too many attachments?

Options
Blue2Green
Blue2Green Member ✭✭

If I attach a scanned receipt to every credit card transaction and every bill, will my Quicken file become too bit? Will it cause some other problem?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It could become huge. Scanned receipts are images, which aren't tiny files. Look at one of them, and then multiple it by thousands. you can easily end up with a data file many times the size it would be without them, and every backup will have them. Can Quicken handle it? Yes, because the attachments are stored in a separate location in the data file and only accessed when you access that attachment.

One suggestion I seen is to store them outside of Quicken (in a place you backup) and store a shortcut to it in Quicken.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Blue2Green
    Blue2Green Member ✭✭
    Options

How would I store a shortcut? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This was the idea:

I don't see any detailed instructions so I will give you them.

Right click and hold on the document and drag it to your Desktop.

Select Create a shortcut here.

Now in Quicken open the attachment dialog by clicking on the paper clip.

Drag and drop the shortcut from your Desktop to this dialog.

You should end up with this:

It is a copy of the shortcut that is on your Desktop, so you can delete the shortcut on your Desktop.

When you open the shortcut, it will open the original file that is on your disk.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd add one step to do first, store the scanned image in the location that you want it kept permanently before making the shortcut. because if you move it somewhere else, the shortcut in Quicken will not be correct any longer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.