Expired Subscription Banners - Can I get rid of Them Without Resubscribing? [Edited]

Options
300 Guy
300 Guy Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Installing and Updating (Mac)

I cannot update any more because I will not update my operating system for some other programs I use and now Quicken has all this [Removed - Language] on the left side on my banking window and at the top of the tool bar telling me I need to renew! I know I need to and I will not renew because of the operating system. How do I get rid of all the garbage? I am tired of looking at it! [Edited - Readability]

Tagged:

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I too have an older program that will not operate under current macOS. But rather than let that program keep me from updating to the current OS, I run the older macOS in a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop and run that program there. Then i don't have the risks of running an old OS and can upgrade all my other software. Something to consider.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I have a Mac running macOS Mojave, which does not support the current version of Quicken. However, I am still able to run the latest compatible version (6.12) on that Mac without problem. (Version 6.12 will run on Mojave and High Sierra.)

As for the renewal nags, there is simply no way to get rid of them without having a current subscription. As I've noted, you can have a current subscription without having the current version of software. But if you want to continue using Quicken without paying for a subscription, you're stuck with the renewal banners.

I personally think it's poor marketing to try to annoy your customers into renewing, but apparently the powers that be at Quicken find that the positives of getting people to renew outweigh the negatives of unhappy customers (who are now former customers). Users have lobbied against this since it went into effect with the start of subscriptions in 2018, but nothing has changed over the past 5 years.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • 300 Guy
    300 Guy Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I completely agree! I wish there was a way to get a whole bunch of us ( I mean 1000's) as customers to be able to send the administration a big petition requesting they change it to our liking, but they have this support community so strung out with so many subjects it is impossible to get everyone on one page. Many years ago I talked to one of the senior program designers and was PROMISED a certain item would happen within 2 months. I am still waiting for that to happen! I have tried other accounting programs and did not like any of the others. So I guess I am kinda stuck with Quicken even though if I could find something I like, I would drop Quicken like a hot potato! [Removed - Speculation/Rant] If you can't tell, I use to be a really strong supporter of Quicken and now there is more I hate then like! Just like 75 to 100 people at one time asked for the button to start a new file each and every year. We were scattered all over the support site and it was impossible to put us all together. [Removed - Speculation] My accountant does not want one file for a bunch of years. He just wants to look at one file for one year! This is the stuff I hate about Quicken and will not show my support for it in the future unless the owners listen to our requests since we pay their salaries!

I certainly hope the big boys in their ivory towers read this and put their thinking caps on so we ,the people who buy their product, start making us like and feel good about using their product! [Edited - Readability]

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@300 Guy I hate to disappoint you, but the executives at Quicken don't read these threads. 😉

As for protesting the "nag" renewal banners, I'd say two things. First, there were major protests when subscriptions first went into effect, but The Powers That Be felt that this was a compromise; their original plan was to make Quicken read-only when subscriptions expired but they agreed to allow manual entry in return for imposing the nag banners.

Second, if you think of it from Quicken management's perspective, why should they stop nagging people to renew? People who have let their subscription lapse are no longer paying customers; they're only useful to the company if they continue to pay for the upkeep of the program. (I'm not saying I think the Quicken honchos are doing the right thing, but I understand.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.