Home View options

Options
aLfGordon
aLfGordon Member ✭✭

Trying to personalize my Home - View. In the account area, it reports values of all accounts, including accounts that have not been used in years and have zero balance. I've looked everwhere and can't find a way to eliminate them from the View page. All of these accounts have been ticked in the account list as to hide from view. How can I accomplish this?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks to you both for clarifying that for me. I can sometimes be a bit dense and this appears to have been one of those times.

@aLfGordon - The only way I think you can do that (without actually deleting the account) would be to go to the Display Options tab of Account Details and check the box for Keep this account separate - account will be excluded from Quicken reports and features. It will not show up in this All Accounts card any longer. But it also means that the account will no longer be included in most other reports and features. If you still want the account included in those other reports and features you would need to go the customizations of those things to manually try adding them back in, again. But if it's really old data then maybe this would be an acceptable option for you. You can try checking that box to see if it's something you would find to be acceptable. If you don't like what else it does you can always uncheck the box later and it will be like it currently is.

BTW, I would not seriously recommend deleting the account. That would be a permanent action that cannot be undone and it could mess up other accounts that are linked to it by transfers.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

As mentioned above:

…it also means that the account will no longer be included in most other reports and features. If you still want the account included in those other reports and features you would need to go the customizations of those things to manually try adding them back in, again.

To be more precise: When you change an account to be Separate it will cause all transactions in that account at any time to not be reflected in reports and other planning features. With at least some reports you can customize them by checking a box on the Accounts tab for Show Separate accounts. Then you can select the Separate account(s) that you want included in the report. You can then save the customized report under a custom name so you can later retrieve it as you saved it when you want.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Another option which you might find to be easier and more palatable: Keep the account Separate for most of the time. When you want to review all of your historical tax and other financial data for that account in your reports, go to the Display Options tab of Account Details and uncheck the box for keeping the account Separate which will then populate the reports with that data, again. Once you are done reviewing your historical data you can check the box to keep the account Separate, again.

Answers

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    Options

Any input from you mega users?

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Are you referring to what you are seeing in the Account Bar on the left side of the screen?

If so, please confirm that on the Display Options tab of Account Details the box for Hide Account name in account bar and account list is checked. If it is not, check the box and then click on OK button.

If you are referring to something else, please clarify what that is.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Assuming you're referring to the "All accounts" dashboard item, if I click on the gearwheel and then select "View Account List" my Account List comes up in its default state of "Show hidden accounts" unchecked, and the list I see on the Account List comports with what I see in the All accounts dashboard. Checking that show hidden accounts box does change the Account List but not the Account shown on the All accounts dashboard.

I can't see any other customization available on the All accounts dashboard.

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Guys: Neither one. I have HOME-VIEW 1 open and one of the selected shows is ALL ACCOUNTS from the overview. In that all my accounts show, i.e., zero balance and hidden accounts. The show hidden accounts ais unchecked in the account list.

• Tom Young
    Options

@aLfGordon

That's the one that I was talking about:

I'm not aware of any customization within that dashboard view to affect what you are seeing. If you go into the Accounts List for these Accounts, pull up Account Details and then Display Options, are all the items in "Account display" selected? I can't think of another place to suggest.

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    Options

As an example.

BANK XYZ is an old bank account. I have it hidden in the account list. I un-hid it and went into the display options in the account details, check the box that "hide account name in account bar and account list". Still no joy, it shows on the list.

• Tom Young
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have

• Keep this account separate - account will be excluded from Quicken reports and features
    • Hide in transaction entry lists
    • Hide account name in account bar and account list

I know that all Accounts that show up in the All accounts dashboard have all three unchecked. You're not seeing this? What version are you using?

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2023
    Options

I don't know what HOME-VIEW 1 is. That is a default name for a custom view but it says nothing about what is shown there. The different Views of Home should be given a name, such as Dashboard, Bills & Income Reminders, Expenses, Net Worth, etc., to provide some idea of what is included in each View as is shown in this picture. Each View will have one or more reports included in them.

