Portfolio view for Retirement Accounts Doesn't Include Closed Accounts

Options
mike_n
mike_n Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Mac)

Over time as accounts close I've moved those balances move to other accounts (e.g., move 401k funds from one employer's plan to another). In the Portfolio (chart) view of my retirement account balances, my current balance is correct and recent history as well. But the overall chart shows a number of jumps where those closed balances moved to the new accounts. It's like the original funds from the now-closed accounts never existed and suddenly appear in the current account. The transactions are all correct and I assume Quicken is functioning as designed since it does correctly show the history of the currently-open accounts…it's just not as helpful as I'd think it should be. Is there a way to see the ACTUAL balances for ALL my retirement accounts over time without re-opening all those closed accounts?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

This is a flaw in Quicken Mac's design. A former product manager agreed it was a bug they needed to fix, but nothing has ever been done about it. Please click the link below for an Idea thread — a request for program enhancement — regarding this issue and add your vote. More votes for Ideas can help the development team gauge the relative importance of one idea versus others. (To vote: locate the large yellow box under the first post and click the little arrow under the vote counter. )

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mike_n
    mike_n Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the link, I'm disappointed this has been a bug for so long.

Question: When viewing the post you linked, I see the yellow box that says "under consideration" but there's no arrow under the vote counter (currently at 16 votes). I am logged in when doing this. What am I missing?

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I like to refer to the voting button as a triangle. Perhaps this picture will illustrate where to click to vote for ideas. (The votes are now up to 17 because I just voted for it. I, agree, this should have been fixed years ago.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• jacobs
    edited September 2023
    Options

The arrow/triangle/button will appear dark grey for an idea you have not voted on…

… and light gray for an Idea you have already voted for:

An Idea marked as "Under Consideration" means it has been sent from this site's moderators to the product development team. Eventually it will be changed to "Planned" or "Not Planned", but that can take time because the developers need to complete an assessment of what's involved in implementing the idea, how long it will take, and assigning it a time slot on their development roadmap.

• mike_n
    mike_n Member ✭✭
    Options

Awesome, thank you. Up to 18 votes!

• jacobs
    edited September 2023
    Options

I'm adding here what the previous Quicken Mac product manager said when this issue was brought up in August 2021:

Quite honestly, it's just an oversight on our part. Of course, historical data from closed accounts should appear in a market value overtime chart, and if you go back in time in the portfolio view when clicked on an investment group section such as Investing you should, at least, have the option of seeing your data from a hidden account. We'll investigate. I don't know how easy or hard it is but my guess is that it shouldn't be too difficult.

Apparently this got lost in the cracks, or turned out to be much more difficult to fix than it appeared. (I'm guessing it more the former.)

This discussion has been closed.