Quicken Classic Mac 7.4 has been released!

Options
Quicken Bree
Quicken Bree Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta Beta

We have rolled out Quicken Classic Mac 7.4 to all users!

We have also released Quicken Classic Business & Personal for Mac.

You can get the latest Quicken build by clicking "Check for Updates" under the Quicken menu.

Thank you for your help and support.

Best Regards,
The Quicken for Mac Team

Please take a moment to review the summary and try the new features in the product. 

NEW Small Business Owners: We are releasing Quicken Mac Business & Personal so you can now keep track of your business and personal finances in one place. It allows you to manage one or more businesses and view your business data together or separately from your personal data. If you need to file Schedule C, E, or F, this product is for you!

Quicken Mac Business & Personal

Built for macOS 12+, requires macOS 11 or later

Business features require a Business & Personal subscription

• NEW Monitor the health of your business with the new Business Dashboard
  • NEW Analyze your business data with new reports such as Income Statement, Cashflow, and Profitability
  • NEW Easily track your mileage for tax deductions
  • NEW Stay organized with Estimated Quarterly Tax Payments calendar
  • IMPROVED Improved support for exporting business-related tax data to tax-filing software

Reports

• NEW Added EasyAnswer Transaction Report option to see total spending by Payee
  • IMPROVED Improved category filtering in Tax Reports

Dashboard

• IMPROVED Spending by Category Card now shows more categories

Other

• IMPROVED Subcategories with different parents can now be merged together
  • IMPROVED Redesigned Categories window and improved tax relationship management
  • IMPROVED eBills are once again available for Capital One customers
  • IMPROVED Improved auto-categorization of downloaded transactions

Future macOS requirements

• ANNOUNCEMENT 7.4 is the last release with support for macOS 10.15

7.4.1 Fixes

• FIXED Fixed a crash that could occur when opening a file
  • FIXED Fixed a crash that could occur when deleting an account

7.4.2 Fixes

• FIXED Bug fixes

Important note:
Quicken for Mac to end support for macOS Catalina (10.15) after v7.4

Thank you!

Quicken Bree

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I've been a little surprised at the priorities driving the Mac version recently. Of course it's great to see the continued investment, but the latest push towards business users while still ignoring some of the very best features of Quicken for Windows suggests your user-base on Mac is more interested in these features.

All of us in the Quicken user base have our own priorities, and they often don't align with each other. A large number of users on this site have been asking for a business version of Quicken Mac over the last 6-7 years — both current Quicken Mac users as well as Quicken Windows users who want to switch to Quicken Mac but need the business features.

The developers are always trying to weigh all the requests as they decide which features to tackle. When they implement Feature A, it doesn't mean they're ignoring Feature B; it means they decided to do A before B.

Is there any glimmer on the horizon that some/any of these features will make it to Mac?

There are a significant number of feature requests the developers have recently marked as "Planned", indicating some of the things they'll be working on in 2024. Many of them are in areas of budgeting and planning.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I assume the answer is still No, but does Quicken/Mac support the complete conversion of a QWin data file yet? For years migration from Windows has been impossible because certain investment transaction types on Windows were not supports - like SoldX and BoughtX. Any luck here?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Don Awalt I think the answer will always be no. More and more features will probably be supported, but just the fundamental differences between the two products will mean it will never be 100%. BTW I suspect that the "last thing done" will be adding XXX to the conversion. I fully expect it to lag behind, especially in the Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows direction.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    Options

@Don Awalt I don't have a Windows computer to test this on, but I thought SoldX/BoughtX transactions are properly handled by the Windows-to-Mac converter. I used to see this concern posted often, but I haven't seen many posts about it even though many thousands of Quicken users have migrated from Windows to the Mac version. Maybe many would-be Windows-to-Mac converters just gave up? 😂 Unfortunately, Quicken Mac Release Notes generally no longer include details about bugs fixed in each release, so there's nothing to note in the public documentation.

I found a previous thread where you posted about this and we exchanged notes back in early 2021. I do not know if they have made any changes to address this over the past 2+ years. Do you have a Mac where you can repeat your conversion test to see if the results are the same or different than they were at that time? I'd be happy to try to bring this to the attention of the current Quicken Mac product manager if you affirm that things still don't work properly.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On the SoldX/BoughtX it might not be these actual security actions, but instead these are used in maintaining the "Cash in checking account" setting in Quicken Windows (as in having a virtual checking account).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't have a version of Mac Quicken running anywhere, it wouldn't be a hard test to try. With the big mutual fund companies they are used all the time, so converting a file across to Mac, the dispcrepancies in multiple mutual fund balances over (for me) 20 years of transactions is staggering and rather impossible to track. As I recall, the conversion does something rather simplistic like change it to a Sold and drops the amount into the associated checking account, but I may be wrong.

• Adoce
    Adoce Member
    Options

I am always disappointed when there is an upgrade with Quicken Mac. I spend almost 1 week trying to trouble shoot because my Quicken constantly crashes, I lose 3 months worth of information. My quicken on my Mac is not able to restore data using backup. I pay my yearly subscription and I do not feel this subscription is worth the headache. After this latest update, I am considering cancelling my subscription and will just manually input my information using my pre-existing Quicken. I thought the first 2 upgrades were user error. After the latest update, I realize it is this program for non-business users who are being left out. I have had more crashes with the program.

