Editing a report brings up the wrong list of categories

Options
swpcap
swpcap Member ✭✭
edited January 17 in Reports (Windows)

When I edit a report and want to make changes to the category list, I get a random list of categories that has nothing to do with my current report, so I have to start over from scratch each time. It didn't used to be that way, but has been for a while now. I thought they would fix it, but it is very irritating to have to start from scratch each time I want to make any changes to the category list in a report. How do I get this to function properly????

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are the incorrect Categories hidden? Hidden Categories will be shown in (parentheses) in the selection list.

The following very reasonable sequence will lead to hidden Categories being unexpectedly included in a report which is supposed to show only selected Categories:

• Open a built-in report, such as Itemized Categories
    • Click on the gear to customize and select the Categories tab. The Show (hidden categories) box is checked and the Include transactions with any category radio button is selected.
    • Un-check the Show hidden Categories box then click on Clear All **this is the problem - see below **
    • Select the Categories you want then run the report

With this sequence the report includes the Categories you have selected plus all the hidden cones.

The problem is that Clear All only clears the Categories that are currently displayed. Thus the hidden Categories have not been cleared.

To clear the hidden Categories, you must have the Show hidden Categories box checked before clicking on Clear All.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello @swpcap,

To troubleshoot this issue, would you please provide more information? When did you first notice this issue? Does this happen with every report? If it doesn't happen with all reports, then which ones do you see it happening with? Does this happen only in saved reports, or are you also seeing this behavior in newly created reports? Do you currently have the Early Access options for reports turned on (to check that, go to Edit>Preferences>Early Access)? Are you seeing this behavior exclusively with reports, or does it also happen when editing transactions?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• swpcap
    swpcap Member ✭✭
    Options

I have noticed it for several months. I tried several reports and it seems to happen to the itemized categories reports, which is what I mostly run. I tried old reports and new reports. There are a couple old ones that did not seem to have the issue, but any (old or new) reports that are using selected categories, instead of all categories, demonstrate the problem. I do not have Early Access turned on. As far as I know it is only in reports.

The list of categories that are shown are random compared to the report I was running, but seem to be consistently the same random list each time. It seems like there is a stored list that it is referencing instead of starting with the report I am trying to modify. We have a lot of categories, as we have used Quicken for more than 35 years, so I am scanning through the categories and they appear to be the same list when it comes up.

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are the incorrect Categories hidden? Hidden Categories will be shown in (parentheses) in the selection list.

The following very reasonable sequence will lead to hidden Categories being unexpectedly included in a report which is supposed to show only selected Categories:

• Open a built-in report, such as Itemized Categories
    • Click on the gear to customize and select the Categories tab. The Show (hidden categories) box is checked and the Include transactions with any category radio button is selected.
    • Un-check the Show hidden Categories box then click on Clear All **this is the problem - see below **
    • Select the Categories you want then run the report

With this sequence the report includes the Categories you have selected plus all the hidden cones.

The problem is that Clear All only clears the Categories that are currently displayed. Thus the hidden Categories have not been cleared.

To clear the hidden Categories, you must have the Show hidden Categories box checked before clicking on Clear All.

• Karyl Wilson
    Karyl Wilson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It happens to me too. I tried to save a report. When I go back in several random accounts are in the report. I have to dig back through the category list to find the ones I never selected. They are not hidden categories. I don't know when it started. This month was the first time I saved a report in over a year.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@Karyl Wilson

You say several random accounts are in the report. Did you mean several random Categories are in the report, or do you have all accounts selected and more were included than you expected because unwanted Categories were selected?

Please explain.

This discussion has been closed.