some tax line items not being pulled into tax planner

Options
Momkat
Momkat Member

I am doing an end-of-year run tax planner with my new business in Quicken Classic Premiere and it doesn't seem to pull in the income or a couple of expenses lines and the totals are wrong. I double checked the tax line item to make sure its linked. Confused.

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Momkat,

To help troubleshoot, could you please provide more information? Could you please clarify what you mean when you say it didn't pull in the income or a couple of the expense lines? Are you referring to transactions that aren't reflecting, or are you referring to something else?

If it is specific transactions that aren't reflecting (when they should be), then I'd recommend checking those transactions to make sure they have the correct category assigned (sometimes categories can have very similar names, but only one has the tax line item associated with it). To do that, you can click on the Category column for that transaction, then click on the icon to get a category window to appear.

Click the Show Full List button and it will pull up your Category List. Find the correct category with the tax line item associated with it.

Double click and it should fill that in for the category on that transaction. Save the transaction and test to see if it now shows up in the tax planner.

If that does not correct the issue, please provide more information about what is happening. Screenshots of the issue (with personal information blurred or obscured) would also help. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Momkat,

To help troubleshoot, could you please provide more information? Could you please clarify what you mean when you say it didn't pull in the income or a couple of the expense lines? Are you referring to transactions that aren't reflecting, or are you referring to something else?

If it is specific transactions that aren't reflecting (when they should be), then I'd recommend checking those transactions to make sure they have the correct category assigned (sometimes categories can have very similar names, but only one has the tax line item associated with it). To do that, you can click on the Category column for that transaction, then click on the icon to get a category window to appear.

Click the Show Full List button and it will pull up your Category List. Find the correct category with the tax line item associated with it.

Double click and it should fill that in for the category on that transaction. Save the transaction and test to see if it now shows up in the tax planner.

If that does not correct the issue, please provide more information about what is happening. Screenshots of the issue (with personal information blurred or obscured) would also help. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

• Momkat
    Momkat Member
    Options

Kristina,

Thank you for the detailed help message. I went through the transactions and was able to get them to show up correctly in the tax planner. Could you explain why when I edit a category in the category list to be what I want, I still had to go into each transaction and do it again?

I do appreciate the quickness of the help. Do you suggest I stay with the Quicken classic premiere or switch to the business and personal version?

Cheers,

Marybeth

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear categorizing the transactions corrected the issue.

To answer your question, editing the category should update all the transactions assigned to that category. However, since some categories have similar names, the issue may have been that the categories you originally edited wasn't associated with those transactions. One way to ensure you're editing the correct category in the Category List is to enable the Usage column. To do that, click the settings gear near the upper right corner of the Category List window and make sure Usage is checked. That will allow you to see a column showing the number of transactions assigned to that category.

The number in that column is blue because it is a clickable link. When you click on it, you'll get a mini transaction usage screen.

If you need to further confirm the transactions, you can click the Full Report button to see a transaction report.

To answer your question about whether you need to upgrade, I would need more information. Are there features you're wanting that are not available in Quicken Premier? For instance, are you needing to set up Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable, or wanting to track rental properties?

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Momkat
    Momkat Member
    Options

Kristina,

You are a jewel! That usage column should help a lot.

I don't need to accounts payable or receivable, just basic income and expenses for small business. Are there any books you would recommend for using Quicken Classic Premiere for business use in addition to the personal finances? The Quicken online help has never really helped for complex questions or maybe I don't phrase correctly!

Again, thank you!

Marybeth

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm not aware of any books on that specific topic. For more complicated questions, the Community is a good resource. Depending on the question, searching the Community may pull up discussions where others had the same or similar questions. If you can't find the answer with a search, then asking the question in a new discussion can often get answers from other users or one of the handful of Community Moderators. For simpler, How-To type questions, Quicken's YouTube channel may also be useful.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.