Restoring Backup Issues

Options
Jack Redwine
Jack Redwine Member ✭✭

Problem:

After restoring a backup, I begin getting CC-800 errors on some accounts. The CC-800 errors continue to occur regardless of the data file (QDF) I attempt to use. The errors continue to occur even on copies of previous data files I have copied using Windows copy. The error occurs even on other PCs using any backup or any copy of one of my QDFs. The only recovery solution I have found is to make a quicken copy of the file which requires me to reestablish all connections to my financial institution accounts. That process is lengthy due to the time required for the copy to run and the large number of accounts that need to be relinked.

I have run validate and super validate on my QDFs and they do not show errors or corruption.
I have discussed this with 4 Quicken technical support agents and no one has been able to explain why or how this is occurring.

Hypothesis:
There must be some data that is stored on the Quicken Cloud for my account that becomes corrupt since the problem occurs independent of my data file (QDF) or computer. Also, the process of creating a copy using Quicken and re linking all the financial institutions is somehow “resetting” the data because after that process the errors cease to occur. However, the error reoccurs every time I attempt to restore a backup. I'm hoping there is an easier way to recover from this than the Quicken Copy File and Relink Accounts approach.
Does anyone have a better approach and if not, is there a way to get quicken support to help me solve this? I have noticed several other users have this problem.

Windows 11, most current version of Quicken, all QDFs on C: drive.

Tagged:

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Instead of restoring a backup, I would suggest changing the backup file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and the opening the file directly in Quicken.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Be sure to do that with a Windows copy of the backup file, otherwise, you will not have any version of that particular backup file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I can tell you it’s not a hypothesis. There’s definitely data stored on the Quicken cloud that affects the downloading of transactions..

and I’m afraid I’m probably not going to be able to give you a perfect way to restore in a back up if it’s any length of time in the past. And as the others have suggested, there are a few things you can do to mitigate the problems, but I know of nothing that will totally eliminate them. You might basically end up having to deactivate and reactivate accounts to get them working.

Here are a few details first off Quicken’s Restore it is definitely going to do a sync from the Quicken’s cloud account down to your data file. And as you surmised, they can definitely mess up your data file for various reasons. In general, I have found that if I’m not restoring too far back, I can get away with the others have suggested and just put a copy of my old data file over the one I want to replace and open it. But you’ll notice that you now have an old data file with new data that’s stored in the Quicken cloud account. If it gets too far off, it might not sync properly when you go to download Transactions.

The only way I know to ensure that the Quicken and Cloud account data can’t mess up the Quicken Desktop data file is to blow away the Quicken Cloud data account. The way you would do that is create another data file and set it up for syncing with mobile/web. And then, in the Preferences, you can go down to the cloud account information and remove the cloud account data from the original file. Another way, which is more drastic is to use quickens copy function. The copy will be disconnected from the Quicken and Cloud and re-created but you also mean all your online accounts will be deactivated.

of course, you can immediately see the problem, you’ve insured as a Quicken and Cloud account can’t mess up your day to file, but you just removed important information that may be used to connect to your online accounts. So you might end up having to deactivate the problem accounts and reactivate them.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.