. At the top, click on More then Edit Price History.

Is there anything odd there that might explain the issue?

QWin Premier subscription
  • Joe6
    Joe6 Member ✭✭
    Options

When a buy transaction is entered it goes negative capital gains. Here is the report.

Any suggestions?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is the 92-quadrillion problem. See this post

A deeper search on that term might also help. Basically, you have a key transaction corrupted that needs to be deleted. It may be an issue with an entire security. Restoring a backup may be a viable option.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Could it be caused by the bought date of 8/17/2023 being AFTER the sold date of 6/5/2023? Quicken might not know how to deal with that.

If you correct the bought and/or sold dates (maybe the dates are simply inverted?) does that resolve the issue?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Joe6
    Joe6 Member ✭✭
    Options

Got a permissions error trying that link

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That particular post is archived so regular users don't have access to it. The $92 quadrillion number has been associated with data corruption and in the archived post dealt with a somewhat similar problem in an Investment Account. A suggestion by a SU was:

____________________________________________________________________________

If you haven't already, I suggest that you attempt to determine which of these transactions might have been corrupted by deleting them one at a time.  If you're able to identify bad transactions, you may be able restore a current backup and try deleting just the bad transactions and then reentering them.

The original poster came back with this:

I fixed it. By running investment reports was able to narrow it down to a trade in an IRA account involving Cisco. Eventually found that it was every trade involving Cisco in that account; about ten of them, all 10 - 15 years ago. Tried some test transactions with that security; sometimes caused $92 quad, sometimes not. Changing to any other security in the bad transactions fixed it. So, I deduced CSCO was the problem and did the following:

--I changed the name of it to Cisco - corrupted, and changed the symbol to CSCO-X.

--Then added new security CSCO.

--Went thru' and edited each trade, all of which were showing CSCO-X, to the new security CSCO

--Followed by validate and rebuild investing lots because account balance was off.

--Then deleted CSCO-X.

So far no more $92 quadrillion (knock on wood).

So the "cure" here is to find the bad transaction that is causing the $92 quadrillion problem, if you can.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In addition to all the above, also please review the Quote Price History for this security. Look for one or more entries with prices not equal to 1.00 and delete those.

This discussion has been closed.