Membership Expired Dialog Box

Options
Dr. JJ
Dr. JJ Member ✭✭

I am getting the same behavior described in the March 2021 post referenced below. It sometimes happens when I enter transactions in various registers. It happens consistently when I enter bills under Bills & Income reminders from that tab or from the shortcut on the dashboard. It happens worst when I enter income (paycheck) transactions where I get probably between 3-7 dialog boxes back-to-back. I have to simply continue clicking "OK" until the transaction fully enters.

I did a search here and couldn't find many others experiencing this issue. I have a 20+ year old file that has grown to around 350MB and have been repaired/revalidated more times than I can count. I am wondering if this may be the culprit? I have seen this issue since Quicken has transitioned to the new subscription model several years ago.

At first, I thought this may have been a "feature" (nag) to drive (force) end users to renew the annual subscription. Since I haven't found many others complaining about this I am beginning to feel it may not be as widespread as I initially thought.

Any ideas from the community? @jcs I didn't really follow your solution. Like @mshiggins I couldn't determine the correlation between the problem and the solution, but I have to admit the latest community issue with the MS OneDrive and the password was one of those non-obvious correlations as well! I know this is an old issue but feel free to advise if you recall any new insights since the initial post. Thank you!

-J

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Dr. JJ,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did this behavior first start? That pop up would usually be triggered only if Quicken thinks its being told to do something that would require a subscription (such as use online services). Have you gone to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web and made sure Sync is turned off?

The solution jcs mentioned in the post you linked was making sure not to leave the Bills & Income section on Projected Balances. You would get to that using the Bills & Income tab, then choosing the Projected Balances tab (see sample image below).

You mentioned that it is especially problematic when you are recording income. Could you please provide more detail what process you use when recording income (eg a simple transaction in the register, or do you do a split transaction, or do you have the paycheck wizard set up)?

Is this affecting only specific account registers (and functions that connect to those registers)? If only certain registers seem to be affected, have you tried creating a new manual account and testing to see if the issue happens there?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh, here's some additional technical details of my installation/setup:

Quicken Classic Business & Personal
    Version: R53.16
    Build: 27.1.53.16
    Windows 10 Home

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

I had a longer reply before above. It somehow disappeared when I posted it.

Quick recap:
    1) I saw this issue probably first around Oct 2022.
    2) I do not use Mobile & Web sync. I confirmed that setting was indeed turned to OFF.
    3) Thank you for the clarification on jcs' solution. I normally keep my last tab set to "Bills" or the "Income & Transfers" tabs. This note had me try an experiment. I clicked between the 3 tabs and was able to consistently trigger the dialog box between select tabs. For instance, when I click between Bills → Income & Transfer, as well as Projected Balances → Income & Transfers. The error does not occur in the opposite directions or when I click between Projected Balances and Bills (or vice-versa).
    4) My income gets recorded from a few paycheck wizard reminders that are setup to occur either bi-weekly or bi-monthly.
    5) I do not believe it occurs between only select registers. I do have over 100 active registers and probably twice as many closed accounts though so I cannot be certain.

After the experiment in #3 above, it does seem to have something to do with the "Income & Transfers" tab. When I click on it then go "Home" (or to any other tab like "Spending", "Planning", "Investing", etc) and then try to click on Bills & Income again I get the error. The error does not occur if I do the same but first click on the "Bills" tab or "Projected Balances" tab. So it may be an error like jcs but I have to stay off the "Bills & Income" tab instead of "Projected Balances" tab to avoid the dialog box error. That is until I have to enter an income reminder!

Hopefully, I recaptured what I initially tried to post. Please let me know if there is any other inputs you need.

-J

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

New Data Point:

I entered a paycheck entry today and did not receive the series of dialog box errors as in the past. The only difference I can see was I went to the Bills & Income tab and made sure it was on "Bills" (vs. "Income & Transfers") and then entered the income reminder from the Home→"Stay On Top of Monthly Bills" tile on the dashboard.

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Duplicate Post

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

From what you describe, this may be a file specific issue. I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the follow up Quicken Kristina. I was not hopeful that validating and super-validating would make a difference. Recall, in my opening post, I mentioned that my Quicken database has been "repaired/revalidated more times than I can count." It has been super validated only a handful of times though. I did try both options you mentioned above as indicated and it had no effect after each option. At this point, I believe I have a work around which is to ensure I do not leave the "Bills & Income" tab on "Income & Transfers" and I should be OK for now. Thanks again!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear you were able to find a suitable work around.

I hope you have a happy New Year!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.