TD Bank connection not downloading transactions

Options
JoeL.
JoeL. Member ✭✭

Has anyone else been having issue for the past week or so downloading transactions from TD Bank? For a few days, I was getting an error with the connection, then the error stopped happening, but now whenever I trigger a download, there are no transactions getting downloaded.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @JoeL.,

To start with, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• marpam
    marpam Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I am having the exact same problem.

On a side note, I have been a TD Bank customer ever since they bought Commerce Bank in 2007 and it has by far been the slowest, most unreliable, and problem-plagued Quicken connection for me. It still barfs on an ampersand in a payee name in Online BillPay even though I reported it to the TD Bank IT department 5 years ago.

• marpam
    marpam Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja

I just now (Nov 25, 6:43pm EST) followed your recommended procedure. Result is the same: no transactions downloaded.

• JoeL.
    JoeL. Member ✭✭
    Options

https://community.quicken.com/profile/Quicken%20Anja I tried the steps you outlined in your response, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue. My TD Bank transactions are still not getting downloaded.

https://community.quicken.com/profile/marpam Thanks for your additional feedback and results of trying the suggested steps.

• JoeL.
    JoeL. Member ✭✭
    Options

Another followup: I've also tried to deactivate my connection with TD Bank for this account. Then I went through the steps to add the connection again from scratch. When I did the download, again, there were no transactions downloaded.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

If you haven't done so already, I recommend following the troubleshooting steps in this article on when there are missing transactions or transactions won't download.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• marpam
    marpam Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

The troubleshooting steps in the article did not yield a solution unfortunately.

As a former software engineer who has written server side applications that interface to financial institutions, the most efficient way to solve this problem is for a Quicken engineer to contact their counterpart at TD Bank and run a diagnostic test suite. You must have that capability, right?

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's not that simple with Quicken. The connection to the financial institution is made by Quicken's outsourced aggregator, Intuit, not Quicken itself. Furthermore, for reasons that have never been explained or disclosed Quicken seems to have difficulty testing bank connections. In fact, it is not entirely clear what technology enablement is required on the side of the financial institutions. At one time, Quicken's connection merely scraped the online banking page and parsed the data. Anytime I've run into issue like this, it has appeared that Quicken has very little ability to work collaboratively with the financial institutions - at least this has been the case for all Canadian FIs where the download method is either web connect or express web connect.

One thing that I recommend those of you who are experiencing this issue should try is to create a brand new Quicken file - as a test file - and try establishing the Express Web Connect connection in that test file. What happens in the test file and is the behaviour in the test file different from your main file.

• marpam
    marpam Member ✭✭
    Options

I just spent about 40 minutes today (Dec 4) on the phone with an excellent Quicken customer service rep. Using Quicken's built-in screen share (Help → Contact Support → Share Screen) he walked me through a series of steps to fix this problem.

In a nutshell, the Direct Connect method to TD Bank is currently broken, so we deactivated it, and re-activated online banking manually using the older Web Connect method. We also did a file validation in between.

Now my transactions download normally.

• JoeL.
    JoeL. Member ✭✭
    Options

https://community.quicken.com/profile/marpam Thanks for the update. I too was on the phone with support and deactivated, reactivated, etc. and we never got to the conclusion that the TD Direct Connection was broken, so thanks for sharing that. Downloading the transactions directly from the TD Bank website does still work (I think that is what your referred to as Web Connect), so that's what I'm resorting to in the meantime as well.

I wish there were clearer communication from Quicken, and even within their Customer Support organization regarding whether there is a known breakage in the bank connections. It would save all of us and them a whole lot of wasted time.

(As a side note, during my support call we did a super validate and I later noticed a bunch of my paycheck transactions have been screwed up…but that's another story for which I've seen many, many complaints about online…so I need to figure out an approach to fix those :-( ).

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Do you mean Express Web Connect? Direct Connect is not supported for the Canadian version of Quicken for Windows and Direct Connect is not supported for any Canadian financial institution. If you are facing a Direct Connect issue you must be using the US version of Quicken with a US financial institution.

The two download methods supported for Quicken for Windows in Canada are (i) Web Connect; and (ii) Express Web Connect.

• JoeL.
    JoeL. Member ✭✭
    Options

To clarify my previous response, in my case I was originally using "Express Web Connect" (this is the one that stopped working). Now I am using "Web Connect" (i.e. go to bank's website and click their download button, then Quicken interactively takes the data and imports it).

