Fidelity NetBenefits - Downloading transactions with Unidentified Security

pbrewer99
pbrewer99 Quicken Mac Other Member
ONGOING 9/2/23 Fidelity NetBenefits - Downloading transactions with Unidentified Security

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

This appears to be a Fidelity problem … that Fidelity has to fix.

Q CAN'T fix it.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta

I seem to have a similar issue that has been ongoing since the last 'fix' where Fidelity NetBenefits finally started downloading all of my 401k investments again. Prior to that the download was dropping all of my international fund investments and I was having to place them in the file by hand every week.

Since that time however, 3 of my Vanguard funds download but between Fidelity and Quicken they can't agree that these new names are in fact the same as the existing funds I have already been investing in for over half a decade. I only noticed it when I went to reconcile my end of year 401k statement and found out that when i was accepting the transactions with the new name and then updating them in the register, Quicken was not moving the stock price history with it. So I was missing quite a bit of value from when the stock stopped updating. Every week Quicken asks me if I'm aware that this is a new stock and it asks me what I want to do. No matter what I select, I have to do the same thing all over the following week plus suffer through Quicken complaining that my stock for those funds don't match the Fidelity download.

Here is an example:

Vanguard Mid-Cap Index Institutional Plus That straight line from around the first of November until Dec 31st is me manually fixing the price quote on 12/31. This is the fund I've been investing in forever and it has not changed.

Fidelity however since July has been reporting it as the following (and Quicken recording it as such)

I guess I could let it continue to download as the new version and then merge the old one into the new one? I have 5+ years of cost basis, etc. in the 'old' one.

• Michael Jones

Actually, digging into this a little further just now I think I figured it out. Will see if it works tomorrow when my 401k txs download for the week. If so, it's because when Fidelity finally got around to fixing the CUSIP missing issue from their downloads Quicken had already created the new securities with those CUSIP names and even moved them from the old ones to the new ones.

I went in and reset the CUSIP numbers for the 2 that are still having this problem (1 corrected itself though how I don't know) and then exported the price history for the bad ones to CSV files. I then deleted the bad securities and since they had no transaction history Quicken did not complain. Hopefully tomorrow then Quicken will ask me to match them to existing ones and then update the CUSIP for them correctly.

Worst case if I want complete history I have about 3 months of weekly price history to type in manually, since apparently you can't import start price history that I can see.

• Michael Jones

Morning update. I had to delete the wrong securities twice to get Quicken to properly update the CUSIP on my existing security. I don't know if that's because Quicken seems to only be able to do one at a time or something else. But it works.

For the folks at Quicken if they are reading, the stock matching page that pops up, to me, should not have 'show hidden stocks' selected by default. That should be unselected or worst case it should remember the users last selection and not keep defaulting to it being on. Likewise, in both cases where the stock was put back as the same old security as I noted in my picture above, the entire history also reappeared which leads me to believe Quicken is not actually deleting the security and it's history in these cases as indicated.

For the OP on this thread that I now probably hijacked, you can go to the securities area in Quicken and see if you can find the security in question. If there is enough of the data, Quicken will create one and give it whatever information it can so you can try to identify it. The screw up last summer appeared to be that Fidelity stopped sending CUSIP identifiers, which are required by the interface spec they and Quicken use, and therefore everything went sideways. There were other issues as well, but that was one of the biggest.

The other option, depending on how technical you are, is to do some of what I did last night and use the tools in Quicken to look at the OFX log and to try and identify the security in question. I exported the log to Notepad and went looking as it's tag delimited without structure and then I did some formatting to help clean it up so I could look at it better. I highlighted in yellow the CUSIP numbers and the 'trade names' for some of my holdings as examples. If you go this route and the CUSIP is missing, then it's a Fidelity problem for sure.

• pbrewer99

I see two discussions starting in Sept. 2023 regarding bad transaction downloads from Fidelity. I haven't seen any solution from Quicken that addresses the problem that is four months old now. How much longer do we have to wait for a fix?

Having to go in and manually edit my account every time I download transactions is a ridiculous waste of time, when Quicken is supposed to SAVE us time!

• Michael Jones

Not sure what you expect to get without posting any details. But best of luck!

• pbrewer99

Quicken says this has been marked as resolved, but I am still getting a ghost transaction in one of my Fidelity accounts when I download from Fidelity. Does anyone know how it was resolved or what customers need to do to resolve it?
    Thanks,

Quicken Classic Premier V. 7.5.2

macOS Sonoma V 14.3.1

• Notcho
    Notcho Quicken Mac 2017 Member
    edited March 4

I am still having the same problem even though it was marked as "RESOLVED" with no details. [Removed - Speculation]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @Notcho,

Moderators do not control when an issue is marked resolved. We mark Community Alerts resolved when the ticket associated with that alert is marked resolved.

If you are still experiencing an issue after it has been marked resolved, please contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.