Quicken file - import issues from Windows to Mac

Options
Evan S Platt
Evan S Platt Member ✭✭

Hi All,

Running Quickens on my Windows PC. Save the QDF file. Open Quicken on my Mac, and import the QDF file. Connect to quicken cloud.

My checking account balance after the import is $187,000. This is about.. oh… $187,000 off LOL
I don't see anything off but it's obviously WAY wrong.

Any ideas on what could cause this? Latest Quicken on both Mac and Windows.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Evan S Platt,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Is this happening with just one account, or with multiple accounts? Is this happening immediately after the file is converted/opened on Quicken for Mac, or is this happening after the account is reconnected to the financial institution? If you're not seeing anything obviously wrong (duplicate/missing transactions), have you checked the opening balance for the account? Since the opening balance is a calculated value, it can potentially change when it shouldn't.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'd suggest doing the conversion again into a new file, WITHOUT enabling Sync to Quicken Cloud. Determine if the conversion was clean and your balances are correct. In other words, isolate conversion issues from cloud sync issues.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Evan S Platt
    Evan S Platt Member ✭✭
    Options

When I go to import, I have no choice - I get the message This version of Quicken uses Quicken Cloud to import Quicken Windows files.

• Evan S Platt
    Evan S Platt Member ✭✭
    Options

It's on multiple accounts. My HSA also shows a high balance (only off by $1k).

Opening balance is correct.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I misunderstood your original post. You’re correct that the conversion process involves a cloud server. I thought you were referring to the option to enable syncing to Wuicken Cloud for mobile app or web access — that’s what I was suggesting you leave turned off.

Going back to your original post, you said you don’t see anything that looks off, but the balance is way off. You’re going to need to dig in to find what is off. First, I’d go back to the beginning of the account to see if Quicen inserted a bogus opening balance transaction. If not, I’d open your Quicen Windows and check the account balance at year-end for several years over time; then go over to the Mac and check the balance on those dates. Where is it wrong; where is it correct? Find the first time it’s wrong, and zero in on the period before that. Continue comparing between Windows and Mac until you find where things go wrong.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.