Merrill Lynch - OFX 16503 (QMAC)

Options

Answers

• KenPog
    KenPog Member
    Options

Piling on a bit but same here. No issue with BOA but Merrill hasn’t worked in 2024. Deleted connection and tried to reconnect to no avail. On Quicken for Mac.

• taitelh
    taitelh Member ✭✭
    Options

+1 to the Merrill Problems. End of year…bad time not to be able to get updated transactions. This has been going on for some time now.

• RKSQM
    RKSQM Member
    Options

Same error … still as of Jan 7 9pm eastern

• Larry Berran
    Larry Berran Member ✭✭
    Options

Can't connect on Quicken for Windows either.

• Laotian
    Laotian Member
    Options

Looks like we are up to at least 50 reports and counting. Me too if anyone at Quicken is looking. Any ETA for a fix?

• RD2209
    RD2209 Member ✭✭
    Options

Its been a week+ on reporting this issue and the bouncing around between Quicken and ML.

When will quicken communicate the fix. ?

• MG99
    MG99 Member ✭✭
    Options

having same issue with Merrill…I am able to do an old school “log on to Merrill manually and download”…but that’s a bandaid. Please see if you can get this fixed. Thank you.

• James628
    James628 Member
    Options

Same issue with downloading from Merrill. Seems like they've had enough time to fix this.

• jasonb885
    jasonb885 Member ✭✭
    Options

fwiw, if you read Bits About Money blog: https://www.bitsaboutmoney.com

He discusses at length just how bizarre, lumbering, and sclerotic banks are, so it wouldn't shock me if this takes months to get resolved; the right person in the right department probably hasn't even heard about this issue, yet. Might have more success escalating to investor services for Bank of America, and claim you're a shareholder. If you own any index funds, you almost certainly are a shareholder.

Sigh.

• cjjf_cjjf_cjjf1!
    Options

Im hoping there is some type of refund for this non-connection and the time it is taking to resolve it.

• Struggles
    Struggles Member ✭✭
    Options

I contacted support and they extended my subscription one month

• Cruz
    Cruz Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you so much! It works now - Jan 8 12:26pm ET

• JayDC
    JayDC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Talked to support today…they hope by the end of the week this is resolved. No promises. Maybe before.

• DEWVLW
    DEWVLW Member
    Options

Just ran an update and it worked.

• Kevin17
    Kevin17 Member
    Options

The connection seems to be working now, after numerous calls to Quicken and ML. I was able to update my ML accounts in Q / Windows just now.

• KenPog
    KenPog Member
    Options

I had deleted the connection and have now added it back in. I see the dashboard and portfolio but the transaction tab is shaded and not accessible. I used the direct connection to add the connection. Any ideas?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It sounds like you enabled Simple investing mode instead of Complete investing mode.

Right click on the account name in the account bar and select Edit/Delete account.

Then select Complete… and then OK

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • salda
    salda Member ✭✭
    Options

I ran an update today and it seems like it's fixed. For reference, I also use Banktivity, which is Mac exclusive, and I had issues connecting to Merrill right up to today as well. So, in my experience it was not only a Quicken issue to be fair.

Running Quicken Premier Version 7.4.2 (Build 704.51578.100) - macOS 14.1.2

• Larry Berran
    Larry Berran Member ✭✭
    Options

looks like Merrill finally worked for me as well. Running Quicken for windows on parallels on a Mac.

• KenPog
    KenPog Member
    Options

Thank you @ chris_QPW, I did figure that out but appreciate the response.

• James628
    James628 Member
    Options

Finally fixed and able to download Merrill Lynch account to Quicken.

• RetiredInDelaware
    Options

I just attempted an update with Merrill Lynch, and it completed successfully.

• Nobody special
    Nobody special Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It was specifically a Bank of America network problem. I personally fixed it. I work at Bank of America

• salda
    salda Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Nobody special
    Options

Interesting to think a customer service person at Merrill Lynch who supports your accounts can be expected to fix this. Think about it. They are not plumbers or electricians. Do you change your own light switches or outlets, fix your plumbing? Likely not. The time it takes to get such a small issue to the correct department from general customer service is next to impossible. There are change request and incident tools used by the bank. Banks are moving to new APIs for aggregation. Quicken performs a lot of screen scraping for lots of data. Not the best method.

• Nobody special
    Options

Yeah, me. I don't work at quicken

• JSS
    JSS Member ✭✭
    Options

Whoever fixed it I am definitely grateful only wish customer service from Quicken did a better job keeping us informed even if they just told us they were trying on a daily basis to know that somebody was paying attention would have been comforting at least

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think anyone thought they could fix it, but they thought that these people should have been able to forward the request to fix it to people like you that do know how to fix such things. That might be pretty naive. 😉

As for Quicken and "screen scraping", it is my belief that that was done only because not all of the financial institutions would adopt a standard protocol like OFX. I (as a long-time programmer) find it a real shame that aggregation was needed in the first place. Putting a third-party in between any process is never ideal.

And now "some" of the financial institutions will go to FDX, which is only from the aggregator (like Intuit in this case) to the financial institutions. What could possibly go wrong with that? (sarcastic)

BTW as I understand it, Express Web Connect mostly wasn't really "screen scraping", that was used only as a last resort. Instead, what was being done is Intuit has an agreement of how the data would be transferred. That could be anything from a QFX file to CSV, or maybe even REST. But one of MAJOR problems with it is "login as the user". That is a security nightmare just wanting to be tripped. Not as much as a hacker getting in, but just the fact that as the financial institutions tighten that security it gets harder and harder for the "Intuit scripts" to function. And that is before you even talk about the fact that whatever they decide on might be dependent on the website not changing, and it does change.

And I would like to point out that the OFX standard for the most part has been a success. When people are all up in harms because they can't get their data, they tend to forget the years of it working without a problem.

I just wish that the US was more like the EU in the regard of enforcing standards like OFX so that "fudging" like "aggregation" wouldn't be needed.

But any given industry has their daemons, and I'm grateful that you have killed off this one.

Thanks!

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • cesarvinocur
    cesarvinocur Member ✭✭
    Options

Workaround:

1. Open ML Portal
    2. Go to Holdings
    3. Click on Export
    4. Down to "Download More Data"
    5. Select Quicken
    6. Select "Quicken" on #4 Download

Quicken will establish a Web Connect to your account(s) which would remain in place until the issue is resolved.

This discussion has been closed.