Net Worth and Account Balance Not Correct in Reports

Options
bobneedshelp
bobneedshelp Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Investing (Windows)

The accounts show the proper balance in the accounts tab on the left; however, when I run the reports that show the either the account balance or net worth reports, they don't reflect the current balance on all accounts. They aren't even close. These are especially bad when you look at them over time.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

These reports, especially if they were previously customized and saved, often do not automatically update when new Accounts, Securities, Categories and/or Tags have been added. That is what I find usually throws the report totals out of whack for me.

If you have not already done so, you might want to go to the report Customization popup, click on each Tab and make sure that "All…" are included in the report. That usually resolves the issue for me.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Drengor
    Drengor Member
    Options

Hello Bob. I have the same thing going on here. Specifically with my Ameritrade/Schwab accounts (The account moved from Ameritrade to Schwab back in May).

It doesn't look like either balance was ever correct in the account balances report. But after moving everything out of Ameritrade so that the balance in the register and in the account list shows 0, the account balance report shows -21,648.80. The Schwab is also off (short) by 13-14k.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @bobneedshelp and @Drengor,

Let’s try a few troubleshooting steps for this issue—these steps should resolve things for you, but if not, please come back and post more about your experience so we can investigate. 

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Please let us know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

These reports, especially if they were previously customized and saved, often do not automatically update when new Accounts, Securities, Categories and/or Tags have been added. That is what I find usually throws the report totals out of whack for me.

If you have not already done so, you might want to go to the report Customization popup, click on each Tab and make sure that "All…" are included in the report. That usually resolves the issue for me.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• VicG
    VicG Member
    Options

Selecting "All" was the solution as I had some changes in the accounts that weren't being reflected in the report. Thanks for the info.

• bobneedshelp
    bobneedshelp Member ✭✭
    Options

I validated that it wasn't anything to do with the report customization.

• bobneedshelp
    bobneedshelp Member ✭✭
    Options

I found something suspicious in my transaction file that might help you. I went backwards in time to where both the check register and the report matched. Then I went forward until I found the transaction that made the difference. There are many of these in my case. I noticed that it was a paycheck transaction where, for sake of describing the problem, looks like this:

Total Pay $3,000

Taxes -$1,000

Net Pay = $2,000 (value shown in the split transaction for the deposit)

However, the Deposit Total in the check register is $2,500.

Basically the net pay amount in the split doesn't equal the deposit in the check register.

It looks like there must have been another transaction in the split for $500 that is no longer there. It is really strange to see the net of the paycheck in the split not equal the check register line. That happens many times for me and started back in 2005. Perhaps an account got deleted or closed and that removed lines from the split transaction?

• bobneedshelp
    bobneedshelp Member ✭✭
    Options

I did all of those steps and everything came out fine. As I looked at other people that have had similar issues, I did the following:

I found something suspicious in my transaction file that might help you. I went backwards in time to where both the check register and the report matched. Then I went forward until I found the transaction that made the difference. There are many of these in my case. I noticed that it was a paycheck transaction where, for sake of describing the problem, looks like this:

Total Pay $3,000

Taxes -$1,000

Net Pay = $2,000 (value shown in the split transaction for the deposit)

However, the Deposit Total in the check register is $2,500.

Basically the net pay amount in the split doesn't equal the deposit in the check register.

It looks like there must have been another transaction in the split for $500 that is no longer there. It is really strange to see the net of the paycheck in the split not equal the check register line. That happens many times for me and started back in 2005. Perhaps an account got deleted or closed and that removed lines from the split transaction?

This discussion has been closed.