Match two register entries to 1 downloaded transaction

Options
kbrock
kbrock Member

I have two different register entries that combined match 1 downloaded transaction. How do I manually match the 1 to 2?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Options

(EDIT: Correction is in italics. Thanks to @splasher and @Chris_QPW for pointing this out and correcting me. I had forgotten about that.)

You cannot match 1 downloaded transaction to 2 separate transactions in the register provided the downloaded transaction is not automatically entered into the register and then the match can be done manually (as @splasher's post below shows).

What you can do, if the situation warrants it, is to delete 1 of the 2 separate transactions. In the remaining transaction, edit it to add the dollar value of the deleted transaction and then split the category. The 1st line of the split category should reflect the category and dollar value of the the original transaction before editing it. The 2nd line of the split category should reflect the category and dollar value of the transaction that was deleted. The total of the 2 categories in the split needs to match the transaction total. Then this split category transaction can be matched to the downloaded transaction.

Did this answer your question? If not, please provide more details of exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@kbrock @Boatnmaniac

Actually you can match one download to two or more existing transactions.

You do it via the "Match manually" option on the "Edit" dropdown of the downloaded transaction.

Quicken takes the two existing transactions and turns them into a split transactions.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note that this is one of the few differences between using automatic transaction entry mode and not using it. The manual match in the Downloaded Transactions tab can combine two or more transactions as @splasher pointed out.

But if you are using automatic transaction entry mode where the transactions go directly in the register it doesn't have this feature, manual match has to be one transaction with the exact amount, so you would have to use a procedure more like @UKR suggested.

On the other hand, one would have to question why the manually entered transactions weren't just entered as a split in the first place. The best policy would have been to combine them into a split before even doing the download.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.