SoFi not linking correctly

Options
Ben
Ben Member ✭✭✭

I noticed SoFi showed up on the available download list. When I try to link my accounts (2 different logins, 2 savings, 2 checking, 1 CC) it shows all the accounts and I select to link the accounts… it says it downloaded transactions for the last 1 day. Yet, the "online services" tab doesn't show it's setup for transaction download and the passwords don't show in my password vault.

I did also try adding as new accounts. The new accounts get created, but then have the same problem showing transaction download is not setup.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and report this as an Online Banking issue. Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it. They may need to obtain your download log files for further review and possible escalation.

Quicken Support:

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I tried calling them. Did the whole screen share, created new file. The end result, "Call your bank and have them fix their connection". I kept asking support to escalate the issue to their back end team to resolve the problem with SoFi. As expected, they refuse to do anything.

I don't know about you, but I have NEVER been able to call a bank and have them fix anything. They always tell me to call Quicken and won't support end users with quicken software. Calling quicken support has never resolved these issues either… I always have to come to the community and get enough people to report the same issue before anything ever happens. Very frustrating every time I have to deal with this.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Ben,

I have reviewed your interaction with Quicken Support. It seems like you were able to connect the account(s), however, no transactions were downloading. Were you able to review this Support Article?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The accounts don't actually link. If I go to the online services tab, it still shows that transaction downloads are not setup. Created a bran new file, same exact issue.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

When I look at the SoFi listing in the fidir.txt file I see this:

67044	67044	67044	SoFi	https://www.sofi.com/	NA	https://www.sofi.com/login/	ACTIVE	 	 	 	ACCOUNTINFO,INVESTMENT&EXP-WEB-CONNECT	NOT_QBP	NA

Notice that it is only got INVESTMENT, it doesn't have BANKING,CREDIT.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting… That may be the issue then. I know in the past when I first tried to add this, it didn't even accept my login information. Now it sees all my accounts and shows it downloaded transactions from the last 1 days.

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I updated my fidir.txt to include BANKING,CREDIT and it correctly linked and downloaded all my transactions for all 3 accounts. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

67044 67044 67044 SoFi https://www.sofi.com/ NA https://www.sofi.com/login/ ACTIVE BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,INVESTMENT&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wow, that is surprising for two reasons. The first is that I didn't think that Quicken used the fidir.txt file directly. When people have looked into this in the past it seemed like they read it in during an update and then put in some internal configuration.

The second part of the surprise it that it was that easy to make it work, which suggests that Intuit (which actually provides this file to Quicken Inc as part of the "connected services" they pay for) has messed up and needs to change the file, and it has nothing to do with all the other "backend" things that might not be setup.

I will warn you that I do believe that the fidir.txt file gets updated on a regular basis, so your changes might be overridden in the future.

You should submit with Help → Submit a problem.

Also, I hope a moderator will take notice and let someone know that is actually is how to make it work.

Signature:
  • Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm pretty surprised it worked myself! I went through all the logs and everything looked like it was supposed to be working without errors anywhere. Soon as you pointed out the missing account types in that file, I figured that was where the final link was failing thinking those account types shouldn't be supported. I suspect everything on the back end was done since I could see all 3 accounts. I'd wager the next update to the file would've included these anyway.

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

For anyone else interested in doing the same thing… The file seems to update just about every time you do an update. I had to change the file after quicken was open while the add account dialogue was open. Once the accounts were linked, the file did revert to the prior state… but transaction downloads are still working without issue without having to update the file.

(Also make sure you have good backups before attempting anything like this… You really should have good backups anyway, just an extra disclaimer)

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can confirm the initial setup/situation:

I have manually entered Checking and Savings accounts, since SoFi doesn't do Quicken (well until I just saw this). So I "added" accounts, chose SoFi, it found both accounts, along with my "vaults" (buckets for Savings Accounts). I didn't link them to my existing accounts (stupidly). I CAN also confirm that it'll add the accounts, and only download ONE days worth of transactions ( I don't have daily transactions in the accounts anyway), and then afterwards, if you "edit" the account details in Quicken it will show it's NOT online enabled. Probably due to that fidir.txt file.

I'll try editing it and see what happens.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ben said:

The file seems to update just about every time you do an update. 

That would explain what others reported changing the fidir.txt file didn't seem to do anything; it gets updated so often you have know exactly when to change it.

I'd wager the next update to the file would've included these anyway.

I wouldn't bet on it. I think it really would help if the people in this thread and a moderator would push this a bit to make sure they are aware of the problem/solution.

