Quicken Canada - Speed Issues

Options
LostCanuck
LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Ever since upgrading to Quicken Classic, the program has been extremely slow when entering transactions, reconciling etc. This has been the case for the past 2 or 3 updates at least. I'm currently on Version R53.17, build 27.1.53.17, Canada Edition

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Cheers,

Randy

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

What you would have to do is include the newly created archive account in the report, so that all the information is included in the net worth over time report.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @LostCanuck,

To start troubleshooting this issue, since you mentioned the issue started after an upgrade, I'd recommend that you backup your Quicken file, then uninstall and reinstall Quicken.

If the issue persists after that, I'd recommend following the steps in this article on Quicken performance troubleshooting.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problem. Quicken Kristina - your suggestion is a lot of work. Maybe quicken needs to look at the problem?

Update 1 hour later… I uninstalled Quicken and tried to reinstall it. Reinstall finished but the program will not open. It's just a white frame of death with a faded hint of the command bar at the top.

What next Quicken Kristina?

Update 2 hours later … I could not open Quicken so uninstalled, rebooted my computer and reinstalled. I was unable to reinstall. I got an install failure message with a log from the attempted Quicken install. What a mess.

Now what Quicken Kristina? I cannot open Quicken at all.

Yet another update …. I uninstalled Quicken (again) and removed the quicken folder from my Program (x86) folder and then I was able to reinstall but the program will still not open after 20 minutes. I just get a white screen.

Why did I not wait the usual 4 weeks after a release before I install? I'm kicking myself now for being curious!

And so I called support. Spent 1 hour with them doing things. Nothing worked and the problem is not resolved. Quicken will no longer run on my computer. Hangs. Thank you Quicken Kristina.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW, I am not experiencing any new performance issues with the latest Canadian release. I say "new" because I am not happy with the slowness of the One Step Update Process, but that is not what @Diana and @LostCanuck are complaining about here. I want that process to run in a handful of seconds - on my uber fast PC with a fast internet connection, but, instead, it takes a few (3+) minutes to complete. The one other performance complaint is that if I leave Quicken open for a day, when I go to use it the next day it takes a few seconds before it is responsive… but, this is a once a day issue that is resolved in a few seconds.

If I needed to do it, I would be able to backup my (very large) Quicken file, uninstall Quicken, and reinstall Quicken in about 5 minutes of total time. That doesn't seem like a lot of work. There seems to be something going on with @Diana's PC that is unusual.

@Diana you might consider the following general fixes for Windows problems, including:

• Checkdisk /f
    • SFC /scannow
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Run a registry cleanup tool such as ccleaner
    • Use Windows Restore function to go back to a restore point before you installed the latest update to Quicken and uninstall Quicken before doing the update

Ultimately, you might need to Reset your Windows installation to get past this problem.

@LostCanuck have you tried running a file Validation in Quicken? What was the result?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare I hate to tell you, but One Step Update taking 2 or 3 minutes is the "new normal". The days of One Step Update taking a few seconds is gone.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

Yes, I figured that was the case. That doesn't change my view of this "normal" behaviour. And, that only validates all of what I said and suggested in my comments directed to those having the issues described in this thread. Those major performance issues are not being encountered by all users on this version. I did not experience ANY performance impact as a result of upgrading to the latest release. My performance complaints are complaints with the "normal" behaviour of the product and are not specific to the latest or even the last few releases.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, totally agree with everything you said.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

An interesting take away from this discussion is that one can't make every computer task complete instantaneously even with a very high performance PC and very fast internet connection (even though that is my desire). Some process are bottlenecked by things we can't speed up ourself, such as server processing speed. No PC or internet upgrade can overcome that bottleneck.

• LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank everyone for the feedback and ideas.

@Arctic Hare , yes I have done a "validation" and a "super validation" without any change.

I've noticed lately, if I try entering memorized repeat transactions from "home>dashboard", they are extremely slow to process. Transactions entered from "home>my money" are much quicker.

The bigger issue I'm having are doing portfolio transactions.

I think I have an older version of Quicken on my laptop. I will try have R48.15 installed on my laptop. I will try and see if this older version is any better.

Thanks again

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note that if one suspects that it is in fact a bug in the program release (quite rare) you can go back to a previous version by installing the old patch from here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has-1

I might add though when people ask about performance problems, the first thing I ask is if it is in an investment account. Quicken's handling of investment transactions in the investment register is far from ideal. It is one of the first places people will complain about performance issues, especially if they have "a lot" of transactions/security lots/securities. Because Quicken only loads in a given account when you go to access it (and the caches in memory for the rest of the session) one workaround is to use the "archive" function on the gear menu, which transfers closed securities to another account.

Signature:
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    Options

thanks @Chris_QPW. If you use the "archive" function, will it remove the value of the transaction from the register? I use the networth report to track year-over-year growth of my portfoilio. Would archiving, as you suggest, loose data in the previous years?

BTW, I use your "importQIF" for importing non-Canada accounts i.e. American Express and it works great. Thanks for the tool

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

What you would have to do is include the newly created archive account in the report, so that all the information is included in the net worth over time report.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

@LostCanuck one other thing that is a bit of a long shot, but worth a try is to use the File —> Backup or Copy File —> Create a Copy or Template function to create a copy of your data file. This works a bit like validation in that it sometimes fixes corruption not fixed by the actual validation routines - in the newly created copy. I'm certainly not promising this will solve your problem, but I would give it a try.

Another thing you could try is making an archive copy of your file that doesn't contain the full history. Let's say you have 15 years of history in your Quicken file. If you use this process to create a copy that has only five years, how does that impact performance?

There are several thing you could do to potentially isolate the problem… it depends on how much time you are willing to invest. I've had to invest a ton of time to isolate a couple of really difficult problems in the past, which, with much effort, ultimately led to Quicken fixing the bugs. I'll keep my fingers crossed now as presently things are running pretty smooth for me.

• LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot. I have lots to try now (one at a time).

• Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just a quick update for @Arctic Hare . Thanks for the suggestions.

I did manage to get myself up and running with the previous version of Quicken. I did not have to do anything as reinstall windows (thank goodness).

The real issue (I think?) was caused by me keeping my main Quicken file on a USB stick. (Backups were always on the hard drive). I've been doing it for years now. But this newest version of Quicken does not seem to like it. Easy thing to fix. The hard part was cleaning up the mess I made trying to get it to install and uninstall. Seems to be working well on the R53.16 version now. I'll wait a few weeks before upgrading just in case.

This discussion has been closed.