How do I split a quicken file to separate business from personal into 2 files?

Options

I am using Quicken Classic Business and Personal on Windows. Version R53.16 Build 27.1.53.16

I am selling my business and would like to give them the quicken data attached to the business. How do I split my quicken file so they receive only the business and not my personal data? And then how do I disconnect that file from my account? Any help would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

How badly intermingled are the two? Have you used separate categories and tags? Have you used separate accounts?

You might have to create a duplicate QDF file and then start editing … but in doing so be careful that you don't delete the personal side of any transfers that are business

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you do go to create a duplicate data file to use as a separate data file, be sure to use:

File → Copy or Backup → Create a copy template.

DO NOT just use a regular Windows File Explorer copy. Failure to do this will end up with two different files connected to the same Quicken Cloud dataset, and most likely "Sync/data corruption" problems.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I agree with @Chris_QPW's suggestion. Adding on to what he posted:

• The copy file will have all online services setups for all accounts deactivated. This is good because you will not want to give the new owner anything with your logins information in it. So, use this copied file for deleting personal accounts. You might also need to, as @NotACPA mentioned, edit transactions that are linked between your personal accounts and business accounts. For instance you might need to categorize current transfers between business and personal accounts.
    • The original file you should keep for yourself. You can delete your business accounts/data if you wish but you might want to retain it for your records. That might come in handy should the new owner of the business have questions for you regarding the business accounts and transactions. When the time is appropriate you can close the business accounts and keep them as Separate accounts so they will not clutter up your personal financial data in reports and planning tools.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

TL;DR:

1. File → Copy or Backup → Create a copy
    2. Delete personal accounts from new copy, amending transfers across the personal/business boundary as needed.
    3. File → Copy or Backup → Create a copy — yes, again! This will actually delete the accounts which were only marked deleted in step 2 and should result in a smaller data file.
    4. Give the new business owners that latest copy.

So follow the guidelines provided by the superusers above, but do perform the 2nd copy operation.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.