Wells Fargo connection update corrupts update list. How to repair this?

Options

Windows Version R53.16

Because this issue is complex to describe well, I have attached a PDF document detailing what happened (with screen shots) and what the current symptoms are now. Here is a summary of what appeared to happen.

1. As instructed by Quicken's update window I attempted to update the Wells Fargo connection.
  2. At the Add Account window, Quicken showed the correct account, but also showed a "Nickname in Quicken" value that was a different credit card account for a different company (Best Buy)!
  3. I proceeded to allowing linking to the correct account with the unexpected nickname.
  4. During the subsequent update procedure, account records were added, not to Wells Fargo credit card account, but to the Best Buy credit card account, to what I'll call the "reconciliation list."
  5. I deleted those since they were already in the correct Wells Fargo credit card account.
  6. When I then examined the Update account list, the Best Buy account was apparently replaced by a new and additional Wells Fargo account called "Wells Fargo Bank (Den DiMarco)
  7. The correct Wells Fargo credit card account is still listed as well.
  8. On the Quicken "main screen", in the All Transactions column, the correct accounts are shown.
  9. If I try to update again, I again see the Wells Fargo connection update requirement message.

I hope the attachment helps clarify any questions you may have, but of course I'll look for questions from you.

Thank you!

[PDF Edited for Privacy]

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are still getting the reauthorization because you did not set up your WF accounts with EWC+. Instead, you changed a Best Buy account and you set up a new WF account with EWC+ but the original WF account is still intact and unchanged with EWC so Quicken is reminding you to reauthorize to EWC+ for that account.

I suggest you restore a backup file from shortly before when you tried to do the reauthorization. Then:

1. For your WF account, go to the Opening Balance transaction and enter/save the dollar amount of the transaction into the Memo field. (This is not critical to the reauthorization process but it is a proactive step that can greatly ease some account balance issues should the reauthorizaton process not go smoothly.)
    2. Back up the data file.
    3. Start the reauthorization process, again.
    4. When account data is downloaded into Quicken do not simply accept it. When you do that you can get the Best Buy and new WF account issues you experienced. Instead, carefully check each field carefully and correct each field as appropriate. (NOTE: If the Action is "Don't add to Quicken" and the Nickname in Quicken is wrong, changing the Nickname to the correct account nickname should unlock the Action drop-down allowing you to Link it to the existing account in Quicken.) Hopefully this picture file will help explain.:

Did this resolve the issue for you?

Does your WF account show it is in balance? Let me know if not and I can walk you through how to address that.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• DDM444
    DDM444 Member
    Options

Boatnmaniac, I agree with your assessment in the first paragraph as to what DID happen. Before I proceed with your suggestions, I wonder if you have any idea why Quicken would insert/display a "nickname" that was actually the name of another valid account.

Let's start with that and I thank you for your detailed reply!

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry but the only thing I can say about that is it appears to be a bug that has not yet been fixed. I do not believe Quicken "intentionally" does that but sometimes download mismatches do happen when making connection changes. It can and does sometime happen regardless of the financial institution and type of account. What I have observed is that when the issue does occur, the repeat of the process might not exhibit this problem at all or it might do some other type of mismatch.

Frustrating? Yes. Shouldn't happen? Definitely. Should it have been fixed by now? Well, I think that goes without saying.

FYI: I reauthorized my 2 WF accounts last night in 2 different data files. Both worked flawlessly for me. But then this morning I needed to reauthorize 4 US Bank accounts and 3 matched up correctly but 1 got matched to a BBVA checking account that I have not used for 2 yrs. Go figure. Just reinforces for me to VERY carefully review that popup before I accept what Quicken has suggested for matches. That can save a lot of troubleshooting headaches later.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @DDM444,

As @Boatnmaniac said, this is a bug. If you're wanting to look into the issue with accounts getting improperly linked further, then per the guidance in the Community Alert, I would recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you!

(Ticket #10468628)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DDM444
    DDM444 Member
    Options

Thank you, Kristina. Quicken did become unresponsive after I tried the restore process. I'm wondering if my 80 MB Qdata file may be too large. I'll try the number.

• DDM444
    DDM444 Member
    Options

Kristina, I called Quicken support and worked with a fabulous person, Amy, who addressed this issue and several other minor issues I had experienced. Wonderful tech support person!

Options

My Wells Fargo account does not show up on the home screen on the left-hand side under transactions.

The only place it shows up is in the "One Step Update Summary."

This discussion has been closed.