It would be really helpful to understand more about the issue you are seeing if you would take a screen shot of what you are looking at and then post it here. Review this FAQ if you aren't sure how to do that: FAQ: How do I post a screenshot in the Community from Windows?.

• Tom Young
    Options

@Boatnmaniac

"I don't know what HOME-VIEW 1 is. That is a default name for a custom view but it says nothing about what is shown there."

You can create several different "Views" listed out on the HOME tab but you need to in in Classic Menu. You populate each View with various(~45) canned reports in the different Views you create. View-1 is the first View available to you. You can rename each view but OP hasn't given a title to his first View.

The item under discussion here - I believe - is the "All accounts" dashboard item, basically a smaller version of the Account Bar.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Tom Young - I am very familiar with creating custom views. When setting up a custom view it will automatically default to VIEW 1, VIEW 2, VIEW 3 or whatever based upon how many prior custom views are already created. But numbered VIEWS say nothing about what is included in it. Naming them can assist in getting an idea of what is included in them.

BTW, perhaps at one time one needed to be in the Classic Menu in order to create Views and select what is shown in them. But I am seeing there is no difference in my data files between Classic Menu and Standard Menu regarding this feature now.

Anyway, here is what I see for the different canned Cards (perhaps a better word to use than "reports") available for Dashboard. There is nothing listed for "Accounts" so my Dashboard does not have an Accounts Card.:

You can rename each view but OP hasn't given a title to his first View.

This is exactly my point. With no name for HOME-VIEW 1 I have absolutely no idea what the view is about.

I just added another view (HOME-VIEW 3) in one of my test files and customized it to show an All Accounts Card. Is this what is being talked about? If so, then I agree that there does not appear to be a way to exclude hidden accounts or to customize it show show only selected accounts. All one can do is show or hide the financial institutions names.:

• Tom Young
    Options

I guess I should have simply stated that the report being discussed in View-1 was already identified as "All accounts" by the OP.

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    Options

Great Guys:

All the banter abover is pretty much right.

How do I eliminate "Dell 401K Contributions" as it shows as zero and in (my) case is an account no longer used?

Tim

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks to you both for clarifying that for me. I can sometimes be a bit dense and this appears to have been one of those times.

@aLfGordon - The only way I think you can do that (without actually deleting the account) would be to go to the Display Options tab of Account Details and check the box for Keep this account separate - account will be excluded from Quicken reports and features. It will not show up in this All Accounts card any longer. But it also means that the account will no longer be included in most other reports and features. If you still want the account included in those other reports and features you would need to go the customizations of those things to manually try adding them back in, again. But if it's really old data then maybe this would be an acceptable option for you. You can try checking that box to see if it's something you would find to be acceptable. If you don't like what else it does you can always uncheck the box later and it will be like it currently is.

BTW, I would not seriously recommend deleting the account. That would be a permanent action that cannot be undone and it could mess up other accounts that are linked to it by transfers.

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    Options

That looks to work. Question though…

If I hide and eliminate as you said above… I changed several brokerage accounts this past year - simply setup new accounts and transferred the money from one to the other. No problem there. Now the old accounts are zero balance. If I keep the account seperate, will it then not show the transactions previous to the transfer, i.e. dividend/interest, etc for my taxes next year?

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

As mentioned above:

…it also means that the account will no longer be included in most other reports and features. If you still want the account included in those other reports and features you would need to go the customizations of those things to manually try adding them back in, again.

To be more precise: When you change an account to be Separate it will cause all transactions in that account at any time to not be reflected in reports and other planning features. With at least some reports you can customize them by checking a box on the Accounts tab for Show Separate accounts. Then you can select the Separate account(s) that you want included in the report. You can then save the customized report under a custom name so you can later retrieve it as you saved it when you want.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Another option which you might find to be easier and more palatable: Keep the account Separate for most of the time. When you want to review all of your historical tax and other financial data for that account in your reports, go to the Display Options tab of Account Details and uncheck the box for keeping the account Separate which will then populate the reports with that data, again. Once you are done reviewing your historical data you can check the box to keep the account Separate, again.

• aLfGordon
    aLfGordon Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.