Why are two of my credit card accounts showing today's date as "last reconciliation"?

Options
beeattitude
beeattitude Member ✭✭
  • Quicken Classic / Windows 11
  • Registers are showing that I've reconciled through mid-August 2022, which is true
  • Reconcile window says "Prior statement ending date is 01/06/24

What happened? Any help is appreciated!

I enter all transactions manually rather than importing them from the bank, so it isn't an issue with transaction downloads.

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @beeattitude,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Did this issue just start today? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started (accidentally starting a reconcile for the wrong time period, unexpected program or computer shut down, system or program update, etc)? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are the accounts setup for auto-reconcile after One Step Update?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• beeattitude
    beeattitude Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina and splasher —Thanks for your responses.

• The Quicken file is not synced to any cloud service. It's on my C drive.
    • My backup file is also there. When I want to back up the backup, I manually move it to an external drive + Dropbox, but this is outside of Quicken.
    • No issues like unexpected shut-downs appeared just prior to my working on the file. BUT, I did need to go back to 2022 to reconcile a few accounts. I don't think my negligence in monthly reconciling could be the problem, but maybe it is?

splasher — The accounts are not set up for any cloud services. I enter all transactions manually and don't auto-reconcile.

I just thought of something, though. I had been syncing my Quicken file to Quicken Online, but I didn't like it so I turned off syncing to app.quicken.com. I did this just prior to starting reconciliation. I just went to check app.quicken.com to see if accounts were correct and can't get past the set-up window. I don't want to turn sync back on to check the online version for fear of messing things up further.

Thanks again.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I wouldn't expect having to go back to 2022 to reconcile accounts to cause an issue. Based on your earlier description, it sounds like you do everything manually and you reconcile using the statement balance (comparing to online balance and using auto reconcile requires having the account connected to the financial institution). Are there any reconciled transactions in those accounts aside from the Aug 2022 reconcile? If so, what timeframes have been reconciled?

If not, then this may be a file specific issue. I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• beeattitude
    beeattitude Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi, Kristina — I did both a Validation and a Super Validation. The reconcile window still shows the wrong date on each of the credit card accounts, but I was able to reconcile the accounts by correcting the date on each one. I will see how it goes when I reconcile in February. Meanwhile, all accounts are updated and all is well. (Except for that weird date issue on credit card accounts only.)

I think we can close the issue for now. Thanks for all your help.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad you were able to reconcile by correcting the dates. Please reach back out if the issue happens again in February.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.