Removal of Ex wife's SSN from Account Bar's Credit Score selection

Options
JeepCrazy
JeepCrazy Member ✭✭

I have been a Quicken (windows) user for years.

Many years ago my Ex-wife added her social security number the the "Credit Score" monitoring feature in quicken. I divorced my wife 3 years ago and since then I have been trying to remove or clear my ex-wifes SS number from my Quicken software.

I have done chat and also spoke with a gentleman by phone at Quicken trying to remove her info.

He told me I needed to create a completely new quicken file which would remove her SS from my quicken account.

I did as he said, I created a completely new Quicken file and added all of my accounts to the new file. It literally took hours. I click the "Credit Score" link at the bottom of the accounts tab in the Quicken software and it asks me to enter my SS number. I do and it gives me this error that I need to use the previously used SS number…. Which is my EX-WIFES.. I dont want her info in there..

I have searched and searched online for help for this. I have done chat and spoke with Quicken representatives and I am given ways to remove her SS from my file however none of them seem to work.

Does anyone know how to remove my Ex-Wife's social security number from my Quicken file so I can use the credit score/monitoring for myself instead of seeing her information. I am at a loss as I have done everything I was instructed to previously do and it didn't work.

Thank you!

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, the entered SSN is associated with the subscription, not the file. That suggests to me that the SSN might be associated with your account at Quicken.com?? You might look there though I'd be surprised it that information would be stored there in the clear.

If that doesn't work then I'd say call Official Quicken Support again and try to work yourself up the food chain of support levels until someone gives you an answer that works. If the SSN is associated with the subscription and not the file then I wonder if deleting the account at Quicken.com and creating a new account might work? I'd ask that question directly to whoever you end up speaking to.

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2023
    Options

You need Quicken support to allow you to start a new QuickenID

Credit score is tied to the QuickenID

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

I have spent several hours online in chat and on the phone with Quicken Support. Quicken support is who told me to create a new Quicken File within my Quicken Windows software. The Representative said that the SS number is tied to the Quicken file and that creating a new file would allow me to enter my SS number and have my information display in the credit score portion of the software, instead of hers.

From what the Quicken gentleman said to me, the SS is tied to the Quicken File, not the QuickenID. I've been using Quicken for many years. She entered her SS # in quicken long before they had the QuickenID thing. That has only been out for a few years now when they went to the subscription service for Quicken.

If Quicken staff cannot find a solution, I am not sure where else to turn to fix this. I think I am just speaking with people not familiar with how this part of software works. I have obviously gotten incorrect information as the new file didn't resolve the issue.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @JeepCrazy,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Would you mind providing me with the ticket numbers given to you during your Support interactions so that I may review what occurred and better assist you?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Tom Young
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine

Can you tell us where that Social Security Number resides? In the new one-year subscription regime is it associated with the subscription itself? How do you change the association so you can enter a different Social Social Security number?

Thanks.

• miklk
    Options

It is DEFINATELY in the QuickenID

I used to have multiple IDs and could switch which ID owned the file and the credit score would follow the ID.

Once the Credit Score is in the QuickenID, I was told in the past ( by Tamara ) that the only way to get a changed Credit Score was to get a different QuickenID

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks for the reply.

I would love to provide ticket numbers to you unfortunately I no longer have any of that information.

I started trying to get her SS out of my Quicken close to 2 years ago off and on. I have done the chat thing multiple times and I have spoken with representatives by phone a few times.

Thanks

• Tom Young
    Options

@miklk

You're referring to the ID associated with your account at Quicken.com, or something else? I'd expect that it's "something else" since I can change the ID associated with that account, but you're saying you have to contact Quicken support?

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate everyone's help.

I'm just trying to figure this out and resolve it. Tired of seeing her negative notifications and info years after the divorce

• miklk
    Options

The QuickenID that you use to login to Quicken (also used for web sites etc.. )

BUT the QuickenID is the ID you pay the subscription to use and is registered as the owner of the file and is enabled for online services including ONE Credit Report SSN

• Tom Young
    Options

@JeepCrazy

So there's the definitive answer, hopefully. It would be great if @Quicken Jasmine can confirm.

Contact Quicken Support. Tell the person that picks up the phone:

"I want to change the QuickenID associated with my subscription so I can get my ex-wife's Social Security Number off my data file and enter my Social Security Number. I'm not talking about the Quicken ID I use to log into my account at Quicken.com, I'm referring to a different QuickenID that's associated with my subscription that only Support can change."

You might have to talk your way up the food chain of Support to get to the right person. Let's see if that works.

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

I am on the phone with them now.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @JeepCrazy,

Please let us know how your support interaction goes so we may further assist you if needed.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

I will let you know. I'm still on hold awaiting escalation….. 55 mins now

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@everyone Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

On the phone for 1 hour, 25 mins and 16 seconds, most of it on hold, only to be told that they do not know how to remove her SS from my Quicken software.

He said they changed my QuickenID back in April when I called in a previous time and that did not resolve it. Her SS carried over to my new QuickenID.

They said they will continue to work on it and contact me when they figure it out. The same thing I've been told 3 times now when I have called in regarding this.

To date and at the direction of a Quicken rep, I have created an entirely new data file, changed my QuickenID, and created a new subscription and nothing has seemed to work.

