Need to update from 2007 quicken on mac, high sierra....

Options
lar9
lar9 Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Before you Buy

Hi All, Advice please. I use a 2012 Macbook pro with 2007 quicken, but bought a new macbook pro 2021 with a current system. 1) I am not a fan of subscriptions. 2) I need to be able to export my data. Thinking there may be a way to leapfrog versions. Can you recommend a more updated quicken that will work on the Mac book 2012 that I could export to, and then one that I could export to after that for use on the new machine? Again, Ideally, I would really like to stay away from subscriptions. Thank you for your thoughts !

Answers

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QMac is only subscription based. After your subscription lapses, you can use it by not renewing. The price is that you will not be able to use any connected or downloading services, and about 20-25% of your screen will be taken up with Quicken reminders to renew (you can always try to hide those parts with overlapping windows).

(QWin version :

NOTE: If you buy the Starter version, your data will also become read-only after your subscription lapses, so if you plan to let it lapse, it is recommended to buy at least the Deluxe version or higher, which will retain full functionality.

Your data can migrate directly from QM2007 to the new QMac. No need to export. Note however that once you migrate to the new QMac, you will only be able to export to other Quicken products but not to other products, since there is no support for QIF export file format.

Since your new Macbook Pro 2021 uses a M1 chip, you can no longer run QM2007 on it. Though not for every one, if you are willing to acquire an older Intel-based Mackbook, you can run QM2007 in a virtual machine.

(see this for more information: Running QM2007 in a Virtual Machine )

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    1. No one is a fan of subscriptions, except the companies which develop software. 🤣 They're a (sometimes) necessary evil to support, extend, modernize, improve software products we want to continue using.
    2. The current Quicken Mac will import your Quicken 2007 data file pretty smoothly and allow you to move forward. But that means buying a subscription.

There are other options, but they aren't optimal…

a) You could buy the current Quicken Mac, use the subscription for one year, and let it expire. You can continue using the software indefinitely with manual entry of your data — BUT Quicken will capture the right quarter of your Quicken screen for a permanent message about renewing. If you don't mind more horizontal scrolling (or have a large monitor), you might find this workable. Most people find it annoying. Which, of course is their intent — the drive users to just pay the annual fee to avoid the annoyance.

b) The last version of modern Quicken Mac prior to subscriptions was Quicken 2017. IT also would import your Quicken 2007 data. BUT you would have to find someone selling a copy on a CD… and then there's a very good chance it won't work, because I'm pretty sure it won't be able to authenticate/log into Quicken's servers which have changed since then. And there have also been a lot of improvements to the program over the past 6 years that, to me, make the current product much more desirable than Quicken 2017.

c) You could jump through some hoops to continue to run Quicken 2007 on your new Mac. You'd need to install virtual machine software, then install an older macOS like Mojave in the virtual machine, then move your Quicken application and data file to the VM. The best VM software is Parallels, but then you're paying for it and paying in the future for updates to keep it running as Apple updates macOS. The other VM option is VMWare Fusion, which is available for free for personal users. I know some Quicken users who use it because they depend on particular functionality in Quicken 2007 which they can't replicate in current Quicken Mac. But you're still dealing with the added complexity of downloading and installing the VM software and the old macOS in the VM — and you're continuing to run Quicken 2007, which for all of it's great points, is also running a database which has known quirks and periodic data corruption

So in the end, my advice is that if you value your existing data from Quicken 2007 and you want to continue using Quicken going forward, you may want to swallow your distaste for subscriptions and pay the $5/month to move to the current Quicken Mac. (And there are currently lots of sales around from either Quicken.com or retailers like NewEgg and BestBuy which can bring down the price for at least your first year.) Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I think it's the best approach.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.