Is Quicken compatible with macOS Sonoma?

Options
gojohn
gojohn Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Installing and Updating (Mac)

I'd like to install the macOS Sonoma beta and was wondering wither Quicken is compatible with it. Any news there? If Apple follows their usual schedule, it seems likely it would get released in September or October. If it's not compatible now, do you have a sense of when it will be? Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken never promises nor announces compatibility with evolving beta versions of macOS. There has not been a time when Quicken hads not been compatible with macOS upon each new release, but there have definitely been problems with beta versions of macOS prior to release in the past.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken never promises nor announces compatibility with evolving beta versions of macOS. There has not been a time when Quicken hads not been compatible with macOS upon each new release, but there have definitely been problems with beta versions of macOS prior to release in the past.

• gojohn
    gojohn Member ✭✭
    Options

Yeah, I'm ok with some issues and understand that they occur. I just want to be sure it's usable. Sounds like folks are using it. I saw one report of someone who had issues with a special submenu that Quicken creates. I was thinking perhaps they might release their own betas for testing with Sonoma. I'd be happy to try it out, but I get that they may prefer to manage things internally and only release when they're comfortable that it really works.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

for me - Quicken is a very fragile software product, and I would never jump on the bandwagon with any new underlying operating system… wait for others - unless you are risk taker…

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macos-sonoma/

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    Options

I was thinking perhaps they might release their own betas for testing with Sonoma. I'd be happy to try it out

@gojohn There is a beta testing program for Quicken Mac, open to any users who wish to test and report on pre-release versions.

As a beta tester for many years, I don't recall any public beta tests specifically tied to a new version of macOS.

• gojohn
    gojohn Member ✭✭
    Options

I found the beta signup at https://www.quicken.com/beta . Unfortunately they say the requirements are macOS Ventura or the previous two version. Sonoma isn't listed, so I'm guessing it's about the same as running the released software. I suppose I could look to the beta if the regular version isn't working for me. But my wife also uses Quicken and I'd hate to get a beta version that updates the file format so that she couldn't use it. (We use Dropbox to sync the files, and only one of us opens it at a time.)

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @gojohn,

Currently, there is a known issue with Quicken for Mac and Sonoma. You can view this Community Alert for more information.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• gojohn
    gojohn Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Kristina. Is there a way to subscribe to posts that contain a given word, like "Sonoma"?

• jacobs
    Options

@gojohn No, this forum platform (Vanilla Forums) doesn’t offer a way to subscribe to keyword alerts. You might be able to do something with a Google alert, but I’ve never done that.

Beta software definitely isn’t recommended for critical data, such as your live Quicken data. If you become a Quicken Mac beta tester, there is a way to clone your data file for testing purposes. (I never use my live data file for testing.) Similarly, macOS beta versions are prone to problems, and aren’t recommended for using with critical data. Unless you’re interested in the testing process, what’s the rush to move to a pre-release operating system?

• Brian D.
    Brian D. Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Apple MacOS "Sonoma" (v.14) is now out for download. Any issues? Probably going to download it & install tonight.

• gojohn
    gojohn Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been using Quicken with Sonoma without issue. That's not an official word from Quicken, but just my experience.

• gojohn
    gojohn Member ✭✭
    Options

Though it appears there may be a new issues with the columns button (again).

• sweighall
    sweighall Member ✭✭
    Options

Just updated to Sonoma, Quicken is broken for me. Even tried deleting the app and re-installing to see if it was a version issue on what I had on my Mac. No Joy.

• sweighall
    sweighall Member ✭✭
    Options

Did a shutdown and restart after all that, waited longer for the app to start up, and it worked.

This discussion has been closed.