Account Reauthorization - locking up

Options

I'm on a year-old Windows laptop with the latest version of Quicken (I'm a subscriber). I got the notification that I needed to reauthorize some of my accounts (started with Fidelity), but when I do, the computer goes into an infinite loop when "updating". I need help to make this right.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @kevinemiller64,

To help troubleshoot this issue, could you please provide more information? What exactly is happening, and at what point are you getting stuck in this infinite updating loop? For instance, you mentioned a reauthorize prompt for Fidelity. What happens after you get that prompt? Is there something you need to click on, or are you dismissing it and continuing with One Step Update, etc?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• kevinemiller64
    Options

Hi…this started with a pop-up inside Quicken that said there was a new and faster way that Quicken would communicate with Fidelity and that I needed to reauthorize my accounts. I went through the steps to do that, but since then, other things aren't updated properly. I figured out that when I update only Fidelity and/or my bank, it updates OK, but my four credit cards will not. Each time I try it, the screen freezes after a few moments and the screen goes partly dim. I have to shut down Quicken using Windows Task Manager each time. I have disconnected those four accounts from electronic updates, and now they won't reconnect. The screen freezes and goes dim. I should mention that when the screen "freezes", the little blue circle keeps spinning, but that is it. Example below. Can you help?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Are the credit card accounts also with Fidelity, or are they with a different financial institution(s)? Were you having any issues prior to when you went through the reauthorization? When it freezes, about how long are you waiting before killing the program via task manager?

If this started immediately after you finished the reauthorization, then it's likely that the issue is a file-specific problem. To start troubleshooting that, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• kevinemiller64
    Options

Hi - following up…All my investment accounts are OK and checking are OK.

I track four credit cards: an AMEX, a Discover, and (2) Visas. The AMEX is the only one that came through this process unscathed.

The Discover card is downloading new transactions but something back in the history got changed because the current balance was wrong and I've had to put in a temporary transaction to balance it until I figure out what's going on. That, and a lot of memo and category information for the last six months or so got messed up (most of the categories defaulted to the same one). Relatively easy fix.

The first Visa card has the same problem as Discover: current balance is off due to something in the history. No issues with the categories, though.

The most nagging issue is with my Fidelity Visa. When I try to reestablish that account, Quicken doesn't see it in Fidelity like usual. Eight different investment accounts come up, but not the Visa Card account. Until this change, that's where Quicken went to get the transactions, and the Visa account is still visible on the Fidelity website. Has this been a problem with others?

Thank you

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

Which connection are you using when trying to add/link that Fidelity Visa? Are you connecting it to Elan Financial Services, or are you using a different connection? Also, what method are you using to connect it? Are you going to Tools>Add Account, following the prompts, and not getting an option to link it to the correct account, or is something else happening?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fidelity's cut in of EWC+ with QWin has been problematic.

1. FIDELITY VISA CARD: Many used to connect this with the Fidelity Rewards CC financial institution (FI) with an EWC connection. That FI is no longer available. Unfortunately, the new EWC+ connection does not set up for this credit card (at least not for me and others who have posted about this issue) and it cannot be set up for download via DC. Fortunately, there is another FI that can be used: Elan Financial Services (the card issuer). You will need to have an account set up with Elan but once that is done you should be able to download transactions from there. I have my Fidelity Rewards Card set up for download from Elan and it generally works quite well.
    2. INVESTMENT ACCOUNTS: The EWC+ reauthorization also tries to apply itself to current DC connected investment accounts. This should not be happening at all. The solution is to reconnect the accounts with DC. Do Add Account and select Fidelity Investments (type it in, do not click on the Fidelity logo). You should then be prompted to decide what to do with the downloads….make sure you Link them to your current accounts in Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.