How to disable Auto-Entry of Reminders?

Options

Unwanted Transaction: Reminder Transactions are being auto-entered into my Regester 1 week before the due date even though I have disabled the reminder option. This is throwing my register balances off. I have set the “Automatically enter the transaction in the register [n] days before the due date” to 0 to no avail.

Best Answer

• samg
    samg Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

With a palm slap to the forehead, I solved my dilemma:

The drop-down menu from the little clock (that I have always ignored) had “Next 7 Days” enabled. Selecting “Don’t show reminders” made all those annoying auto-enters disappear.

Thank you all for the help!

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

If you don't want a reminder to be automatically entered, you need to set it to "Remind me [xx] days in advance".

Go into Edit the reminder and, under Optional Settings click "(change)" to change "Auto enter …" to "Remind me …"

• samg
    samg Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I have this set at "0" days and it still auto-entering 1 week ahead.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    I need to see what you're looking at, to determine what the problem is.
    How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• samg
    samg Member ✭✭
    Options

This transaction appeared on 11/28/24. It is from a reminder that I had set to “0 days before…”, yet one week before the reminder, it was automatically added to my register. When I right-click on the transaction, I get the popup shown.

This (unintended auto-entry of reminders) seems to have started after two releases ago.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried changing the reminder, "this instance and all future instances" and then clicking the Radio button in front of "Remind me [xx] days in advance"? Use a number of days greater than zero. This will turn off "Auto enter".

• samg
    samg Member ✭✭
    Options

Sorry for the delay, UKR. Yes, I have cycled through the choices multiple times. I've entered "this instance and all future instances" and set "Remind me" to 3 days. The entry still auto-adds one week in advance. These images show two identical reminders, yet the image for Connie is not auto-entered, and the image for Sam is auto-entered one week in advance.

• samg
    samg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

If it helps, after over 20 years of using Quicken's reminders, it seems that this became a problem only after the rebranding to Quicken Classic.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and request help. Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• samg
    samg Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

With a palm slap to the forehead, I solved my dilemma:

The drop-down menu from the little clock (that I have always ignored) had “Next 7 Days” enabled. Selecting “Don’t show reminders” made all those annoying auto-enters disappear.

Thank you all for the help!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for responding.
    What you call "annoying auto-enters" in your register is a feature that has existed for several years already. Think of it as "Show future reminders in your register as if they were real register transactions already".

The Status column in the register (the left-most column, titled with a blue dot) will show an icon (or, if wide enough, an icon and text) to give you transaction status. Clicking the icon will give you a popup with actions you can do for this reminder: Enter, Edit, Skip, etc.

And, no, you still have to manually record a reminder if it's set to "Remind me [xx] days in advance". It won't auto-enter.
    IMHO, [xx] should always be set to a value greater than zero, to give you advance notice about the reminder coming due soon, without having to fish for it in other views.

This discussion has been closed.