Memo field length

Options
BarryZ
BarryZ Member

On downloading transactions from my bank the Memo filed in Quicken is not fully populated with the bank description. I get the first 18 characters followed by a … Is this a bank issue or a setting in Quicken? Thanks.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @BarryZ,

The memo and payee field come directly from the Financial Institution's servers, which Quicken does not have access to. Unless you have set renaming rules or memorized payee rules, the information would be downloaded directly from the FI (financial institution).

Which financial institution are you experiencing this with? What is the connection method? You can see the connection method by navigating to Tools > Account List.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• BarryZ
    BarryZ Member
    Options

Thanks Jasmine. It's Conexus Credit Union in SK, CA. The connection method is web connect. I called them and said to try delinking the account and then relinking it. Does this sound reasonable?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have posted this in Quicken on the web, so hopefully you are talking about the Quicken Web App.

The GUI behavior on Quicken Web is to use … if the full memo can't be displayed.

Example:

Here I reduced the size of the web browser window:

Quicken Windows Desktop on the other hand truncates it like this:

Note if the problem is that the memo field is actually … in Quicken Desktop then it is unlikely that disconnecting and reconnecting of online account will do anything. If this information is downloaded in a QFX file then you can edit that QFX file with a text editor and look for that memo field and see for sure if the financial institution truncated it or not.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BarryZ
    BarryZ Member
    Options

I tried downloads from the Credit Union in OFX, Quicken and QuickBooks formats. Looking at the data in a text editor I get the same results in all 3 cases:

<NAME> SASKENERGY INCORPORATED<MEMO> SASKENERGY INCORPOR…Is the a banking issue or a Quicken issue and, if the latter, how do I fix this truncation issue?Thanks.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @BarryZ,

You can follow the instructions below to deactivate and reactivate per the Financial Institution's request. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding.

1. Open the Account List in Quicken (Tools > Account List OR Ctrl + A)
    2. If present, select the Show Hidden Accounts checkbox at the bottom of the Account List
    3. Edit each account with this financial institution to Deactivate (or Remove From One Step Update) on the Online Services tab
    4. Click on the General tab and remove any info displayed in the Financial Institution, and Account/Routing Number fields. Note: The account must be deactivated first before these fields can be edited.
    5. When finished, close the Account List
    6. Close, then re-open Quicken
    7. Navigate to Tools > Add Account 
    8. Walkthrough this process as if you were going to add a new account, providing the login credentials and answering any security questions/processes presented until you reach the screen where Quicken displays the Accounts Discovered at the financial institution
    9. Very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have set up in Quicken.

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

You can report back here and to Conexus Credit Union on the results.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the memo is like that in the QFX file there is nothing Quicken can do. It can't make up data, and it of course it is your financial institution that created that file. Only they can fix it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.