Problems with Amex Card account setup

Options

Hi. I had asked this question some time ago and then I completely forgot about it and did not check (it would be nice to have notification sent to my email). Anyway, last year when there was the problem with Amex and I needed to reauthorize my accounts this problem started and continues.

I have 2 cards from Amex, Gold and Blue. The blue card reauthorized fine, but the Gold would not recognize I had an account already setup (and previously worked fine) in quicken and wanted to create a new account. Not only that, it would not recognized the Gold card as a credit card, but wanted to set it up as a bank account (checking/saving) which it isn't. I tried removing the old gold account from quicken and setup the account from scratch, but still the same.

What can be done here as this is really annoying.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @NJMike1964,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. Is there a specific account Quicken keeps trying to force you to link the account to, or is it showing the wrong account type even when the Action column shows "Add to Quicken"?

Also, did you attempt any of the troubleshooting/suggestions from that previous thread?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• NJMike1964
    NJMike1964 Member
    Options

When it reauthorizes it tries to link to an existing checking account, but under action I choose Add to Quicken and under type, it only gives me checking or savings. Nothing there for credit.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Is the account it's trying to link it to an active account, or is it an account that is no longer in use? Is that account connected in Quicken? Does the problem account use the same login credentials as the other AmEx account? Also, did you already try following UKR's suggestion from the previous thread?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• NJMike1964
    NJMike1964 Member
    Options

Let me go through the steps I have tried:

1. Deactivated the old account in Quicken.
    2. Removed the old account completely from Quicken.
    3. Tools / New Account entered American Express and selected the first match (not bank account) from the list.
    4. Logged into American Express and selected the Gold Card account to authorize.
    5. Popup shows with Amex account and trying to link to an existing Savings account that is with a bank, NOT with Amex.
    6. Change to Add as new account and it only gives me option of Checking or Savings.

I also tested by creating a completely new quicken file with nothing in it and added only the amex card and it worked fine, but this is not the answer as I do not want to go through the hassle of moving all my accounts to a new file.

Thanks

Mike

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Since you mention it works properly in a completely new file, that indicates the issue you're encountering is file specific. I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• NJMike1964
    NJMike1964 Member
    Options

Thanks. I will try this in the next couple of days and report back.

• NJMike1964
    NJMike1964 Member
    Options

I've tried both and neither has worked. I still get the same problem, see attached screenshot

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

The next step is to restore a backup from before the issue started, if possible. Then, test to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file (Note - the newly restored file would be your data file as of the date of that backup; any manual entries/corrections made after that date would be missing from the restored file).

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.