Quicken and Citi

Options

I have two credit accounts at Citi and they have both been downloading properly for years. One is a Double Cash account and the other a Costco account. Now some unexplained reason the Double Cash card stopped downloading around 5 December. I try to reinstall it and an error message, 502, pops up and says there is a problem with Citi and provides a phone number. I called the number and Citi says Quicken has a server problem. I called Quicke and they acknowledged a server problem but did not offer any expected solution date. My mobile access to Citi works fine.

There is an older thread with a similar problem discussion that was closed without a solution.

I need an estimated time of repair.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @BobBob,

Unfortunately, our teams do not provide ETAs for when an issue is anticipated to be resolved. However, you can bookmark this Community Alert to be notified of updates, when available, and know when the issue is resolved.

Since you did mention these are credit card accounts, one alternative that works for many people is to connect the accounts via Direct Connect instead.

To do that, first, backup your Quicken file. Then, deactivate those two credit card accounts with Citi. Reconnect them by going to Tools>Add Account and searching for Citi Cards. Once you have Citi Cards highlighted, click the Advanced Options link.

Select Direct Connect.

Note: You may need to go through an authorization process on Citi's website. The FAQ provides more information. If you already see an authorized connection to Quicken on their website, you may need to remove it and recreate it to get the connection to work.

Once that's done, follow the prompts. When you get to the Add/Link screen, carefully re-link those accounts to the correct nicknames in Quicken.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• GM1618
    GM1618 Member
    Options

My Citi Visa Account stopped downloading into Quicken as well after December 15, 2023. I tried the "Reset Account" and the "Deactivate" and "Activate" options in Quicken numerous times without success.

I finally did the following that appears to have provided a solution, albeit not perfect:

Deactive the Citi Account in Quicken that is not downloading. Then add a new Citi account for the same account. When I did this, it successfully set up, downloaded transactions since the beginning of November 4, 2023 and created a beginning balance which it allowed it to reconcile properly.

This creates some duplicate transactions in the original Citi account and the newly created one, but if I delete those in the original account Quicken should be in balance and updating through the new account.

Quicken provides the ability to move transactions from the old account to the new account, so I may try that, after backing up first, to see if that puts everything back in order, hoping that it doesn't happen again.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In my opinion @Quicken Kristina's suggestion is the better way to go.

Citibank/Express Web Connect appears to have problems on a regular basis, based on what I have seen in this forum.

On the other hand, Citi Cards/Direct Connect doesn't have the same problems.

We have had our Citi CostCo Vista Anywhere card setup with the financial institution "Citi Cards" and Direct Connect from the start (5/2016) and never hand any problems with it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JJSmac
    JJSmac Member ✭✭
    Options

I've had the same problem with Quicken since October 2023, called them (on the phone over an hour at my expense) and they said it was Citi. I called Citi and they said it's an issue with Quicken. I've tried Direct Connect and Quicken Connect, neither works. I bought iFinance app, setup with Citi and it worked fine. It's Quicken issue that they can't or don't know how to fix, very frustrating!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3
    Options

@JJSmac I see you are a Mac user, this is a Windows thread, so some of this is different. For instance, I didn't know that Quicken Connect is also failing for this. Quicken Connect in Mac tends to be a bit better than Express Web Connect in Windows, but I guess whatever is making them fail is the same.

Direct Connect on the other hand is the same in both Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows and works great for credit cards, but only for credit cards. Direct Connect isn't available for Citibank banking accounts.

If you go this route, make sure you follow @Quicken Kristina instructions (changing for the fact that you are on make and will be doing similar, but not exactly the same steps), and that authorized Quicken access at the Citi Cards website.

Signature:
  • Ken197
    Ken197 Member ✭✭
    Options

Does Quicken understand when you use "Direct Connect" method you have to pay for that service?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is up to the financial institution. But I can tell you that I pay nothing for Direct Connect for Citi Cards/CostCo Vista Anywhere card. That might be different for a business credit card.

Signature:
  • BobBob
    BobBob Member ✭✭
    Options

I think I started this thread. My issue disappeared a few days ago. Don't know why…don't tell anybody, it may come back. But both of my accounts now connect fine with CITI.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for the follow up @BobBob,

If you need further assistance in the future, feel free to reach back out!

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW Thanks Chris…Direct connect is much quicker and more reliable…

• TranClan4
    TranClan4 Member ✭✭
    Options

I did not get the Direct Connect option, only Express Web Connect and Web Connect.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @TranClan4,

Which Citi connection are you attempting to connect to (Citibank, Citi Cards, something else)? Citibank does not give the option for Direct Connect. Citi Cards does give the option, but currently it is not working correctly (you can click this link to view the discussion on the issue).

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

• MMY
    MMY Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same issue STILL! I have tried all of the recommendations above and nothing will work. I have called Quicken and Citi Cards frequently and so far it's been we are working on the issue. I sincerely hope Quicken resolves this quickly. Note: This is why I left Quicken before. Same issues as a decade ago.

• Pam Flaig
    Pam Flaig Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Citi has been a periodic problem for at least the last year. Times like this that won't connect at all and then other times it misses transactions in the connection. These are accounts I know to manually check and fix; very time consuming and frustrating!

This discussion has been closed.