Signature:
  • Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW I pushed, multiple times with both SoFi and Quicken support. Not much more I can do than that.

• garyjor
    garyjor Member
    Options

Ben, I am having the exact same issue.

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@garyjor You can try the hack I did to get it working, or wait on SoFi and Intuit to get it together and implement the fix themselves. I called Quicken, and they told me to call the bank and refused to open a back end ticket to resolve it. I opened a ticket with SoFi, and they closed the ticket saying I need to call Quicken to resolve. The more people that call both of them, the better. If they are getting more people complaining, they are more likely to do something about it.

I have been successfully downloading transactions since I reported the "fix" above.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can concur with Ben, that I did the same hack and it's been downloading quite nicely since.

NOTE: If you setup Vaults in your Savings account, it'll find each vault as a separate account. You can decide whether you want to download/sync those or not. IF you do NOT (and you just link the Savings account), at the end of the month, you'll have interest deposits (separated) for each vault and the savings account. So I have like 6 vaults + Savings, so there's 7 entries at 10/31/23 for interest deposits, but they all add up to match the monthly statement.

• gkoni
    gkoni Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Hi Ben,

I followed all your instructions but still not able to see the transactions from SOFI. It just show the opening balance for each sofi account.

Can you please help me detail the steps

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@gkoni
    If the accounts are not getting linked and you still have the same issue I originally reported… then you didn't modify the file correctly, or you did it at the wrong time. Open the file and modify it before you load quicken, after you load quicken, after the add account dialogue is up. Once the accounts actually link, you'll not need to mess with the file again.

• gkoni
    Options

Can you please let me know the location of file. Is it here? It does not seem to get overwritten or update at all how many times I try to update account

C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yup, that's the file path that I updated.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is the correct path (assuming Windows 10 or higher). The file changes/updates after you close/exit Quicken and start it up again and do an OSU. I had to be careful and follow Ben's instructions correctly (else the file isn't read properly by Quicken)

• gkoni
    Options

It works now. Thank you so much @Ben and @mjonis. If anyone else who is trying to link SoFi and updating fidir did not work in the first try, this is what i did

1. Closed Quicken and all process related to quicken
    2. Deleted(moved) fidir.txt from this path C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019
    3. Opened Quicken ( Complains fidir.txt does not exists but creates one and opened up)
    4. Edited newly created fidir.txt to include BANKING,CREDIT as per Ben's instructions
    5. Connect new account → Sofi → Enter credentials (all meanwhile checking changes you made are not getting over written )
    6. Once connected, all transactions are populated (except pending which is fine for SoFi)

• Jim Kuhn
    Jim Kuhn Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried to follow your steps above. When I opened Quicken, it did complain about no fidir.txt file, and did proceed to open, but did not recreate a file. I tried closing it to see if it would create the file then, but no luck. I tred editing the existing file, and adding my Sofi accounts, but it still would not take.

I am at a loss! :(

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • candyman79
    Options

I am so grateful I came across this post. I was on the verge of abandoning Quicken for another program and SoFi for another bank. I wish the Quicken and SoFi would take note and resolve this issue. I have been struggling for the past year to resolve this, while Quicken and SoFi say contact the other party. Adding two simple words in a text file has seemed to fix the issue.

I am unsure if my transactions for the Vaults are pulling in, but the volume of transactions is minimal, so I feel I can easily overcome that.

Thank you to the people on this post for helping me resolve the issue.

Shame on Quicken and SoFi for not resolving this!

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Its a common problem I run across many banks with. I use MANY different banks and have many more accounts in my quicken file than normal people... When a breaking issue happens, quicken and the bank always just send you in circles blaming each other. Glad this helped you out!

I don't use vaults myself, but the fellow above mentioned vaults download as separate accounts so you won't see those transactions unless you link your vaults to accounts in quicken as well.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have Vaults, unless you also created accounts in Quicken for the Vaults, then the transactions do NOT reflect in the Savings Account. You will, however, get separate interest lines for the Vault accounts.

I believe I have 5 vaults. I did not create the vault accounts in Quicken (so I just have Sofi Checking and Savings). I have scheduled transactions to say, transfer $300 from Savings into Vault ABC. When it downloads the Savings transactions, it won't download the $300 "transfer". But, at the end of the month, I'll have 6 interest lines (one for the savings and 5 for the vaults), for the Savings Account.

I was debating about whether to put the Vaults in Quicken or not. I Might just do it as it does kinda make things a bit easier for me to see my " savings goals" as it were.

This discussion has been closed.