No Longer Able to Edit Investing Portfolio Columns

Options
eno888
eno888 Member ✭✭
edited March 2 in Investing (Mac)

I have Quicken Mac and can no longer edit the columns in the Portfolio view to see an investment's cost basis. Because I download the transactions, I only have simple reporting. Is there a way to fix this? Seeing the cost basis doesn't seem like a big ask. Thanks!

Best Answers

• eno888
    eno888 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks!

When I added the accounts and set up the automatic downloads with the bank, it said that only simple tracking was available. I'm not sure why my husband's have detailed tracking when it's the same bank. I appreciate the help

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@eno888 My financial institutions have multiple connection options in Quicken when you set up downloading. you and your husband may have selected different connection methods. For investment accounts, you generally need a Direct Connect connection for detailed tacking.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @eno888,

When did you first notice this issue? After a recent update? Do you receive any error codes or messages? Is this occurring with a specific financial institution?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• eno888
    eno888 Member ✭✭
    Options

Looking at our accounts again, the accounts that are 'detailed' downloads can edit the columns. Strangely they are at the same institutions as the others and the same kinds of accounts (Roth, IRA, brokerage). For some reason my husband's accounts can be detailed. I'm fairly sure though that when I set up the downloads, 'simple' was the only option.

• jacobs
    Options

Because I download the transactions, I only have simple reporting.

This statement confused me, so perhaps you can clarify. Are you using Simple Tracking for this investment account? That would mean you are downloading only the account balance and value, but not downloading transactions. And if that's the case, Quicken can't calculate cost basis or gain/loss. (All my investment accounts use Detailed Tracking, so I can't see this for myself.) And I don't think brokerages transmit this to Quicken on a daily basis. You'll have to log onto your brokerage's web site to see that information.

Or if you want to see it in Quicken, you need to switch to Detailed Tracking. If your financial institution doesn't offer Detailed Tracking, you can look at whether they offer the ability to download transactions in Quicken/OFX format, which you can then import into Quicken. Or enter the transactions manually. (I do the latter; if you don't have a lot of transactions, it's actually not a lot of work.)

• eno888
    eno888 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks!

When I added the accounts and set up the automatic downloads with the bank, it said that only simple tracking was available. I'm not sure why my husband's have detailed tracking when it's the same bank. I appreciate the help

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

@eno888 My financial institutions have multiple connection options in Quicken when you set up downloading. you and your husband may have selected different connection methods. For investment accounts, you generally need a Direct Connect connection for detailed tacking.

• eno888
    eno888 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @jacobs . You were right. In looking again he had Direct Connect and I had Quick Connect. Many thanks!

This discussion has been closed.