Connected support for AMEX Canada, WealthSimple Trade, and Questrade

Options
Jblaze
Jblaze Member

I recently just took another look at Quicken as a better way to keep track of all my investments and finances only to realize that there is a real lack of support for some of the biggest connected services I use. I previously used Mint and was able to have all my accounts connected. I don't see why a product like quicken does not offer support for AMEX Canada credit cards, WealthSimple trade and Questrade to name a few.

Paying for a subscription software that doesn't provide support for these features makes me want to get a refund before my trial is out.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Jblaze,

In order for a financial institution to support downloads to Quicken and to be added to our bank list, the request to be added would need to be made and submitted by the financial institution to our service providers. If you want Quicken to be supported, you will need to contact each financial institution directly and tell them you'd like to download your accounts into Quicken.

I hope this information serves to be useful to you! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken supports download of investment transactions from only a very small number of Canadian financial institutions. Putting this in practical terms, you will need to switch to using one of the few brokers that work with Quicken if it is important to you to download investment transactions.

While @Quicken Anja indicated you could contact your financial institutions and ask them to arrange for Quicken support, this has proven incredibly difficult for others who have tried this. This is theoretically and academically true and next to impossible in practice. It is virtually impossible to be able to speak/contact someone at financial institution that does support Quicken that will acknowledge they support Quicken. For example, I've been banking with RBC and BMO for decades, both have supported Quicken for decades, but the support folks at both banks will tell you that you are breaching your customer agreement if you use Quicken's Express Web Connect download method - which both banks support. The exception to this is financial institutions that support Quicken's Direct Connect download method, but Direct Connect is not available to Canadian users.

Put simply, if you want to use Quicken, you pretty much simply have to accept and work with what is supported because you will find it impossible to get any kind of support from a financial institution for Quicken downloads… at least that is my experience over the last 30 years of using Quicken.

• thbalb
    thbalb Member
    Options

IBKR Canada is not connectable, TD Webbroker is not connectable, Same for Questrade. I already requested my refund within couple hours of trying. Not sure why many (if at all) customers use this Quciken products in Canada!

Closing of Mint is terrible for Canadians as there are no stable platforms I could find!

• thbalb
    thbalb Member
    Options

Also noticed that TD Easyweb, showed incorrect credit card balance! Poor product overall!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Out of curiosity I looked at what is supported in Quicken Mac (which unlike Windows supports both US and Canadian financial institutions in the same program) and with the exception of Questrade seems to support all the ones listed above.

Recently I came to the conclusion that I have been wrong/mislead by the "Quicken Connect" in Quicken Mac actually is.

For the longest time in the forums and documentation Quicken Connect and Express Web Connect have been billed as "basically the same".

I no longer believe that to be the case. Intuit bought Mint just around the same time that they started the rewrite of Quicken Mac. It is pretty clear that they modeled a lot of it from Mint. Mint brought one thing to Intuit for sure, and that is yet another "connection type/aggregation". I it is now my belief that "Quicken Connect" is in fact the same connection type (but probably on different servers, and maybe the two have parted ways and are different now) but saying Quicken Connect and Express Web Connect are the same, seem to me like saying Direct Connect and Express Web Connect are the same because they both download transactions. Well, they are a bit closer than that since Direct Connect is directly connecting to the financial institution without an aggregator in between, and the others have an aggregator (Intuit, which Quicken Inc pays for this service).

Note that almost none (or none) of the Canadian financial institutions support Direct Connect/OFX standard.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

No (none, zip, zero) Canadian financial institutions support Direct Connect. TD Waterhouse does support download of investments via Web Connect (not by Express Web Connect).

I do use the Canadian Quicken to track my investments. It is 100% a manual entry process. Quicken does not support download of investment transactions from my brokers (RBC Direct Investing and CI Financial) in any format.

Yes, there is HUGE room for improvement with the support provided for downloading banking and investment transactions in the Canadian version of Quicken. Every time Quicken sends me a survey asking me what new functionality I want to have added to the Canadian Version of Quicken my answers is:

• fix the existing bugs in the application
    • improve support for downloading banking and investing transactions (i.e. Direct Connect and support for more financial institutions)
    • improve the marketing and general information about the Canadian product (Quicken often incorrectly describes the features of the Canadian version and the support people don't fully understand the differences between the US and Canadian versions). The marketing folks at Quicken do things like regularly send out Quicken Update eLetters that contain zero Canadian content and the USA content is not applicable to Canadians - wasting the time of every Canadian customer. In the world of Quicken, Canadians are very much second class customers.
    • don't add any new features until Quicken accomplishes the above

What does Quicken focus on based on "feedback"? Add new features….

This discussion has been closed.