Investment Performance Report with "No Security (includes Cash)" selected

Options
q_lurker
q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports (Windows)

This report is fundamentally the most flexible tool for determining Average Annual Return values within Quicken. For some unknown reason, the current programming takes some odd paths when two settings are used together:

1. The selection of securities includes the "No Security (includes Cash)" selection, and
  2. The report is subtotaled by any of:
    1. Security,
    2. Security Type,
    3. Investing Goal
    4. Asset Class, or
    5. Option Group.

This odd behavior is further discussed here. The consequence is that the Total IRR on the graphical part of the report is incorrect.

Including the security = "No Security (includes Cash)" is a common selection, the default selection, and necessary to determine an average annual return on a complete portfolio including the cash component of the portfolio. When the report information is subtotaled, the cash component is not reported and the associated Total IRR value is then wrongly computed.

In my opinion, the subtotaled versions should treat cash as follows:

• SUBTOTAL BY ………. INCLUDE As
  • None ……………………….. No change necessary, cash is included
  • Account ……………….. No change necessary, cash is included
  • Time (MQY) ……….. No change necessary, cash is included
  • Security ……………….. No Security
  • Security Type …… No Type (The report already presents a "No Type" section but does not include the cash values)
  • Investing Goal … No Goal (The report already presents a "No Goal" section but does not include the cash values)
  • Asset Class ………. No Asset Class (The report already presents a "No Asset Class" section but does not include the cash values)
  • Option Grp ……….. No Option Group (The report already presents a "No Option Group" section but does not include the cash values)

From that expanded inclusiveness, the TOTAL IRR value would be computed and should be consistent with the non-subtotaled result.

Edit 9/3/23 I meant to add — It would also be beneficial to the user for the table portion of the report to also present the Total IRR value. The complete detail would not need to be repeated, only the calculated Average Annual Return. The characterization that subtotaling is being done implies that the total should still be there. It is clear (I believe) that the Total is not the sum of the individual portions.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the thorough analysis, @q_lurker.

This is definitely a shortcoming of the current Investment Performance Report.

Note that the Avg. Annual Return (%) columns in the Investing > Portfolio views correctly include Cash in the total at the bottom regardless of the Subtotal by: option selected.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AS a related part of my investigation I submitted a problem report with this screen shot:

In this case, the applicable transactions are on the right half of the screen shot. The IPR is customized to only this account and to only use the security = No Security (includes Cash). With that customization the wrong Beg Mkt Value is being pulled. If the Reminder transaction dated 1/2/23 is re-dated to 12/31/23, the correct Beg Mkt Value is pulled. This should be corrected as part of improving this report.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a further thought and justification, this suggested adjustment or correction to the programming becomes more important as users opt to track MM fund holdings as Cash rather than as a Security.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

Since this behavior seems more like a bug than a product improvement idea, I've moved this thread and forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree it is more bug-like, but I also see it as once having been the plan. Any way to get it addressed is fine. At next opportunity, I’ll use the problem report channel as well citing this thread and the other thread as key references.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Problem Report sent.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.