QDF file will not open from OneDrive

Options
Geelsu
Geelsu Member

My QDF file recently stopped opening from OneDrive. Other files such as my Excel spreadsheets open fine. If I download the QDF to my desktop into a non-OneDrive folder it will open without issues. If I reboot my computer I can open the QDF file once. After I close it and then try to open it, it will fail. Validation finds no issues with the QDF file. My Quicken auto updates so it has the latest patches and fixes. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Comments

• mggm100
    mggm100 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I'm having the same problem after years of being able to connect to OneDrive (always available on device checked). However, I don't have to reboot. I am able to open it by using the File/Open command in Quicken.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Geelsu
    Geelsu Member
    Options

Thanks all. I tried the File → Open trick. First time failed again, but the second time I did File → Open it worked. Just to be safe I'm keeping a copy on my D:\ drive which has no connection to OneDrive. I am hoping I get a Quicken Update popup soon that fixes this. Do anyone know how to report this as a bug to the company so the developers can get in their queue to fix?

• Geelsu
    Geelsu Member
    Options

Oh wait. Thanks Greg_the_Geek. I see you mentioned it is a known issue. I can guess they are working on it then.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can pause OneDrive before opening your Quicken data file. It's not a bug in Quicken, it's caused by the 10/23/23 update to OneDrive.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Gregg107
    Gregg107 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The latest release notes (R53.16) indicated a fix for OneDrive issues. To wit: "Fixed an issue in which customers were unable to open the datafile stored on OneDrive." However I still get an error when opening my password-protected QW file. I hit enter 4-5 times on the password dialog error box and the file eventually opens and QW performs normally.

• mggm100
    mggm100 Member ✭✭
    Options

I had the same experience. The update did not fix the issue for me. I still have to pause OneDrive synching in order to open the file.

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I had issues with OneDrive, and was told that the QDF and the Quicken app is not compatible with OneDrive. I was advised to move my data file off OneDrive. I did and have not had any issues since. Seems the app needs to work with OneDrive, like all other apps do.

On top of that, Microsoft has been forcing a lot of users to OneDrive automatically (happened to me). But I also have issues with OneDrive for other apps too, that are caused by OneDrive. So seems there is plenty of blame and plenty of work for all.

PS - My issue with OneDrive and Quicken was, when I opened Quicken, OneDrive would immediately start resyncing the QDF file, and kept doing that the whole time the file was open. Then when I closed Quicken app, it would do one final sync, and be done. My file is very large, so the sync took a while.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Randy 415 Said:

On top of that, Microsoft has been forcing a lot of users to OneDrive automatically (happened to me). But I also have issues with OneDrive for other apps too, that are caused by OneDrive. So seems there is plenty of blame and plenty of work for all.

I'm not sure if I have ever seen Windows force OneDrive to be on or for your Documents folder (and others) to be synced using it. But they certainly make if very easy to turn on, and recommend it, and the prompts are far from clear of what is going to happen. Here is how it is stated in the OneDrive settings:

But when first asked about this it more like "You should protect your files from loss, do you want to turn it on?"

I think the very fact you are having problems with other applications point to who's fault this is. It is Microsoft's.

They have clearly changed their sync from honoring Quicken's lock on the data file, some kind of guess on if the application is using the data file or not. And the guess isn't 100% correct.

Given this, there isn't really anything that Quicken can do about this. The Quicken developers are responding the best they can, but it really isn't in their power to fix this. I was really surprised to see the release notes stating that they made an attempt to fix it, but not in least surprised that their fix works for some and not others.

It is clearly proven that there is a timing to this. Just the fact that people could try to open the file a few seconds later and it works proves that "time matters".

If a program doesn't need to have the data file locked (the data file is always in a consistent state) then what Microsoft is doing will not affect it. But Quicken has a database that can't be synced at the wrong time. In a way people having the problems they are a "good thing".

Right now, what is happening is Quicken is being blocked from opening its own data file. That is at least not going to corrupt the data file. But if OneDrive is ignoring the lock on the data file, then potentially it could sync the Quicken data file while it is in an inconsistent state. That could lead to data file corruption.

Not being able to open your data file is the lesser of two evils.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mikepilo
    mikepilo Member ✭✭
    Options

Latest update (R53.16) did not solve the OneDrive propblem for me. This video did:

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Just to be clear @mikepilo this is basically the same recommendation that been proposed by Quicken Inc and stated here several times. It is nothing more than moving your data file out of OneDrive to a local folder that isn't going to be synced to the OneDrive server.

As in example, I put a data file in three different locations and opening them in Quicken so that you can see the full paths easily:

#3 is an example of what I did. I just created the C:\Quicken folder put my data file there and opened it from there. It has been like this for years. Just bear in mind that you need to make sure you backup this file. One way is to use Quicken's automatic backup set to do it every 1 times you open Quicken, so that it does it every time. And for this you will want the backup to be in OneDrive or some other place that is backup up off of this computer.

