One Step Update freezes after update to Windows 11

Options
depristo2
depristo2 Member

Quicken Classic was working fine, When I updated to Windows, the One Step Update would lock up and I had to terminate Quicken via Task Manager. There was another discussion that was closed earlier in October. "Quicken will not complete One Step Update" However I have tried all of the actions described and it still does not work.

I have tried updating each of the accounts and was successful except for two Schwab accounts. I signed out of the Online service on those accounts and reenrolled them. It did one update. Trying One Step Update again was back to the original lock up behavior.

need help.

Comments

• depristo2
    depristo2 Member
    Options

One typo - iy happened when I updated to Windows 11.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @depristo2,

To help troubleshoot this issue, could you please provide more information? When did this issue start? When the One Step Update locks up, how long are you waiting for it to complete? Are you terminating the program through the Task Manager, or is Quicken closing on its own? Does the One Step Update lock up only when those Schwab accounts are selected? Since you mentioned this happened after your computer's operating system updated, did you already try uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• depristo2
    depristo2 Member
    Options

This started 10/20/2023 after I updated the PC to Window's 11. Thanks for having me go back and check possible causes of the failure. I have narrowed down the problem. I can include the Schwab accounts if I go into the Settings for One Step Update, deselect the "Download Quotes and investment information" item under Online Services before telling it to Update. So I tried to only select the "Download Quotes and investment information" (deselecting all of the accounts, it works fine.

So is there a place where I can reset or redefine where it goes to "Download Quotes and investment information"?

The precise failure mode is that the Update Status screen comes up normally, but the little circles are not going around. I wait for about a minute. Then if I just click the screen in the Update Status window, the full Quicken Classic window (in the baxkground) goes completely black, and in a few seconds, the operating system comes up with an info/action window saying something like "the application has stopped responding, do you want to close the App or continue to wait." the first time I waited about a minute and nothing happened. so now as I am testing scenarios, once I get the close or continue popup, I choose close.

Thanks for the help.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Online services, such as "Download quotes and investment information" don't let you redefine where it gets the information. It gives you the option to uncheck the box if you don't want it to download that information, and it gives you a link that lets you select which securities you want quotes for (the "select quotes" link on the One Step Update settings screen).

Since this issue started right after updating your computer's operating system, I suggest that you check for file issues by validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• depristo2
    depristo2 Member
    Options

When I tried to do the Validate, it never finished and the validation seemed to hang up just like the One Step Update does. I had to have Windows close Quicken.

Now what?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

The next step is to restore a backup of your Quicken file from before the issue started and check to see if the issue is persisting in the newly restored file.

Let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• depristo2
    depristo2 Member
    Options

The issue persists with the restored backup copy.

Now what?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you updated to Windows 11, did you follow Microsoft's setup prompts and allow it to activate OneDrive?

If so, you may be affected by the issue described in this recent Alert

As described in the Alert, you could try pausing OneDrive syncing before starting Quicken. Please let us know if you are running OneDrive and if that fixes your issues.

QWin Premier subscription
  • depristo2
    depristo2 Member
    Options

Quicken Kristina -
    You are quite good and clear with your help, and I really appreciate it.

I did the Copy and tried to update just the prices (the place that I isolated the problem to) and it failed just like the previous ones.

See my next comment back to Jim_Harman regarding trying his suggestion (did not solve).

Is there a time when the best thing to do is to uninstall Quicken and reinstall it. I would be doing the install in Windows 11 so it might make a difference. If so, what are the caveats or special advice?

But you are the expert, so now what?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Uninstalling and reinstalling the program may correct the issue. While an uninstall should not affect your data file, it is always a good idea to backup your file prior to uninstalling the program. Once you have backed up the file, you can uninstall and reinstall Quicken.

Once you have finished reinstalling Quicken, restart the computer and test to see if the issue persists.

Please let me know how it goes.

Quicken Kristina

• depristo2
    depristo2 Member
    Options

Jim_Harman
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried it first with just pausing OneDrive sync, and then I moved the database to directly on C: and in both cases it failed in the same manner as previously reported - it freezes up if the OneStep Update includes the Update Prices checkbox.

I am wondering if thrre is a reason to consider uninstalling it and then reinstalling it, assuming I would not lose my data.

This discussion has been closed.