strange bug - investment transaction report with 'transaction exchange rate' doesn't work.

Options
questionsforever
questionsforever Member ✭✭✭✭

when i run the report in base currency (USD), the values are correct for each trade.

when I run the report in canadian dollars (cad), WITHOUT transaction exchange rate set it seems to work, showing the values in the rows with 1.344 exchange rate (today's rate for example)

when I run the report in canadian dollars (cad) WITH transaction exchange rate set, it just spits out the US dollar values!!! The exchange rate for each transaction date is correct and it shows in the far right column, but it does not use it.

What could be bungled up? how can I fix it?

Answers

• questionsforever
    edited January 29
    Options

PS. I have more info on this bug. and it seems rather serious.

If the investment transactions report is subtotaled by: security, then the transaction exchange rate figures appear correct in the rows grouped by each security.

If the invesment transactions report is subtotaled by: category, then if you click the transaction exchange rate box , it suddenly not only ignores that but it ignores the entire report currency and defaults to USD (even if it is set to Canadian Dollars)!

Hopefully someone can reproduce this.

The reason I need to group by category is that I need a total subtotaled summary of all the buys and all the sells in an account separately. This is the only grouping that seems to produce this.

I have verified this bug with both my back-up file prior to moving some stuff between other registers (not related to this issue in general) so unless both my files are corrupt can anyone reproduce this?

Even more bizarre, if i turn off the early access register menus and click transaction exchange rate with the subtotaled by: category, it automatically UNCHECKS the transaction exchange rate box, it just doesn't want to let you set it at all!

• questionsforever
    edited January 30
    Options

this only occurs when subtotal by category. even more bizarre, when i try other accounts, it doesn't even show bought transactions that are there even though buy/sell is checked in the action type.

Even more bizarre, when I export to Excel, each row shows the correct Canadian transaction exchange rate amount in each row and the subtotal is correct.

Even more more bizarre! The subtotal is correct when listing the investment transaction report for each category but each row entry is wrong showing only the US dollar amount, regardless the Canadian dollar and transaction exchange rate is selected.

Even most bizarre of all, look at this entry 8/1/2022 pacb. It makes no sense relative to the other ones around it. A straight up buy. If I hover the mouse over this strange entry it suddenly flips from the category name to .unrlzdgain for a brief second and then back to the category name. but this line item makes no sense in this list as its categorized by 'boughtx' transactions only. If you click on the first 8/1/2022 pacb entry it just shows up as a buy but the price is 4.35*83=361.05 not this 397.25. For some reason it mixed it up but just for this one stock.

This is like the Matrix, something is disintegrating or corrupt behind the scenes here?? This investment transaction report is really buggy? I ran a validation and even rebuild lots (the 2nd item that takes a long time) and didn't seem to do anything or show any errors.

• pjmalouf
    pjmalouf Member ✭✭
    Options

We have been having exactly the same problem with multi currency transaction and conversion of our transactions.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the problem to quicken.

I have called support and they are really incapable of helping. I had even asked to escalate my concern and problem, sadly they did not escalate to an advanced team and the only recommendation I got was to create a new data file and reenter my transactions. BTW that date back in some cases to 1985.

Quicken needs to provide better quality control and more advanced support, I would be prepared to pay extra for that. My time is worth more.

Hopefully there will be an answer to this thread.

Thanks again for initiating and addressing the problem so thoroughly.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @questionsforever and @pjmalouf,

I have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, I would like to request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached to contribute to the investigation.

Please let me know once you have done so!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• pjmalouf
    pjmalouf Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the prompt response.

I will do so as requested

• pjmalouf
    pjmalouf Member ✭✭
    edited February 14
    Options

Hi Jasmine, I tried doing what you suggested and the report won't upload to quicken, see the last screenshot.

Also I had tried to upload a link to my sanitized file. Kindly advise.

This is what I wrote minus the link:

This is a link to my Sanitized File:

There is a problem with the program recording the correct transaction exchange rates causing incorrect reporting especially now that we are coming into tax season.

Furthermore I need to use the new interface for reports and it does not work with exchange rates as the old version shows blanks on the dropdowns, the program links for reporting are broken and need to be fixed.

In addition when I use the new interface and go to customize a report the program crashes and causes a bug report. All is recorded in the attached screenshots. FYI I have been a loyal Quicken user since 1985.

So I really do know the programs features and how to navigate it more than the tech support individuals at your call center. I would even be prepared to pay a premium price for enhanced features and the ability to use the program in the cloud, with support from a strong tech team.

• questionsforever
    Options

Also please add a report that tracks foreign currency inventory gain or loss relative to base currency based on all investment transactions , and using an average cost method..heck I'd pay 500 bucks a year more for this software if it had this one feature!!

• pjmalouf
    pjmalouf Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @questionsforever ("QFevr") I would also pay the same. I have always advocated that there are more than one level of users who would be prepared to pay up more for a a more advanced and robust program/app.

I have tested more than 25 different programs over the years, going back to the days of Dow Jones Market Manager Pro, to Morningstar, Seeking Alpha, Croesus, Investment Account Manager, Fund Manager, CapTools and the list goes on, undeterred by price just interested in a transactional database platform that can produce the results we require without constantly manipulating data in a spreadsheet.

I believe that Quicken may have the best opportunity if they use what is already built and address the few needs of slightly more detailed oriented investors looking to manage accounts independent of brokers and produce accurate reports and analysis.

Mr. Dunn, perhaps a survey of users interested in paying up to cover the costs of programming, would be well warranted and timely.

A recurring revenue platform is a great business and if it costs a couple more than $150 to go out to dinner I'm sure for the enhanced value and hopefully better financial management of their wealth, that $150 will be more than covered with more efficient and less buggy and more accurate platform.

To clearly state my interest, I would be prepared to pay an annual fee of $500 to $1,000.

I am sure you are aware that AI can also help with programming.

Hopefully there will be others that step up.

Thanks for listening/reading.

• questionsforever
    Options

Absolutely that Quicken has big potential as it is very nicely designed accounting software and can be used for simple or more complex cases. I even use it for small business (don't need Quickbooks). A few more features would definitely make it world class.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@pjmalouf hope you are aware of the fact that the CEO doesn't read these comments, and the likelihood of your comment ever getting to him is next to zero.

There is a contact page on the "About" page on Quicken.com that says it is for the "Office of the President".

But I believe your better bet would be to create an idea here specifying exactly what you need (and if it is more than one thing, split into multiple ideas). That is how Quicken Inc takes feature ideas (and they need to be voted up). To submit an idea, go to the Home page and select New Post → New Idea.

Vague statements like "I have always advocated that there are more than one level of users who would be prepared to pay up more for a a more advanced and robust program/app." are basically a waste of time.

No programmer can work to such a statement. You need to state what is needed. Bear in mind that you aren't dealing with an investment expert company, especially one that is familar with Canadian

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @pjmalouf,

Could you please attempt to submit your logs in two different parts? You would submit the top half of the logs first, then the bottom half.

Please let me know if this works!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• pjmalouf
    pjmalouf Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jasmine,

All logs have been sent including screenshots. I sent them in 4 different reports.

• pjmalouf
    pjmalouf Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Jasmine.

This discussion has been closed.