Issues with reports displaying income in red vice black...

Options
JGMBadChild
JGMBadChild Member
edited January 6 in Reports (Windows)

I have a net income report which is showing income in red. I have confirmed those categories are set as "income".

Anyone have the same issue or know why this is happening?

?

Tagged:

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They're RED because they're all negative numbers … which suggests that you're inputting the numbers incorrectly.

Can you show us one of the actual transactions, in your banking account, for these transactions.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe you are entering the salary income in the Payment column of your register?

Banking registers have 3 columns for the amount - Payment, Deposit, and Amount. If you use Payment and Deposit, you would put expenses in the Payment column as positive numbers and income in the Deposit column, also as a positive number. If you use the Amount column instead, income is positive (black) and expenses are negative (red).

It is somewhat confusing because in credit card accounts, the columns are Charge, Payment and Amount. Expenses charged to the card go in the Charge column, and Payments or refunds go in the Payment column. Charges are negative in the Amount column and payments are positive.

QWin Premier subscription
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And are you only entering the NET PAY for the paycheck? What about the gross and deductions? You should not be entering the net except for the deposit amount and which is split into Gross Salary and Deductions. The deductions will be minus signs.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are in Canada, That may make a difference how to enter paychecks.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• JGMBadChild
    Options

Hello all,

Thanks for all the feedback.

Further notes. I do only enter the net amount. These are entered into Quicken using the downloaded data from my financial institution. They do correctly get recorded as a deposit and not a payment. In all the other reports my income is displayed in black and expenses in red. I'm guessing it could be just the report formatting?

Cheers,

JG

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"I'm guessing it could be just the report formatting?"

I wouldn't expect that to be the case as it looks like you've got the Category properly set up. If you're using "automatic entry" turned on, maybe you could turn that off, then take a screen shot of the next net salary download as it's shown in the Downloaded Transactions area?

If you delete one of these transactions and enter it manually, do you get the same results?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks to me as if you have based this report on a Spending by Category report, customized to include Income categories.
    This report displays all expenses as black numbers and all income in red numbers (because it's a Spending report and income is a "negative expense").

To get correct looking results, try a Cash Flow report and customize it to only include your desired Net Salary … categories.

If you're puzzled about the appearance of the "Other Net Salary - …" subcategories under the parent categories "Net Salary - …", I'm guessing that you categorize the incoming paycheck deposit transactions to the parent category "Net Salary - …".

Your categories have subcategories associated with them. Budget and related reports need to break out transaction amounts categorized to the parent category "Net Salary - …" to a virtual "Other Net Salary - …" subcategory so that rollup totals from the subcategories to the parent category display a correct sum total of all subs plus the amounts in the parent category. If they don't do that, everybody would cry "Quicken can't add numbers correctly".
    IMHO, you should rethink your category structure and categorize the transactions to one of the subcategories or get rid of the subcategories if they're no longer needed.

This discussion has been closed.