#1 is the example of what Leo did in his video.

#2 is the one that is going to have OneDrive syncing your data file to their server.

When you tell Windows/OneDrive to "backup your Documents, Pictures, …"

What it does is change this:

And it moves your files from C:\Users\Chris\Documents to C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive\Documents

One might think that if you browse your Documents\Quicken folder that you should see what is in C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Quicken, but that isn't the case:

As you can see "Documents" is point to the one in OneDrive and only that one.

Personally, I don't like this to use C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Quicken. It is ways down in the path and it isn't a location that you will normally go to. I find remembering that it is at C:\Quicken easier than remembering it is at C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Quicken.

But I have a little trick for people no matter which path you use.

If you pin the folder to "Quicken Access" in Windows File Explorer then you will get something like this:

To pin a folder just browse to it and right click on it.

One last thing I would like to note. If you are using OneDrive to back up your Documents, Pictures, … then most likely your Desktop folder is in a OneDrive folder too.

Signature:
  • josephcasey
    josephcasey Member ✭✭
    Options

I understand that One Drive may be the culprit but that doesn't explain why it consistently requires 2 tries to open the data file. If it was solely One Drive, I would expect that it would always fail.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not a 100% sure of this, but my guess would be that as Quicken is first opening that data file something is updated, like maybe some date information. This causes OneDrive to want to sync it. But if just a few seconds that information gets synced and the next time Quicken goes to open the data file there isn't any new information to add, then there isn't anything for OneDrive to sync.

Signature:
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello All,

We would like to know if users are still experiencing this issue?

If so, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or once you have submitted logs!

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I strongly suggest that anyone sending a sanitized data file first use:

File → Copy or Backup File … → Create a copy of template

And send a sanitized file of that copy instead of the original data file.

Signature:
  • Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

My file is too large to send. Also, when I try to attach additional files (screenshots etc), quicken tells me that i have exceeded the 10 limit. Well, the check boxes send 9, so I can only attach one extra file.

Help > Report a problem> needs help.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

If you are going to make a copied data file, please initiate a process once to see if the same issue with OneDrive occurs, then you may send the copied data file logs. If the same issue does not occur, then please send the logs/sanitized file using your original file.

Also, we would like users to try a few troubleshooting steps to see if the issue continues to occur. Does your file work as expected after pausing one drive, opening the file, closing the file, unpausing one drive, and then opening the file again but this time without pausing one drive?

Please let us know!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello All,

We would also like to know if you are experiencing this issue with your Quicken ID password, data file password, or both.

Please let us know.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

• USMA74
    USMA74 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problems as everyone else. To be clear… I'm a 30+ year Quicken user, and having been using Quicken AND OneDrive for years without a problem.

I sync everything with OneDrive, and have ZERO other problems with other applications and OneDrive.

Quicken made a change, and now it doesn't work right. They want to blame it on OneDrive.

Their recent upgrade said it would fix the compatibility issues, and it did not.

Quicken - Please fix the problem

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello All,

We would like to try some troubleshooting steps to see if this resolves the issue. Please follow the instructions below.

1. Close Quicken
    2. Restart the system
    3. Don’t pause or do anything to One Drive
    4. Install the patch (https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.2.63.19MPatch.zip)you will need to unzip the file, go to the DISK1 folder, and run Setup.exe
    5. Open Quicken after the patch is installed.  Quicken should open as expected.
    6. Close and re-open Quicken.  Quicken should open as expected.

If Quicken doesn’t open as expected, please come back and report the file path (where it’s stored) and if there were any changes to the prior issue that was occurring (opens the first time, but not the second, vice versa, etc.)

-Quicken Jasmine

• Gregg107
    Gregg107 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine — I followed the directions above an successfully installed the patch. Unfortunately for me, the patch did not resolve the problem. I am still getting the error dialog box after entering the password for my data file. The error claims the password doesn't match when in fact it does. I worked with a developer Monday and provided detail use case scenarios whereby I can successfully open the file after the error dialog box appears. Those scenarios are still consistently showing the same behavior (e.g. the file will open if I hit Enter on the error dialog box 3-5 times).

• tech5709
    tech5709 Member
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine - I also installed the patch and have seen no change in the behaviour. File still will not open properly. My file path is OneDrive\Documents\Quicken.

• MICKEYBNY
    MICKEYBNY Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried the new patch and same issues with file not opening until I make several attempts. I finally removed the password as very annoying. I do not wish to stop using OneDrive, so hopefully a fix is around the corner. When I moved my database outside of OneDrive path, it worked, but all my QuickPay set up, etc. didn't transfer over.

This discussion has been closed.