When will printing 3 checks per page be fixed on Quicken Mac Classic

Options
BerkMike
BerkMike Member

It has literally been years since printing checks 3 per page (3.5" high checks) has been broken. At best you can get 1 of the 3 checks for a page to be properly aligned, but no further. Is this ever going to get fixed? Every time I upgrade I hope for a fix and have been disappointed again with the new Classic Mac version. This 3.5" high check 3 per page has been a standard for decades. Why can't a basic issue like this get addressed????

Tagged:

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The "new Classic Mac" version is simply a rebranding of Quicklen's logo and colors; it's not an updated version of the program.

As to when the issue will get fixed, the question is whether this is even on the developers' radar. Posts here aren't seen by the developers.

I've just looked through the Product Ideas section of this site for Quicken Mac - Printing issues, and I see only one open thread regarding check printing:

All the comments in that thread relate to the inability to move the Memo line up or down independently of the other lines. I don't see anything about 3-per-page checks mentioned by users there. (That topic has a status of "Under Consideration", meaning it has been forwarded to the developers, who have not yet made a commitment to put this on their development schedule.) The absence in that thread about 3-up checks is what makes me wonder if this is an issue the developers are aware of.

Have you spent time on the phone with Quicken Support going through what goes wrong when you print checks? They can document a verified problem to pass to the developers. (Or, possibly, look into it to tell you if it's a known existing issue in their development database.)

Unfortunately, printing alignment issues can be tough to diagnose, because different printers and print drivers can adjust margins that the program expects, throwing off alignment. It's unlikely the developers would make a change for a specific printer if it works properly on most printers. But if it's wrong on all printers, it should be on their bug database list to address at some point.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BerkMike
    BerkMike Member
    Options

Thank you for your follow up. The issue has occurred over at least two different manufacturers of laser printer. A handful of years ago I spent 3+ hours between hold time and over the phone diagnosing. After exhausting those options, a consult to a support manager yielded an answer "we no longer support 3.5" high checks. This was a ridiculous response as it's still a standard today. The option of forwarding to developer consideration was not brought up. Is the 'Product Ideas' where I would attempt to get this considered by the company?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please check to see if your printer driver software is up to date. Sometimes the driver version that comes with the operating system is not the latest version. The printer manufacturer's website will have the latest drivers.

You may need to create a Printer Preset for printing checks, to ensure paper size = letter size, one-sided, quality mode, 100% size (no magnification/reduction). None of the automatic paper recognition, photo print or other fancy settings may work properly.

Please read

for details and an image of the "Print" printer selection menu where the Presets are defined.

• jacobs
    Options

Or… it may be simpler to just swallow your investment in the 3-up checks and switch to regular 1-per page checks.

3-up checks were indeed a standard for a long time, but I suspect most people and software has migrated over time to full page single check printing as the real “standard”.

If this hasn’t worked for you for a long time, how are you doing checks? Hand writing them? Would just getting checks that work with Quicken Mac make your life easier?

• BerkMike
    BerkMike Member
    Options

UKR, thank you for you suggestion on the drivers. I will check again, but as this has endured over a longer term I don't believe that will address.

Jacobs, I personally don't want to elevate the waste by going single page voucher checks. As far as I can tell, quicken.com the software provider does not sell check stock and the absurdly priced check stock sold by Intuit, the former owner of Quicken, is the same size 3.5" high that you get at other providers such as Harland Clarke.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Printer drivers are mentioned as only one of the possibilities where things can go bump in the night.

Have you tried setting up a Print Preset for printing checks, to define a proper 8.5*11" page, as described in the link I gave you in my earlier response above? That is more likely the solution to your print alignment problem.

• jacobs
    Options

@BerkMike You can buy checks from many, many vendors, not just the old traditional Harland Clark. And no reason to buy from Intuit.

For other software where I used to work, I had good success for many years with CheckDepot.net. They offer checks for Quicken with or without lines (without lines could help with problematic alignment in Quicken Mac); 100 for $25, 500 for $60; a $10 discount pops up for new users. That's one I have personal experience with, but there are many companies which offer checks for prices far lower than the old days when this was controlled by banks and software vendors.

This discussion has been closed.