One Step Update - Quicken freezes

Options
johnlebas
johnlebas Member ✭✭

Note: there is another discussion with the same title that was closed.

I have the same issue as described…with a twist. When I use One Step Update, the first financial institution updates, Fidelity, and then the program hangs for greater than 5 minutes. The symbol in front of fidelity is a green dot. All other institutions are "waiting". After 5+ minutes (overall time is not certain because I usually do something else while waiting), I get prompted to enter the login credentials for Fidelity (and save the information to the password vault). If I do, it finds that all Fidelity accounts are already connected. If I cancel the prompt for the credentials, or after acknowledging that all of the accounts are connected, the update continues to completion. This delay is a huge frustration (almost as bad as waiting for an investment transaction to enter). Quicken, do something!!!

Windows 11, Home, Business & Rental Property, R52.2, Build 27.1.52.20

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @johnlebas,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. From what you're describing, it sounds like you're getting prompted to connect your accounts. Are you able to post a screenshot of the prompt you are getting (with any personal information blurred or obscured)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• johnlebas
    johnlebas Member ✭✭
    Options

Let me repeat, all accounts are connected. Look at the attached files in sequence. After 3, there is a long delay before 4 appears. After the credentials are entered for Fidelity (which was already shown as Complete!!), Quicken checks to see if there are any accounts yet to connect at Fidelity. Of course, it does not find any. After 6 is cleared, it proceeds to update the other accounts and quickly completes as shown in 8. This sequence happens all the time. Also, if I cancel at 4, Quicken proceeds to update all the other accounts and the downloads from Fidelity are retained.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply and for the screenshots,

To troubleshoot this issue, you will first want to check your Quicken file location. Is it on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

If your Quicken file is not on the C drive, it is recommended that you move it to that drive. If you have the file synced with a cloud service (like dropbox or OneDrive), we recommend that you either unsync it or pause that service while you are accessing your Quicken file.

Once you have verified the file location and moved the file if necessary, please try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• johnlebas
    johnlebas Member ✭✭
    Options

The data file is on my c drive. I Validateed and Super Validated the data file. There were no errors found and the problem continues as described above. What's the next guess?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

The next step would be restoring a backup from before the issue started, and testing to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• johnlebas
    johnlebas Member ✭✭
    Options

Interesting. I restored an early backup and had exactly the same problem. I closed that file and opened my current data file. When I entered the password for the vault, Quicken started to process my Fidelity accounts and immediately "blew up" (shut down unexpectedly). I restarted the program, started the download process and Quicken completed it without an error. I noticed that while updating the Fidelity accounts, the other financial institutions had a new icon to the right of the names while before they all said "waiting". Did something get loaded from one of the monthly updates for the first time?

Also, when I opened the backup data file, I saw a message that Quicken was syncing my data to your cloud. Why? I do not use the cloud and really do not want my data there! How do I stop this and delete all the cloud data?

• Rockman
    Rockman Member
    Options

I am having the same issue with USAA, Charles Schwab, American Express, AA Mastercard. All this started after I installed the latest Quicken Update. Really annoying!

• johnlebas
    johnlebas Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Come on, Quicken!

[Removed - Off Topic]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

To turn off cloud sync, go to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web. Click the button next to the word "Sync" to turn off cloud sync.

To clear out anything that got uploaded to the cloud, since Quicken won't let you delete a cloud account associated with the file you are currently in, you would need to backup your file, then create a new, blank Quicken file (click here to view instructions, and review the section titled: "Creating a new file"), and delete the cloud account from there.

Follow these steps to delete the cloud account while in the new file:

1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    4. Click Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (#) (this is not a button, it is written in blue underneath the "Edit dataset name" button)
    5. Select the Cloud Account Name used for your main data file and click Delete
    6. Type Yes and click Delete

After that, switch back to your main data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down and review the section titled: "How to alternate between multiple files"). 

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• johnlebas
    johnlebas Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you for this information. It is not helpful as you can see, I had already turned Sync OFF. Yet, Quicken is sending my data somewhere. I did not agree with this (a privacy and security issue). Please provide updated instructions.

Also, thanks for deleting the "off topic" comments. [Removed - Speculation]

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken forces a cloud sync when restoring a backup even if you have the sync disabled. The workaround is to remove -backup from the file extension qdf-backup and open the file rather than restoring.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.