Quicken 2016 - asking for User ID and Password

Options
1955buzzy
1955buzzy Member

When I sign into Quicken 2016, I always get this blank box that comes up twice where the heading says, Enter Quicken ID Password. I click the red X on each box that pop-up and it goes away. I have gone to Edit, Preferences, Quicken ID, Mobile and Alerts & Cloud Accounts so I could uncheck the box for quicken updates, but there's no box to uncheck. Also sometimes when I open Quicken I also get an error occurred box that says unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load and a box that says show details. When I click show details it says we are unable to connect Quicken server. Please check your internet connectivity and try again. I have included photos of the errors. What can I do to get it to quit wanting to check for updates? Isn't there something in Quicken.ini that notepad can change to keep this from happening all the time? I know that this is an older version that has been working great for what I need it for. I am not willing to update where I have to pay a yearly/monthly fee.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q2016 is no longer a supported product … which is why you're getting these messages. Hasn't been supported since 2019.

You need to upgrade to the current Q Subscription product to get any software or financial updates.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• 1955buzzy
    1955buzzy Member
    Options

I don not care about getting the updates and I know that it has not been supported since 2019. I just want to use Q2016 the way I have been but without it asking for updates all the time. I'm sure it can be done, just need the right person to respond.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What caused you to sign in with your Quicken Id?

Whatever it was basically mucked up your system/Quicken registration and it may not be fixable short of maybe a full restore of your system.

About a year or two ago Quicken Inc changed the log in system (on the server side) for the Quicken Id and it no longer works for any old version of Quicken.

That isn't a problem as long as Quicken considers your registration valid and doesn't check with the server. But without being able to login (blank log in screen), the check can't be done through the server and as such registration can't be completed.

The key file in question is Quicken.ini file:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • 1955buzzy
    1955buzzy Member
    Options

When I open quicken it asks for my password and

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is the situation, basically Quicken 2016 isn't supported by Quicken Inc, and they aren't going to change anything on their servers to make it work, even if it was a change on their server that made it stop working.

People have found that copying the Quicken.ini file that has the registration information in it from a working machine lets the startup of Quicken proceed without asking to login/check registration, which in turn bypasses the fact that Quicken Inc has changed the server login/registration in a way that isn't compatible with the old versions.

This has worked for some people, and not for others. For instance, I'm one that has never found a way to get this to work (I was only using it to troubleshoot other people's problems).

The only last hack I know of (which doesn't work for me) is here:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html

Which is of course not supported by Quicken Inc, and if that doesn't work for you, you will need to pay for Quicken Subscription to get access to your data.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

If things were working by "X"ing out of the boxes -
    what did you do differently - that has now awaken the Quicken registration monster ?
    The old 2016 sleeping registration info was all ok -
    and whatever you did differently has probably wiped that out waiting for the non-existing 2016 server response …

What caused you to try and sign in with your Quicken ID?
    Whatever it was basically mucked up your system/Quicken registration
     -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• 1955buzzy
    1955buzzy Member
    Options

What happened is that my hard drive crashed with BSOD and when I checked it our I had bad sectors and corrupted hard drive. No matter what I did, I rescue anything off of it. So I got a new hard drive and reinstalled everything on the new one from the cd's and downloads that I had and that's when it all started. I found a backup hard drive that I created in 2012 that has Quicken 2010 on it. My question is when I find the Quicken.ini on the backup, then copy and paste it to my running computer and change the info on it to show that its a 2016, or is that a waste of time? I also found my Quicken installation disks for 2010, 2014 and 2016. I was wondering if I uninstall the 2016 and install the 2010 and the backups that I have on that, then same for the 2014 and 2016, will that possibly resolve the issue since I didn't have that problem on the 2010 and 2014. From what I understand, when you install a newer version of Quicken it uninstall the older version and changes the pertinent information that it needs to operate. So will it change the 2010 Quicken.ini info to show that its now the 2014 and the same for the 2016, so it will start up like operate like it did with the 2010, or is that a waste of my time also? Any advice would be appreciated to help resolve this or I will probably just have to live with it and what its doing.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would suggest uninstalling Quicken 2016 and then reinstall following these instructions with no internet connection. Make sure the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken folder is deleted. I would update Quicken 2016 to R19.5 using the Mondo patch found here. I have done this myself and was able to get Quicken working correctly.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • 1955buzzy
    1955buzzy Member
    Options

I have uninstalled and reinstalled per directions and I still get the Enter Quicken ID Password and not the others. If no one has any idea of how to get rid of the enter quicken id password that comes up twice, I guess I'll have to live with that. I was under the impression that changing something in the quicken.ini file could take care of that. I have had my firewall block it and the ransomware block it and to no avail it has not helped either. So, if there are some other ideas, let me know.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried entering your Quicken ID/password? It should be the same as you're using here in the community.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I recall correctly, Quicken Inc. synced ID/passwords only about two years ago. Prior to that, and especially 2016 timeframe, it could be anything.

• 1955buzzy
    1955buzzy Member
    Options

I wanted to tell all of you. Thank you so very much for all your advice and

This discussion has been closed.