How to delete multiple downloaded transactions - shift key not working [EDITED]

Options
Larry Berran
Larry Berran Member ✭✭

Quicken downloaded about 300 transactions (almost all duplicates) for my Newport account. I am not able to use the shift key + scroll to delete multiple transactions at once. I have been able to do this before. Does anyone know other work arounds?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 21
    Options

[This was originally posted as a question for Quicken Mac, so this reply is for Quicken Mac.] I'm confused why using the Shift key isn't working. You're in the register for this account? You click one transaction, scroll down a bit, and Shift-click on another transaction… and what happens? For me the Shift-click on the second transaction highlights all the transactions between the first transaction clicked and the second transaction Shift-clicked.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 20
    Options

They might be talking about using the keyboard instead - for example, select a transaction then hold down the shift key & hit the down arrow to extend the selection downward. It's working for me.

• Larry Berran
    Larry Berran Member ✭✭
    Options

I was in the downloaded transaction area and was using my keyboard and trackpad. I was able to do it a few weeks ago to another account that downloaded a years worth of data after the account needed to be reset. I just manually deleted all 300 transactions much to the chagrin of my wrist;-). I've been using Quicken for decades and generally know what I am doing but this was really frustrating. I think it was originally call MoneyCounts back in late 80's early 90s.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I was in the downloaded transaction area

I don't understand what you're describing; in Quicken Mac (unlike Quicken Windows), there is no area/screen for downloaded transactions; they're just transactions in your account register. What do you mean "the downloaded transaction area"?

And I'm still not sure what isn't working for you…

If I click on one transaction and then Shift-Click on a transaction 5 below the first in the register, all five transactions will become highlighted (and I can then delete them at once).

If I click on one transaction, then use the trackpad to scroll down a screen, and then Shift-click on a transaction, all the transactions between the first and last one clicked will be highlighted for deleting.

If I click on one transaction, and do as @Jon mentioned, holding down the Shift key while pressing the down arrow five times, all 5 transactions will be highlighted for deleting.

Have you tried doing one/any of these methods of selecting multiple transactions? Are you doing something different? If so, please explain exactly what you are doing.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Larry Berran
    Larry Berran Member ✭✭
    Options

I apologize. I actually use the windows version but through parallels (and it's the only reason I buy parallels which is so annoying).

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The big question here is why the standard Windows selection methods aren't working, because this hasn't been changed.

Left click first transaction, hold down shift key and select last transaction (you can make this a right click to select the transactions on pull up the context menu at the same time). Holding down Ctrl and clicking toggles the selection of that one transaction.

I just got to this point in the thread.

I was in the downloaded transaction area and was using my keyboard and trackpad.

Being able to do multiple select in the Downloaded Transactions tab is "pretty new", say 6 months to a year, and not a mode that I use (I use the mode that puts the transactions directly into the register and as such I have the full power of the register). But I downloaded transactions into an old copy of my data file with the transactions going into the Downloaded Transactions tab, and it works for me.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Larry Berran
    Larry Berran Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the follow up. I already deleted everything manual but will refer to this in the future as I run into this issues a couple times a year. Thank you.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is another method that was the only way to do it prior to Quicken adding the ability to select the range.

See this FAQ:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.