Reminder of future transfer between accounts appears inverted

Options
Mike Duncan
Mike Duncan Member ✭✭✭

The way I am reading the reminder of the upcoming transfer is that the money is flowing the wrong way.

I have this particular transfer as an ongoing monthly process set up in Classic Premier on Windows, and it does move money the correct way.

I just started using Mobile again (gave up earlier because of so many problems) and noticed this issue.

I am attaching screen shots from Premier and Mobile and would appreciate your comments.

The details:

Premier is at R52.28 and is running on Windows 11 Home, 22H2, 22621.2361 on an HP Spectre x-360 notebook.

Mobile is at 6.30.0 (38.27934.4012 and is running on an iPhone 13 Pro Max at iOS 17.0.3.

Regards, Mike Duncan

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Mike Duncan,

There are a couple of troubleshooting steps we can try that may help resolve this issue.

To start, I suggest resetting your cloud data from your Quicken desktop program and see if that may make a difference. However, before doing so, first, verify that the Dataset name and the File name match each other identically by navigating to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts (see below). 

If they do not match, please click Edit dataset name and change the Dataset name to match the File name exactly the same (do not copy the file extension: ".QDF"). 

Then, click OK in the preferences window and proceed to save a backup (just in case). From there, please follow the steps below to reset your cloud data.

1. Sign out of your Quicken Mobile app
    2. On your desktop program go to Edit
    3. Preferences...
    4. Mobile & Web
    5. Make sure sync shows it'sONand click onReset your cloud data
    6. On the following screen you can leave the preselected option for "No, just reset my Cloud data", type Yes in the entry field to confirm, and click Reset
    7. Wait for the sync reset to finish
    8. Navigate to the Mobile & Web dropdown menu 
    9. Select Cloud Sync to resync your data and to make sure no errors occur
    10. Wait for it to finish syncing 
    11. Sign back in on your Quicken Mobile app

Once that is done, see if the issue still persists.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Mike Duncan
    Mike Duncan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Quicken Anja

I followed your guidance to make sure that my Cloud Dataset name was set up correctly and did the Reset.

When I had finished and looked again in Quicken Mobile, the problem still existed. It appears that it is only the Reminders section that shows this money transfer inverted. If I look at the accounts using Quicken Mobile, the actual transfer shows correctly in each account (debiting the correct account and crediting the other).

It has occurred to me that I am interpreting what I am seeing on the screen incorrectly. This is my point of view….

If I see a Reminder entry named Scheduled Monthly Transfer (this is what I named it in Quicken Desktop), and it show a positive dollar amount (in green), then I expect the account named to get that positive amount on the date in the reminder. If you look in the screen shot I provided, you will see $3,000.00 (green) against the account Discover Savings. But the Scheduled transaction is actually moving $3,000 from Discover Savings to my TD Bank Joint Checking, which is confirmed by the account registers.

I think it is time to get the Product Designers involved.

Regards, Mike Duncan
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @Quicken Anja and @Mike Duncan,

I think I see what is happening here, and it's just a matter of perspective (although very confusing). The app is picking up the category from the register in which the transaction occurs. In the case of an expense or deposit, it's clear what it is doing. For example, in my checking account, if I have an expense for my cell phone, the app shows Verizon as the payee and Mobile Phone as the expense category. It shows the transaction from the perspective of the account it is being paid from, but there is no reference to the account itself on the Bills & Income screen.

This is where the confusion results for transfers. For example, let's take a credit card payment. The checking account it is paid from has the Payee (e.g., Capital One) and a category of Transfer:[Capital One]. This shows as a negative amount in black font. The other side of the transaction (the credit card register) has the same payee (Capital One) but a category of Transfer:[Checking Account]. This is shown as positive in green font.

To summarize, the transaction shown in the Bills & Income screen for transfers in the mobile app is not the account it is paid from; rather it is the account it is paid to. It needs to be this way to be consistent with the way income and expense categories are shown on that screen. So, it is correct, but confusing.

Note that this is not the way the Bills & Income tab on the desktop Quicken Home screen shows things. There it has the payee and the account it is being paid from. There is no mention of the category. Perhaps the developers should change Quicken Mobile to be consistent with the desktop. This would clear up all of the confusion. @Quicken Anja , can you please pass along this suggestion?

There is one additional thing that needs to be fixed on this screen (at least for Mac users – it may be the same for Windows). If you have a recurring transaction and you edit only the next instance of it, the edited amount does not show on the Bills & Income screen. It shows the recurring amount. This also needs to be brought to the attention of the developers.

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mike Duncan I haven't seen a response from you on this, so I wanted to let you know that I posted a product idea that you may want to vote for. It is here:

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja I sent feedback through the app for both issues and created an idea to change the display of the upcoming transactions on the Bills & Income screen (the issue with the edited recurring transactions is not a product change, but rather a bug). Anything you can do to advocate for these changes would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Mike Duncan
    Mike Duncan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@John_M Sorry I haven’t responded. My wife is currently in hospital recovering from shoulder surgery and I’ve been a little busy. Will get to reviewing your comments asap.

Regards, Mike Duncan
This discussion has been closed.