I am at a loss with this.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JeepCrazy ..

Here is an old thread about this…. see last post……. it says create a new ID and delete the old one….. is that what you had Q do today? They deleted the old ID too?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thanks,

They created a new QuickenID back in April. I don't know what they did with the old one. I have been using the new one since April. My Ex wife's score still shows up with this new ID

I shared this thread with the Quicken Rep I was speaking to on the phone so he could see all this information as well. He said he had to "escalate" it and the people he was talking to were the ones to actually fix this.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This seems an unworthy way to spend your time. You can get your credit score from pretty much any of your financial institutions. I would stop pulling out my hair and turn off "Show credit score" in Quicken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Thinking out loud, I suspect Quicken Support may have moved/changed your Quicken ID rather than create a new one from scratch. That process might not unlink the old ID from the credit score or other cloud-based services. I suspect they kept it tied to the same email.

A do-it-yourself approach to a new Quicken ID would be to create one yourself on the Quicken website and purchase a new subscription under the new ID. Then test to see if you can get your SSN associated with the new ID. You will need to use a different email than the one tied to your current ID or other old IDs replaced by Quicken Support.

I would create the new ID first before buying the product. I had an old ID I previously used for beta testing under a Gmail address and found it could still be resurrected so you can have more than 1 ID. The Gmail ID has no subscriptions associated with it so it is unique and not attached to my current ID. When purchasing the product, set it up with a new data file.

If it does not work out, you can use the 30-day money back guarantee to return it and get your money back. If it works, try signing out of your Quicken ID in your data file and sign back in with the new ID to see if you get the credit score setup screens. It's going to be a little more complicated than sign out and back in with a new ID because they have to have some checks in place to prevent a new user from accessing an old user's password vault and online banking info. But maybe knowing the vault password is good enough.

If it works, you could try to get a refund for your old subscription but that might risk Quicken Support linking you back up to your old ID. You might consider eating the cost of the overlap is worth getting rid of being reminded of the ex.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

If Quicken had a user friendly way to delete an unwanted SS # then not much time would be needed…. I know if I were, as an example, to miss-typed my SS# I would want to be able to change it… Better yet if I just want to delete the SS# all together it should be easy. Why doesn't Quicken have a user friendly "delete SS#" function???? @JeepCrazy should not have to go thu a "vicious circle" with no solution given….. ???? Nor should you need to purchase another subscription…..

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm not trying to fix it to get my credit score I know what my credit score is I'm trying to fix it to get my ex-wife's negative credit reporting and notifications out of my Quicken so I quit getting notified of her negative financial behavior. I get several notifications a month about excessive credit card usage for my ex-wife. I'm tired of getting the notifications

• miklk
    Options

For that:

Right click a blank spot on account bar and DE-Select show credit score.

Then, Tools Menu, Alerts Center , Setup De-select the credit card limits

Any other credit notices are probably not from Quicken.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited September 2023
    Options

This restriction seems to be the root of the evil in this case. Q should allow the user to change the SSN at will.

EDIT: I imagine this is a restriction imposed by the score provider. Otherwise, one Quicken could get as many scores as the user wanted.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate the thoughts. They created a new ID for me with a new email that I created after my divorce. My current subscription expires in March so I will look into doing as you said and creating a new subscription. Maybe that is the ticket in resolving this.

My main objective here is to get rid of my ex wife's credit info in my software mostly so I don't have to see her stuff anymore. With that said, "If" I can get rid of her info I would like to add my SS so I can utilize the feature that comes with my subscription.

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

I completely agree. They have made it so difficult to not only change this SS number but also find a real human being that can actually do something to fix this.

I have called in countless times and spent literally hours on the phone, mostly on hold to be told they escalated it and someone will reach out when they have a resolution. The problem is, they never reach out with the resolution.

For 2 years now I have been reaching out off and on to quicken trying to remove her SS from my Quicken to no avail. 🤷‍♂️

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I appreciate the info however I want her information removed from my Quicken. We've been divorced 3 years now. It's time I get this resolved. I keep getting frustrated with Quicken and walking away for a month or two. I want to get this resolved

This is a feature that Is a part of my subscription so I would like to utilize it myself and no longer see her stuff.

Anyone who's been married gone through a turbulent divorce will understand.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

I might guess that the inability to change the SSN could be a restriction imposed by the score provider. Otherwise, one Quicken could get everyone's score for free.

When your subscription expires, I recommend a complete "scorched earth" uninstall, folder deletion, registry cleanup, etc. Back up everything first to somewhere it can be easily restored if needed. Keep only the data file. Then install fresh & establish the new subscription before loading the data file.

• JeepCrazy
    JeepCrazy Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree, I have been thinking that this may be the only way to resolve this. Completely start from scratch.

I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case considering all the accounts I will have to add to the new file "again"

Hopefully quicken will come up with

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel do you know enough about Quicken data file construction to definitely say that @JeepCrazy can use his data file on a completely new installation of a brand new subscription? Does his data file (installed on the new installation) contain his ex's Social Security Number and can he still get notifications tied to her SS#?

• Tom Young
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel wasn't a recommending a complete "start from scratch." He recommended scrubbing your computer for all traces of your previous Quicken install, then install the new subscription which, presumably, will allow you to use your current data file, a data file that has no SSN associated with it.

This discussion has been closed.