How to automatically assign a certain category to all transactions to/from an account?

Options
princepawn
princepawn Member ✭✭

I have a particular account that is used solely for a certain purpose X. I want all transactions to/from this account to be assigned to the category X.

I am using Quicken for Windows.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's possible that a Memorized transaction, or 2, 1 in and 1 out, would work.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

It's possible that a Memorized transaction, or 2, 1 in and 1 out, would work.

Unless there is only one or a small number of Payees, I don't see how that would work. Banking registers have Memorized Payees, not Memorized Transactions.

But I think you could enter all the transactions with no Category or random Categories, then select them all using Click and Shift-click to select a group of transactions, then right click on the group and select Assign Category to give them all the desired Category.

Out of curiosity, can you describe what the application is for an account where all the transactions have the same Category?

QWin Premier subscription
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And if there are any Transfers going from or to another account they won't have a Category on them.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• princepawn
    princepawn Member ✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman Regarding "Out of curiosity, can you describe what the application is for an account where all the transactions have the same Category?", what this involves is that I am part of an investment club. So checking account X is where I place funds that the investment consultant has been authorized to make bank drafts that go to Schwab. The profits from Schwab then go back to this same account.

Therefore, I would like all drafts to Schwab as well as all profits that come back from Schwab to be labeled as "Investment club"

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you considered having a separate quicken file for the investment club?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

These transactions are all transfers between, e.g., [Checking X] and [Schwab Investment Club].
    As stated in an earlier response, Transfers cannot have a separate category.

Additional transactions in the investment account register will tell you about Buys, Sells, Dividend, Interest, Fees, etc. and are (should be) properly categorized to reflect gains, losses and other taxable information.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How are you filing taxes for this club? You probably need to file a Business Partnership return and give K-1 forms to each member. So you need to track a lot more info than transfers in and out of the checking account. The club should be in it's own Quicken Data File. Do you get deposits from the members and have you disbursed any payments to them?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeah…. there should be a lot more record keeping for this "investment club" with all the usual comments listed above -
    unless it's just a family group and you are doing this as a keeper of the cash.

if nothing else, how are you tracking the actual Schwab activity for Buy/Sell, CG, Interest, divs, etc…..
    and as mentioned - at the end of the year - then what - ?
    who gets the 1099 from Schwab for all the activity -
    as in who has the SSN or FEIN associated with the Schwab account -

lots to consider and track both in and out of the Quicken -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Options

The OP has not weighed in on this, but I would guess that the accounting for the investment club is handled separately and this account is used for the OP's personal contributions and returns.

If it is for the OP's contributions and returns, I would name the account "Investment Club" and I would record the contributions and returns as transfers to and from their checking account. Presumably the club's investment account would periodically deposit the OP's share of the club's dividends and other distributions into this account.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

For a lengthy discussion of shared accounts, see this Idea post. It gets complicated.

This discussion has been closed.