Possible to rearrange the order of holdings for an Investment account?

Options
JubJub
JubJub Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Is there a way to change the order that holdings are displayed in the holdings windows for an investment account? Along the same lines, I'd like to be able to subtotal the holdings (i.e. stock fund total, bond fund total).

The goal is to match what I receive from the brokerage in my online statement to allow for easy reconciliation.

If it's not possible, is there a mechanism to suggest features to the Quicken development team?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

No, the holdings view is very restrictive of what it can do. I suggest you use the Investment tab → Portfolio instead which much more customizable.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @JubJub,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. If you would like to suggest product improvements to the Quicken development team, please review this article on Creating and Voting for Ideas In the Community. The article also has the links to the applicable product improvement sections of the Community.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You can create an Idea post here

https://community.quicken.com/post/idea

People can vote on your idea and the ones that get the most votes are considered for implementation.

For best results, please be specific about how you would use your idea.

One feature you might check out is Investing Goals. These are user definable and you can set a goal for each security. You can set these to match your broker's groupings, then group your portfolio view by goal.

Or check out the report at Reports > Investing > Portfolio Value. You can select just one account and group by Investing Goal.

One issue with this is that different brokers group securities differently, so if you have accounts at more than one brokerage, the groupings may be different.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

No, the holdings view is very restrictive of what it can do. I suggest you use the Investment tab → Portfolio instead which much more customizable.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JubJub
    JubJub Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thanks for the reply, @Chris_QPW. I will check out the Investments tab and see if it will do what I am trying to accomplish.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @JubJub,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. If you would like to suggest product improvements to the Quicken development team, please review this article on Creating and Voting for Ideas In the Community. The article also has the links to the applicable product improvement sections of the Community.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You can create an Idea post here

https://community.quicken.com/post/idea

People can vote on your idea and the ones that get the most votes are considered for implementation.

For best results, please be specific about how you would use your idea.

One feature you might check out is Investing Goals. These are user definable and you can set a goal for each security. You can set these to match your broker's groupings, then group your portfolio view by goal.

Or check out the report at Reports > Investing > Portfolio Value. You can select just one account and group by Investing Goal.

One issue with this is that different brokers group securities differently, so if you have accounts at more than one brokerage, the groupings may be different.

QWin Premier subscription
  • JubJub
    JubJub Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, @Jim_Harman

• JubJub
    JubJub Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, @Quicken Kristina

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Along the same lines, I'd like to be able to subtotal the holdings (i.e. stock fund total, bond fund total).

There are a couple of way to approach that.

1. You could create separate security types for stock funds, bond funds, etc.
    2. You could create and use separate Investing Goals and apply those to the applicable securities.
    3. Asset classes could also be used.

Of those three, I'd likely choose the Investing Goals unless you have used those for something more obvious list College Funds, or Growth, etc. The other two can create issues by not using type or asset class as the programmers might expect.

Portfolio views (in contrast to Holdings) offers great flexibility in grouping views by those sort of breakdowns. In addition to the grouping flexibility, you can also order the columns in a way that most easily parallels the brokerage statement.

• JubJub
    JubJub Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, @q_lurker. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and for the suggestions. I will look at Investing Goals and see if the grouping would be helpful. (I don't want to use something like asset class or security type for other than it's intended use for the reason you mention. I have done that with other COTS software in the past and it's come back to bite me as the software was updated and evolved.)

However, even using Investing Goals, unless I misunderstand you, it still wouldn't allow me to change the order of the securities within the grouping. While the grouping would be helpful, the primary intended result of my improvement suggestion was to be able to order the securities to match my statement. I was envisioning being able to pick a Customize Order… option from the gear menu on the holding screen and then drag the entries up and down to get the desired order. I'm hoping enough others would find that helpful to get the developers' attention.

Thanks again for the response and suggestions.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How does the brokerage statement order within the group? I could imagine by security name, by ticker, or by market value as common choices. The portfolio view should be able to match any of those.

But then one outfit I deal with is 95% alphabetical on security name. I would never be able to replicate the 5% that get dropped to the end for some unfathomable reason.

• JubJub
    JubJub Member ✭✭
    Options

Here's a sample from one account. I checked and the order is not a function of % of holdings, market value, quantity or price. Beats me.

This discussion has been closed.