10 years of Credit Card payment history that suddenly disappeared

Options
Robert Sheran
Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭

Quicken Classic: R53.16 : 27.1.53.16

Following my standard workflow One Step Update, I noticed that (1 out of 4) of my credit card acct with Bank of America. Suddenly had a balance due of $310,456 which is not even close to the actual balance due on the card. I perform updates daily and have never seen this radical change to the registry balance data before. What I discovered is that all of the Payment history was missing in the CC Register and the payments made from the Quicken Checking Acct. are still in the Checking acct register with correct category transfer to the CC acct. for some reason Quicken is not registering transfers between these two specific accts. Other accts. not affected. We are talking about 10 years of Credit Card payment history that suddenly disappeared. Re-starting Quicken did not resolve. Attempts to re-apply transfer category to payments in Checking acct. fails to post payments in the Credit Card Acct. :(

Comments

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Options

update, Clitch in acct transfer between Checking and Credit Card Register was corrected by removing Category Acct Transfer entry to one payment in Checking and then reapply the acct transfer category. This one move, corrected the entire 10 year history of payments from Checking to Credit Card. Not sure what is going on with Quicken

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Robert Sheran,

Are you still experiencing issues with your Credit Card history? Could you provide some more information as to what was occurring before this issue began?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry for delay in response, this issue as not repeated. probably related to Quick Connect OFX update issue with Boeing Employee Credit Union. Probably related to months of daily uploading OFX files related to multiple BECU banking accounts and importing the OFX files to Quicken. Suspect OFX import of Checking transaction failed to include transfer category to the Quicken Credit Card Registry. Anyway the issue has been corrected and not repeatable. Feel free to close this case.

• Bill40
    Bill40 Member ✭✭
    Options

I to had a very similar problem. It also was related to a Bank of America Credit card and Bank account.

I reconciled my bank account every month, but all of the sudden it is out of balance with the bank. I went back years and it was still off the same amount each month I looked at. Really weird ! I finally had to adjust the balance in Quicken to agree with the bank.

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    Options

I had the problem and I do not use the bank or credit card data loading into my accounts but manually enter the data. It was with my Chase Bank/Whole Foods Amazon credit card only. It happened right after the Quicken update was attempted without my approval, which will never go through for some reason, so I enter No to allowing any updates. This is a big deal. Why should I pay for a garbage program?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bill40 Since it was off by the same amount every month … that suggests that the Opening Balance in the account got changed … which can happen when you reconnect the account or change download methods.

Try restoring a backup from a while back (but don't allow this to overwrite your current file) and see what the Opening Balance in the account should be … then see if it needs correcting in your "production file".

As an aid for future instances of this problem, go thru and store the correct opening Balance for each transaction in the memo field of the 1st transaction in each account. THEN, if the OB gets screwed up again, it will be easy to identify and correct.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    Options

PS. The credits (payments) from the bank disappeared from the credit card, but stayed on the bank registry. I cannot find them going anywhere else.

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    Options

How do I restore an old backup without losing data since then (overwriting current file)?

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    Options

Not due to opening balance. Problem begins from beginning of the credit card in 2021, which was fine until today.

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    Options

And the balance reflects all those payments in the net amount in the Accounts list to the left, but not in the credit card register.

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    Options

I just tried to enter another payment in the credit card register, and it enters on the bank from which the money comes, but not on the register.

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Elsewhere in the Community, I saw a closed discussion that said it was impossible for a transaction to change on one register, and not the other. Well, that is not true [Edited - Language]. It has done that to me.

[Edited - Readability]

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    Options

I also can no longer use the affected credit card register. It appears to not accept entries for payments. It does for charges. The credit payments are reflected on the total for Accounts tot he left of the register, but not on the register. And I cannot find those payment entries to change them. This Quicken program - I can no longer recommend it. I may have to switch to another product when this renews next month.

How do I call Quicken support or to cancel my subscription?

• Bruce Http
    Bruce Http Member ✭✭
    Options

I fixed it by downloading the latest update. It won't do it from Quicken (not sure why); I have to do it with a downloaded patch. Most of the benefit of the updates, I thought was to update connections to financial institutions (which I don't use), but it seems the updates also fix Quicken's screw-ups.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is the category on the payment in the checking account? Sounds like that got changed. It should be a transfer to the credit card account in square brackets like [VISA]. Not to a credit card category.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• r.e.dumaine
    r.e.dumaine Member
    Options

I too now have had many years (probably 20) of Chase credit card transactions disappear. But only from one Chase account. I have two Chase credit cards, a savings and a checking account. Only the one credit card was disrupted. The credit union account that I pay the credit card with still balances. But obviously I can't balance the disrupted credit card, which is used multiple times per week and I also NEED my history!

I have tried all of the "fixes" other than restoring an older backup version. I am very frustrated by this. Also, because Chase keeps duplicating downloaded transactions to BOTH the credit card accounts now.

Considering finally dumping Quicken — after using it for personal and my self-employment accounting since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.