• jacobs
    Options

Your experience is undeniable, but puzzling. I haven't experienced a single crash with version 7.4.x, and any crashing Quicken Mac has been extremely rare and infrequent for me over the years. I also haven't read of many other reports of crashes with this release, so I'm wondering if there is some issue with your comp[uting environment causing these problems. What version of macOS are you running? What model Mac is it (e.g. "Late 2018 iMac")?

I'm also puzzled by your statement that "my quicken on my Mac is not able to restore data using backup." Can you provide more information about this, please. Are you referring to the backups Quicken automatically generates when you quit Quicken? Why can't you use those backups? Do you have any other backups (like Apple TimeMachine or a cloud backup service like iDrive)? I'm a big proponent of every computer user having multiple layers of backup to prevent disasters. 😀

After the latest update, I realize it is this program for non-business users who are being left out.

While the big change in version 7.4 was the addition of business features, I feel your conclusion is incorrect. Subscribers to the Business & Professional version of the software will only ever be a small percentage of the overall user base; non-business users only received a few new features in versions 7.4, but the developers are not ignoring the vast majority of users. The developers have marked as "planned" a lot of features requests relating to budgets, financial planning, and other areas of the program unrelated to the business features.

• Tex22
    Tex22 Member ✭✭
    Options

Since the discussion above approaches this topic …. I'll go ahead and ask here….

Can someone point me to the latest documentation comparing the Mac and Windows versions?

I run a Windows VM on my Mac solely for Quicken, and would like to lay this down. I participated in the beta program several years ago when Quicken for Mac was reintroduced, but it was very obvious that a version meeting my needs was years away, so I stuck with the VM approach. I would like to re-evaluate that and see if it is time to ditch the VM. (The comments above have me thinking the answer is no, but hopefully I'm wrong :) )

• jacobs
    Options

Unfortunately, Quicken's web page comparing the various levels of subscription and differences between platforms — which was never perfectly comprehensive or accurate — has been replaced by the most recent website iteration which makes such feature comparisons nearly impossible!

Here's a link to the old product comparison chart

…which is still visible, but not linked from anywhere on the Quicken website. Note that this chart has not been updated to reflect the "Quicken Classic" branding, the renaming of "Home & Business" to "Business & Personal", or the introduction of Business & Personal for Mac.

I don't know why the marketing brains at Quicken have decided to make it so difficult to see what you gain going from Starter to Deluxe to Premier to Business & Personal, and between the Windows and Mac products at each of the subscription levels. Even the foster at the bottom of every page contains a mish-mash of products:

So there's…

• Classic Starter, Deluxe and Premier — which are links for the Windows products, even though it doesn't mention Windows
    • Just "Classic For Mac" with no separate links for Mac Starter, Deluxe or Premier
    • Business & Personal, and Business & Personal for Mac

This shows that the marketing mindset at Quicken still regards Windows as the default product, with "For Mac" segregated and named separately. Why not Deluxe for Windows and Deluxe for Mac, Premier for Windows, Premier for Mac, etc.? It's annoying as hell for us longtime Mac users.

But I digress… 😂

Realistically, the best way for you to see if Quicken Mac meets your needs is to try it. Quicken Mac had advanced considerably since the modern Quicken Mac was introduced nearly a decade ago. But it still lacks many features in Quicken Windows, although lots of them are shown by the developers as "Planned" for development this year. Whether the missing features are critical is different for each person, as we all use Quicken differently. Since you have a current subscription, there's no cost to download and run the Mac version while you continue to keep your "live" data in Quicken Windows. You can import your Quicken Window data file and experiment with Quicken Mac to see what has or hasn't changed. Or, if there are specific things you have questions about, just ask and folks here can hopefully answer your questions. (It might be better to start a new thread for that.)

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    Options

»  I run a Windows VM on my Mac solely for Quicken, and would like to lay this down.

+1. In my case, the main impediment to switching is the lack of true multi-currency support in the macOS version, a feature which has been "planned" for several years now! (I'm not holding my breath!)

• PennyRich
    PennyRich Member ✭✭
    edited January 24
    Options

You can run both, see if would work for you or not.

I converted mid December 2023 on MacBook Pro (Quicken for Mac). Still running Quicken Windows on my old Dell Win 10 Pro machine as well.

For me I like the Mac version better, but will continue to use both for a while.

Sorry missed the multi-currency support in your comment, so maybe not for you.

• wiley.alan
    wiley.alan Member
    Options

This upgrade broke the 2 factor authentication. A popup asks for where to send the code. When you hit submit it immediately try to validate the code that it never allowed you to enter. Looks like it is missing a step.

• JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had that happen last night on my Quicken Classic iPhone app. Quicken went through each of my financial institutions that need a code and asked to where it should send the code but never waited to receive a code.

Since the Quicken iPhone app hasn’t been updated in over a month, seem like it is a Quicken backend bug.

-Jay