AmEx accounts won't "re-connnect" to online services

Options
RedCab
RedCab Member ✭✭

Don't know why but 2 of my 3 American Express accounts have lost their online connections.

I follow the "set up now" procedure available under "account details", middle tab

I'm sent to the AmEx webpage and successfully authorize there, then redirected back to Quicken where I expect it will confirm that I want to link the quicken account to the online account I just authorized. However it fails to finish.

"Quicken is having trouble connecting to American Express"

This has gone on for several days…

Comments

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yup. Same here. One of my three accounts reauthorized successfully, but the other two won't with the same error as OP. Been happening for several days now.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @RedCab,

To start with, could you please try reactivating through Add Account (instead of through Set Up Now)?

To reactivate through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for the Financial Institution name, and follow the prompts to connect. If your account(s) have been found successfully, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That doesn't work in my case. I'm able to reauthorize on the AMEX side (I get their OK message, "Your accounts have been authorized successfully!"), but when I return to Quicken, after a moment, the window says "Sign into American Express bank failed. Try again." This is happened for the past few days when I was asked to reauthorize my 3 AMEX accounts.

• lele14
    lele14 Member
    Options

This is happening to be repeatedly for the past two days. Of my five accounts one was able to be authorized when I did it by itself. Trying to add new doesn't work as well.

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Options

OP here…

Tried the suggested "add account" route. Did not work.

Succession of screenshots ….

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

That error often comes up when something interferes with communication between Quicken and the web browser that pops up so you can authorize with American Express. Are you getting that error instantly, as soon as you finish authorizing through the web browser, or does it take a few minutes, then show that error? Which default web browser do you use? Do you have an antivirus software that pulls banking sessions into it's own custom browser (if so, I'd recommend pausing that functionality while performing the reauthorization)? Do you have any browser extensions, such as ad blockers or pop up blockers active (if so, please pause these while reauthorizing your accounts)? Have you tried temporarily setting a different default web browser?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

The error in quicken comes up 5-10 secs after the browser windows says all is good.

I use chrome and it's up to date.

BTW, I have in just the last few days successfully added an citibank account, so I don't think you can blame antivirus, ad blockers, etc.

More info: I have 2 AmEx logins that align to 2 separate accounts in quicken. One of them is for "my" account which covers all transactions on all family member cards. The one - the one that fails is a distinct log in for just one family member's transactions (ie, a subset of the full account). The later is the one that is consistently failing.

I was just able to re-add my "main" amex account… it went all the way to the quicken window where my choice was "link to existing account".

The problem is with that 2nd AmEx login / account.

Does that additional clue help?

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This sounds like my issue. My "main" card reauthorized successfully. My 2 additional cardmember accounts do not.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

Since you mentioned the problem is happening when you're trying to add/reconnect accounts that are under a different User ID with American Express, I would recommend you try using the American Express - Delegate connection.

To do that, please backup your Quicken file. Then, go to Tools>Add Account, search American Express, select American Express - Delegate, and follow the prompts.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

Good news! That worked. Actually failed the 1st attempt but immediately tried again. Unfortunately can't remember if on that 2nd try I did it from the Tools/Add Acct menu or from within the account's Edit Account Details / Online Services tab but should be all good now.

BTW… alphabetizing the list would be helpful…

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear that it's finally working.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach back out.

Quicken Kristina

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That worked for me. I was able to get two additional cardmember accounts to finally reauthorize. The first download added a bogus Starting Balance transaction dated way, way in the past that threw off the balance, but they were easy to spot and delete.

Sigh. First: The choice of "American Express - Delegate" isn't at all obvious. Second: while it works, the additional card member accounts use EWC, not EWC+ like my main card does. Is this really the "correct" fix?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @jtemplin,

I'm glad to hear that worked for you. That is the correct fix; we reported the issue back in March, when the issue was first discovered. The response we received was that the financial institution said to use American Express - Delegate for any additional American Express Login IDs that need to be connected in Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.