How do I update account after account name changed?

Options
Craig_M
Craig_M Member

America's First CU "upgraded" their online banking and when I was finally able to update my 2 accounts (checking and savings) they had changed the names of the accounts back to a generic name. (Ex, in Quicken it was AmFirst Checking in Online Banking it was Thrive Checking) This created two completely new accounts and didn't update the existing accounts. How do I "merge" the accounts back together? I can live with the generic account names but I want all the transactions under the checking and savings (actually, there are no recent transactions under savings but I still want just one account instance).

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Craig_M,

It sounds like it set up new accounts in Quicken for you. If that is the case, then, I suggest that you please deactivate the new accounts that were created and delete them. Please, follow the steps found in this support article to deactivate. Once deactivated, right-click the new account name, select Edit/Delete account, and click Delete Account on the bottom left. Follow the prompts to complete the deletion of the account.

Once it has been deleted, attempt to reconnect the original account through Add Account, by navigating to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name, and follow the prompts to connect. Once your account has been found, be sure to link it to the existing ("old") account you have already set up in Quicken.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you reconnected to your CU you should have gotten a prompt asking what you wanted to do with the downloads. It sounds like you accepted "Add" as the option instead of "Link to existing" account.

What I would probably do if the new accounts were set up recently (within the last 2 months or so) is as follows:

1. In the original accounts: Enter and save the dollar amounts of the Opening Balance transactions into the Memo field of those transactions. (This is not necessary to the process but sometimes when making connection changes to account the Opening Balance transaction amount will get changed. Having the correct amount entered into Memo field makes it very easy and fast to fix the issue if/when it does occur.)
    2. Backup the data file for easy recovery in case something goes wrong.
    3. For both of the new accounts that were set up: Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Delete > Yes > OK.
    4. In the original accounts…ONLY if the account numbers were changed by the CU when the new accounts were set up: Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > General tab > remove all Financial Institution Information from the upper right quadrant of that tab (everything above the Contact Name field). Make sure to do this for both of the original accounts.
    5. In one of the original accounts (it does not matter which one): Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Set Up Now > follow the prompts to complete the online services setup process > when prompted by Quicken, make sure to Link the downloads to the already existing accounts in Quicken.
    6. Your original accounts should now be set up for downloading again. The account names should not have been changed but if they did you can do that manually on the General tab of Account Details.
    7. Check your account registers to make sure they show the correct balance. If the accounts balances are correct, then you are done.
    8. If the account balances are not correct: Check the Opening Balance transaction amount. If it does not match what you'd entered into the Memo field, edit the amount to match what is shown in the Memo field.
    9. If the account balances still are not correct: Scroll backward in the register from the current date. Look for duplicate transactions. If you find any, keep one of each duplicate and delete the other. Generally, you will not need to go back more than 90 days or so since most financial institutions do not download more than 90 days of transactions.
    10. If the account balances still are not correct: Look for a 2nd, more recently dated, Opening Balance transaction. It is not common for a 2nd Opening Balance transaction to be entered into the register but it sometimes does happen. If you find it (it would not have the dollar amount entered into the Memo field), delete it.

If the new accounts were set up more than 2 months ago, let me know and I think it would be better to go a different path. I can then lay out that process.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.