UI Element Missing: No Settings Gear on Registers

Options
John@33
John@33 Member ✭✭✭

New with R54.9: [Removed - Sarcasm]

Regardless of whether you are using pop-up registers or not, the settings icon is not visible in the top right of a register. The only icon now in the top right of a register is a + sign [Removed - Sarcasm].

[Removed - Sarcasm]

Expected behavior: The settings gear icon and menu are visible in the top right of every register.

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @John@113,

Since I am not able to replicate the issue you are seeing in R54.9, could you please provide a screenshot of this issue so we can further investigate? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Mick Mickle
    Mick Mickle Member ✭✭
    Options

If I may chime in: Here are screenshots of the normal gear icon which is now missing. Instead there is a "+" (plus sign), and the area over it that used to have the gear icon is blank. See this topic for a screenshot of the current problem:

Here is the normal gear icon:

Ctrl+Shift+N still works, BTW.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Strange the menu comes up for me in both R53.32 and R54.9.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please try the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't find any way to make the gear disappear. And I still haven't seen a screenshot where it's missing.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To this statement:

Here are screenshots of the normal gear icon which is now missing. Instead there is a "+" (plus sign),

The "+" has been there for quite some time (I don't remember when it was added) and it isn't in the same location as the gear icon for the menu. The gear/menu icon is just above it.

If you click on the "+" icon it just takes you to the "new transaction" entry in the register.

Signature:
  • Mick Mickle
    Mick Mickle Member ✭✭
    edited January 24
    Options

Chris, you're absolutely right: The "+" has been there for many versions. I should have said that there is "only" a plus sign in the general area. However, reinstalling on four computers - a mix of Win 10 and Win 11 - haven't produced the missing gear icon problem. I almost wonder if it had anything to do with my subscription expiring in 17 days and renewing it for another year. 🙂 I'll pursue and try to duplicate the problem.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since Ctrl-Shift-N works, can you go to the bottom of the menu and do Customize Action Bar and add some items? Maybe that would make the gear reappear.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like some kind of display problem to me (incompatibility/Quicken not doing the right thing). Those buttons that are missing are drawn there in a different way than the other controls.

Signature:
  • John@33
    John@33 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Things I tried already:

• Relaunch Quicken (about 13 times already)
    • Reboot PC (at least twice so far)
    • Manual Patch
    • Validate file

What worked:

• Copy file using the "Create a copy or template" option (takes a looong time)
    • When prompted, I opened the original file
    • Observe the settings gear was NOT present in any register still
    • Open the copied file
    • Observe the settings gear was present in any register
    • Open the original file again
    • Observe the settings gear is now showing all registers

I'm not sure what "fixed" it other than simply opening a different file with Quicken and then opening my original file (unmodified).

I do appreciate everyone's responses, though. I noted some problems with the update process for which I created some other posts. This might be another bug that happens after an/the update runs and this one gets reset when switching between files.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting, but I will point out that the original and copy files aren't the same. "Create a copy or template" does a record-by-record copy which leaves "deleted" records and maybe some problem records behind.

Signature:
  • Mick Mickle
    Mick Mickle Member ✭✭
    Options

The problem is apparently not specific to R54.9. Unfortunately, the missing gear icon cause isn't easy to identify, and it doesn't seem to manifest with common or consistent conditions. Searching the community forum for "gear icon missing" shows it's happened to users at least since 2020.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What I do know about those icons are they are "drawn special". For instance, while doing One Step Update they will flash on and off, just like the icons they put up in front of the account names as they update.

Signature:
  • John@33
    John@33 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, now the problem keeps coming back. So, I open a different file and then back to my file and the gear and clock icons show again. No idea what's happening.

This discussion has been closed.