Can no longer "Recategorize" transactions within the "Itemized Category Report"

Options
hansenb40
hansenb40 Unconfirmed ✭✭✭

I can no longer recategorize transactions from a itemized category report. I use this frequently and has been broken for many months. Please correct.

I have uploaded santized logs.

Tagged:

Comments

• hansenb40
    Options

Version R42.33 build 27.1.52.33 windows 10 enterpise

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @hansenb40,

To help troubleshoot this issue, could you please provide more information? When did you first notice this issue? Which version of Quicken were you using when the issue started? What process do you normally use and what happens when you try to use the report to update the category (for example, do you usually select the transaction in the report, double click it, and it is no longer bringing you to the correct place in the account register)? Is this affecting all transactions/all accounts?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• hansenb40
    Options

See my post above that contains release information.

I have seen this for a few months now. I update my quicken when an update is available, so that is several releases.

I have custom reports that I use. From the report, I right click on a transaction and select the "recatogorize transactions(s)". This is now disabled.

This affects every transaction in every report I have created.

Double clicking takes me to the register entry. I don't want to do it this way as I usually recategorize many transactions. I frequently use multi-select and do a set at a time via the context menu.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Is this happening only in saved reports, or does it also happen in newly created reports?

When you right click, is "recategorize transactions" greyed out?

If it is, have you tried left clicking to select the transaction first, then right clicking on it?

If it is not greyed out, or if the above does not work, could you please provide more detail exactly what is happening? If possible, including a screenshot of what you are seeing (with any personal information blurred or obscured) would also help. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.     

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• hansenb40
    Options

It happens in newly created reports and saved reports. It doesn't matter if I select the transaction first or if I don't.

Now that I look at it, "Delete Transaction", "Recateorize transaction(s)", "Retag transaction(s)", "Rename payee(s)" and "Edit Memo(s) are all greyed out. I only use the recategorize transaction(s).

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• hansenb40
    Options

Made a complete copy and ran super validate on it. Restarted quicken after waiting more than 5 seconds and I still have the problem.

Should I be concerned about any of this in the validate log, I don't think I should be? I removed my account names and replaced them with xxxx.

[Sun Oct 29 12:57:54 2023]

File: "F:\QuickenBackup\hansen-2023-10-28-validate"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    The old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Sun Oct 29 13:07:35 2023]
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx, security "MICROSOFT CORP", on 2/18/2003 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx, security "MICROSOFT CORP", on 3/29/1999 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx , security "MICROSOFT CORP", on 2/23/1998 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx, "Discover Brokerage", security "INTEL CORP", on 7/14/1997 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx, security "ATT", on 3/20/1998 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx, security "ATT", on 5/25/1993 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx, security "ATT", on 5/22/1987 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx, security "ALPHABET INC CAP STK CL A", on 7/18/2022 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account xxx, ALPHABET INC CAP STK CL C", on 7/18/2022 that might be missing.
    Maximum security reference: 201, number of securities: 201.
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 25/0/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.

• hansenb40
    Options

Just tried a new report and that seems to behave as expected, all the options are enabled and I can recategorized a transaction. I don't think the validation had anything to do with it since this worked on a data file I didn't validate. Maybe my memory was incorrect earlier and it did work on new reports. Apologies for the mis-information.

I guess the question now is why can't I do this with my saved reports.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

I'm not able to replicate the issue you're encountering, which leads me to believe this may be a file specific issue. The next step to troubleshoot this would be restoring a backup from before the issue started, if possible.

If that is not a viable option, then I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file, which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• hansenb40
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

Thanks for your suggestions. Restoring a backup is not viable since I'm not exactly sure when it happened, nor do I want to go through the process of reconnecting all my accounts and downloading data for more than 50 accounts associated with about 25 institusions that I manage based on some random date I select. I will also lose any customizations that I have made since the random date I choose.

I have already made a Complete Backup using the first option in your screenshot; "Create A Complete Backup". This file was super validated and the problem still existed. Before I try your suggestion, is this option any different that what you suggest, "Create a copy or template". If you could explain any difference it would be appreciated. If it matters I do not synch any of my accounts or information, nor use mobile, although I am aware there is information about my userid that is stored in the quicken cloud. Does doing a complete copy also create a new dataset ID?

Would creating a dummy file and deleting my original file out in the cloud accomplish the same thing, as it would force a rebuild of my file when I go back to the original?

Thanks for your help.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

To answer your question, creating a dummy file and deleting the original out of the cloud is not the same. That process is a manual cloud reset, and does not impact the file itself.

Creating a complete backup is not the same process as creating a copy. A backup is a way to roll your file back to the state it was in at the date/time you created that backup.

Creating a copy of the file forces Quicken to rebuild the database in that file, which can sometimes correct issues that Validate/Super Validate cannot.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• hansenb40
    Options

@Quicken Kristina Got it, thanks for the explanation. The names of the operations are very unfortunate as they read as being similar. I'm sure you've heard this before. 😁

I'll give it a try. So, in your opinion my issue may be with my local file. My concern is that whenever I try a backup or other file I have to reconnect a bunch of accounts as I get that darn red x in the account list saying something changed and it can't find the account.. This process takes me over an hour if not two given the number of institutions. I need a good reason to try switching files.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post back. I see others are having similar issues. Is there a ticket for this?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

No, there currently is not a ticket for being unable to recategorize transactions through a saved Itemized Category Report.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• hansenb40
    Options

I tried your sugesstion of create a "copy or template". I still have the issue.

The copied file has introduced 22 months of bills in the "Bills and Income Reminders" widget that I would need to skip since I've already paid them. I tried using "Skip all overdue" and it only skips the bill I happend to click on. It copied 304 bills I already paid. This is yet another issue with some unknown cause. I uploaded santized logs.

This software has become quite buggy unfortunately. I see others have reported this recategorize issue as well. I guess I have figured out a workaround, but all these quirky bugs are just hurting customer satisfaction for those of us that are very familiar with this product and have been using it for many years. Very unfortunate, but I need to share my opnion after being a bit frustrated by the number of issues I've stumbled on over the last many months.

@Quicken Kristina Thank you for your help. If there's anything else you can suggest, please do. Maybe someone else will chime in. If you're willing to suggest things to look at for my 304 old copied bills I can create another thread if maybe that can help someone. I'm not going to use the new file.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Since the troubleshooting steps we went through did not resolve the issue, I would recommend reaching out to Quicken Support for further assistance as they have access to tools that I do not and they are able to escalate the issue if necessary. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.