• marpam
    marpam Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I am a US-based user and using Quicken Classic for Windows. I did not realize that there is a Canadian version of Quicken, and that it would differ so significantly.

I also just double checked the Quicken Online Setup for my TD Bank checking account and I see this:

Financial Institution: TD Bank Web Connect Connection Method: Express Web Connect

I apologize for any confusion I might have caused.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

@marpam You have posted in the forum for "All things Canadian", which is literally for all things Canadian - the Canadian version of Quicken and Canadian financial institutions. If you are using the US version of Quicken and dealing with the US subsidiary of TD Bank then you should post in the forum for downloading issues for Quicken for Windows.

• marpam
    marpam Member ✭✭
    Options

My initial search for my issue led me to @JoeL.'s original post here because the problem he was having was exactly the same as mine including when it started happening. At that point I was happy to see that someone else was experiencing this problem and I didn't notice the Canadian category in which it was posted. And it turns out the solution is the same for him and me and I think we both benefited from the discussion thread here.

That being said I agree with your point and I'll be more cognizant of where I post on this site in the future.

• cgruchy
    cgruchy Canada Beta Beta
    Options

I'm having the same problem for the past week. I have done super validations, reset the account several times and still no transactions are downloading. There are no error messages. Quicken connects to TD Bank and goes through the 2-factor authentication process without issue. At the end of the reset the screen says that transactions have been downloaded for the past 3,684 days. None of the past week's transactions have downloaded. The online balance is correct, so it downloads the current account balance OK. There is an error in the API that needs to be fixed. Other users are having the same issue. So why isn't it posted on the home page as a known issue? Why make every client go through gyrations like account resets, deactivations/deactivations and validations when the answer should be, "it's a known issue and we are working on a solution.'?

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Could every one who is posting on this site clearly identify whether they are referencing the Canadian TD Bank or the USA TD Bank and also clearly indicate whether they are using the Canadian Version of Quicken Classic for Windows or the USA version of Quicken Classic for Windows.

• GreigH
    GreigH Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem (Quicken Subscription Canada). Last transaction I got was November 30. No indication of errors.

But here's an interesting wrinkle: I also use Wave Accounting for a business. It is also not getting downloads from TD (last transaction downloaded was December 1). So, the common element is TD.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I encourage everyone who is experiencing this issue to use the Report a Problem feature that is found under the Help menu. Using this process and including your log files provides Quicken with the information needed to troubleshoot the problem. It is good to post here, but when the problem is affecting multiple users it is especially important to use the Report a Problem feature. Unfortunately, there is no feedback/response loop for the Report a Problem feature; however, it does seem - at some pace - to lead to problem resolution in many cases.

• cgruchy
    cgruchy Canada Beta Beta
    Options

December 22, 2022. TD Bank Canada transactions downloaded this morning, but the online balance is as of December 14. So now we have gone from:

1. Incorrect online balance (balance changes only once per month on the day after statement cutoff) WITH transactions to
    2. Correct online balance (as of download date) WITHOUT transactions, and back to
    3. Incorrect online balance WITH transactions.

I'd rather have incorrect online balance WITH transactions, but why can't I have both? Condition #1 was the norm for a year or two, and I got used to it. But it is impossible to auto-reconcile the account in Quicken to the online balance if the account is Express Web Connect. Whatever TD Bank Canada did recently to correct the online balance in the data file should be redone and they should not mess with the transactions when they fix it as now they are coming in OK.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation. When submitting logs, please include the names of the affected accounts, as they show in Quicken, at least 3 sample transactions that are posted on the financial institution side, but not downloaded into Quicken, and a screenshot showing those sample transactions on the financial institution website.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

Please be aware that if you connect using the TD Canada Trust connection, then this is already a known issue that is being worked on. You can track the issue with TD Canada Trust by bookmarking this Community Alert.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

• Chappy
    Chappy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Make sure you do backups before you change anything in quickens. I added a new account and quicken decided to do a data  synchronize, which I had turned off. Days later I see my budget # are all wrong so the  synchronize took online cloud data and messed it all up :( . That's ok I thought, I did a restore from 4 days previous, thought it was all good but I performed a web express with TD and what a mess. It downloaded transaction to the wrong accounts. Did another restore & performed a manual web connect seems ok now. I would defiantly do backup's, between quickens & TD things are really messed up :(

This discussion has been closed.