Replace a broken CD Quicken 2017

Options
Hapen
Hapen Member
edited November 2023 in Before you Buy

Unfortunately I have broken my Quicken 2017. I would like to know how I get hold of a replacement CD. Is there anyone for Sale?

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

eBay would be the best place but look out for scammers.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Since Quicken 2017 was long ago discontinued by Quicken, there's no way to get a new Quicken 2017 from the company — so as suggested, you'd have to turn to the secondary market, like eBay.

But I just want to share a warning about the possibility that if you find and buy a Quicken 2017 CD, it may not work. I'm a Quicken Mac user, so I don't know if Quicken Windows is the same, but what's on the CD was generally a pre-release version of the program which immediately upon launch triggered a download update to get the latest version. The problem is that lots of things have changed since the CD was produced in mid-2016. Quicken separated from Intuit, and moved a lot of services — including product updates — to new Quicken servers. So there's a good chance that running a Quicken 2017 CD will try to contact an old Intuit server which is no longer in service and will fail to find and install a working version of Quicken 2017.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

It is pretty much the same for QWin 2014-2017 as @jacobs mentioned regarding QMac. Simply buying a used QWin 2017 disc will not allow you to access your data file (or create a new one) without jumping through some workaround hoops that might or might not work for you. If the workarounds do not work for you, then that money you spent for the CD will have been wasted.

If you still wish to head down this path of buying a used QWin 2017 CD, you might want to read through this post thread two see what those 2 different workaround procedures are that might allow you to get that installation to work properly: How to reinstall Quicken 2017 - accidentally deleted it (edit).

The only way for sure to get QWin to work and to be able to view your data file, again, is to upgrade to Subscription. After the 1st year you can then decide whether or not to renew the subscription. If you decide not to renew your installation you will still be able to use it manually (like you had been doing with old QWin 2017 installation) but there will be banners reminding you to renew that will take up 20%-30% of the Quicken screen. There is no way to remove those banners without renewing the subscription.

Another option that some have tried doing is to downgrade to QWin 2013 Deluxe. It can be downloaded for free from Quicken 2013 for Windows. But the process for getting your QWin 2017 data into and setup properly in QWin 2013 can be difficult and time consuming. If you want to read up on this option some more you might want to check out this post thread: Re: HELP!!! Broken Q2017 file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

are you trying to install Q2017 on a different computer ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Hapen
    Hapen Member
    Options

As I live in Sweden I only use it without any connection to the web. All transactions are entered manually. This perfect for me and as I understand the 2017 version is the last one without the need to subscribe. My current broken CD was bought on Ebay but now I haven't managed to find a new one. I was hoping that someone in this community had one for sale. Thanks for all the answers even if I'm not any wiser.

Hapen

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

May I ask why you need another CD? Do you need to reinstall the program or install it on another computer?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    Options

As has been noted above, even if someone can give you a 2017 CD, it likely will not work because it needs to connect to a server to install the full current version of Quicken 2017.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023
    Options

deleted

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    Options

@Jon I'm pretty certain that the webpage page of prior versions you cited only applies to Quicken Subscription versions, which began in fall 2017. the version you download requires you to log in to authenticate, and the Quicken.com database will check to see if you had a valid subscription as of the version date. You can see that the oldest version to download on that page is Quicken Mac 5.3.x, which is a subscription version (originally called Quicken 2018); Quicken 2017 was version 4.x.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023
    Options

@jacobs I realized that while you were posting your reply.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.